new name for soul shooter

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

Would you like a new name for the soul shooter?

yes
61%
no
39%

Total votes: 69

UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich » June 17th, 2007, 12:10 am

turin wrote:But is that a problem? I also had no idea what Revenant meant when I first saw the unit, but that didn't mean I went and complained about it, it meant I said "hey, there's this cool word Revenant that apparently means some sort of undead! Maybe I'll have a use for that in the future."
but its derived from latin: venire with the preposition re and the ending, so if you translate it back, you have "someone who comes back". the chances that people know latin is way higher than the chances that anyone knows what an aptrgang is. the difference to draug is, that draug doesn´t sound that strange, so you just accept it, whereas a word like aptrgang will likely make you google it.

irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant » June 17th, 2007, 2:17 am

Truper wrote:I do have a question, however. If the name Aptrgang is adopted, in addition to Draug, it seems the Undead of Wesnoth are being pulled firmly into Norse mythology. Should Norse names be found for the rest of the faction?
Nah. Like many fantasy worlds, Wesnoth creatures are drawn from multiple sources. The basic world is roughly based on mediaeval Europe. The name 'Myrmidon' is from Ancient Greece. Naga are Indian. Ghouls are originally Arabic.

For better or worse, Dungeons and Dragons has firmly established the premise that creatures from a broad variety of myth can coexist in the same fantasy world.

If you need to explain it, you can always say that the fantasy world is (or has been) a nexus point of gateways to many different worlds. Earth, OTOH, only had occasional and short-lived gates that scattered individuals from different worlds throughout different times and places in Earth's history...

Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga » June 17th, 2007, 1:59 pm

Cuyo Quiz wrote:EDIT: Also, any intention to change Bone Shooter?. Bonefletcher sounded good.
I do find "Bone Shooter" much more KISS. One thing i do like in Wesnoth is it is KISS.
I fact i don"t really know what does "fletcher" means (probably because english is not my native tongue).
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan » June 17th, 2007, 2:25 pm

Jetryl wrote:
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I want to ask Temuchin if he knows of a death spirit /creature which wields a bow.
So would I - there apparently are very, very few; I myself don't know of any
No, I can't think of any either.

Truper

Post by Truper » June 17th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Noyga: a fletcher is one who fletches arrows - puts the feathers on them. Bonefletcher is thus an inappropriate name.

Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn » June 17th, 2007, 6:08 pm

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Jetryl wrote: So would I - there apparently are very, very few; I myself don't know of any
No, I can't think of any either.
Yeah, because in most mythology the undead/monsters didn't need such stuff. Elves/Faries do, because they are supposed to be very humanlike, as well as to offer commentary on some flaws of humanity.

The monsters however didn't have such a purpose...I went through 2 encyclopedia's (one of irish/english/scottish, one of just monsters) without finding anything that specific...:/
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well

bert1

Post by bert1 » June 17th, 2007, 6:32 pm

Truper wrote:Noyga: a fletcher is one who fletches arrows - puts the feathers on them. Bonefletcher is thus an inappropriate name.
One wonders what the division of labour is in undead society. Do Skeleton Archers make their own arrows? Do they also make the arrows for their superiors? Or do Walking Corpses do all the actual fletching and splitting of bone? I was also wondering if the arrows were fletched with slivers of bone rather than feathers, or maybe strips of mummified skin.

wsultzbach

Post by wsultzbach » June 17th, 2007, 7:26 pm

Personally, I am fine with the name "soul shooter".
What's this annoying thing that appears at the bottom of every one of my posts?

Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn » June 17th, 2007, 8:29 pm

I added a poll (sorry techmuchin if you didn't want one)

If you have more than one account (and you all know who you are) please only vote once. Honor system guys :)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well

CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB » June 17th, 2007, 8:33 pm

You forgot "I don't care" =)

If you don't care than don't vote--Thrawn :)
Last edited by CIB on June 17th, 2007, 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga » June 17th, 2007, 10:04 pm

I did not vote. What for ?
I don't mind a better name, but i'm not for changing a name just for the sake of xhanging a name, especially if the new name is worse....
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan » June 17th, 2007, 11:26 pm

Thrawn wrote:I added a poll (sorry techmuchin if you didn't want one)
Don't worry. I'm fine with it.

Alks

Post by Alks » June 17th, 2007, 11:53 pm

No mythology holds a spirit with a bow as a recognizable and distinct symbol(as far as I could tell). No word as 'sniper', 'hunter' would do also(private opinion). What about:

Tomb Guardian?

What further comes to my mind is that in many mythologies bow symbolizes sudden death (Nordic, Greek). Bowman is a messenger delivering gravy messages(symbolized as arrows). That was with Apollo, who was also a god of plague, as well as god of bowmen and art(see Pandar in Homer's Illiade). Coming further with that thought we could assembly words like:

Death Deliverer?
Messenger of Death/Doom/Whatever? (that sounds too bombastic, would require changing name of 'Soulless')

Bow symbolizes hunting(common to all religions). The only thing skeletons would hunt is souls/people who escape them. Obviously, hunting in the sense shouldn't be associated with forest at all.
That would lead to:

Tomb Ranger? (I don't like word 'ranger' also)
Soulhunter?
Tomb Stalker?
Cryptic Whatever?

Stilgar

Post by Stilgar » June 18th, 2007, 12:02 am

"Tomb Ranger" to me sounds too much like "Tomb Raider".
I think the general consensus is to lean away from "Soulhunter" or anything else with "Soul" in it.

I do kind of like "Tomb Guardian" though. Not sure how well it fits the nature of the unit or not though. I think the words "Cryptic" and "Crypt" aren't actually related (or if they are, the meanings have diverged somewhat.) "Crypt Stalker" might be a cool name for some monster but I don't think it's quite right for this guy.

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan » June 18th, 2007, 12:32 am

Master Stilgar wrote:I think the words "Cryptic" and "Crypt" aren't actually related (or if they are, the meanings have diverged somewhat.)
I don't think they are either, but I'll check.

But "Crypt Stalker" would be a good name for some Undead unit or other -- maybe a new upgrade for the Ghoul.