New traits (yeah, I've seen the FPI)

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

New traits (yeah, I've seen the FPI)

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Elusive
Unit has 5% more defense on all terrains

Resistant
Unit has 5% more resistance to all attacks

Dextrous
Unit gets 1 extra attack in melee

Please point out the flaws in these!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: New traits (yeah, I've seen the FPI)

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Elusive
Unit has 5% more defense on all terrains

Resistant
Unit has 5% more resistance to all attacks

Dextrous
Unit gets 1 extra attack in melee

Please point out the flaws in these!
the "flaws"[1] with the first two are they come in increments of 5%, whereas all other increments are in 10%. and 10% would be too powerful.

the MAJOR flaw with the third idea is, it is WAY too powerful. think about what would happen if a troll got it . . .

And i would also like to suggest a new trait. Called dextrous, like strong, but affects melee, not ranged. and maybe gives +2 damage but -2 health.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

Assuming you mean "ranged, not melee", I like the idea.

What's so wrong with increasing things by 5%?

And there could be a disadvantage to Dextrous....like HP reduced by your attack damage.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Assuming you mean "ranged, not melee", I like the idea.

What's so wrong with increasing things by 5%?

And there could be a disadvantage to Dextrous....like HP reduced by your attack damage.
yes, thats what i meant.

i never said I thought there was anything wrong with it. But Dave has repeatedly said he wants them kept in increments of 10%.

your 'fix' for dextrous is even worse. Traits should change the unit, yes, but not that much. giving it an extra strike and greatly reducing its health is just too much.if a troll warrior got it, it would go from being about 80 HP, 21-2 to being 59 HP, 21-3. that is a HUGE diff.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote: And i would also like to suggest a new trait. Called dextrous, like strong, but affects melee, not ranged. and maybe gives +2 damage but -2 health.
I'm also confused as to whether you mean ranged or melee with dextrous. Anyhow, I think +2 damage is too powerful either way. It'd be +1 damage.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Elvish_Pillager

It's also useless to melee units.

How about an Elusive trait that increases Defense by 10%, but decreases Resistance or HP by 10%?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dave wrote:
turin wrote: And i would also like to suggest a new trait. Called dextrous, like strong, but affects melee, not ranged. and maybe gives +2 damage but -2 health.
I'm also confused as to whether you mean ranged or melee with dextrous. Anyhow, I think +2 damage is too powerful either way. It'd be +1 damage.

David
affects RANGED, not melee. Does the same thing as strong otherwise.
Elvish Pillager wrote:It's also useless to melee units.

How about an Elusive trait that increases Defense by 10%, but decreases Resistance or HP by 10%?
My actual idea was to have it be the same trait as 'strong', but if the unit had a better ranged than melee it would effect the ranged, not the melee. So it is just a different effect of the trait 'strong'.

Defense and resistance should, IMHO, be left alone inside of the unit. They should only vary from unit to unit. Of course, you're entitled to your own opinion. :)
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

Why doesn't strength affect ranged attacks anyway? You do get more powerful shots from a bow if you're stronger. It just shouldn't affect magical attacks.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Why doesn't strength affect ranged attacks anyway? You do get more powerful shots from a bow if you're stronger. It just shouldn't affect magical attacks.
It'd be too powerful if it affected both.

---

I've been considering making 'dextrous' an Elvish-only trait. That'd make their archers especially distinct.

And yes, I know people are going to whine that their bowmen/mages/etc can't be dextrous then :p

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Elvish_Pillager

Dave wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:Why doesn't strength affect ranged attacks anyway? You do get more powerful shots from a bow if you're stronger. It just shouldn't affect magical attacks.
It'd be too powerful if it affected both.

---

I've been considering making 'dextrous' an Elvish-only trait. That'd make their archers especially distinct.

And yes, I know people are going to whine that their bowmen/mages/etc can't be dextrous then :p

David
Which dextrous?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Which dextrous?
+1 damage for all ranged attacks.

Also vaguely considered has been 'nimble' (or something): +1 ranged attack, -1 damage to ranged attacks. For Elves that shouldn't be so overpowered, since Elves tend to get alot of shots with their ranged attacks.

Maybe dextrous can be gotten by all ranged units, and 'nimble' would be Elf-only?

A dextrous + nimble Elf archer would be kinda cool, and I don't think over-powered, considering they have to use both traits up for their extra attack.

David
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Race-specified traits sound fun,
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If you make dextrous available to all units with a ranged attack, people will get mad when their spearmen get it and then advance, giving them a useless trait.

Or did you mean it would only be for units with their ranged attack as their primary attack?
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

Dave wrote:A dextrous + nimble Elf archer would be kinda cool, and I don't think over-powered, considering they have to use both traits up for their extra attack.

David
No more overpowered than an intelligent/loyal mage or strong/resilient fighter.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Elvish Pillager wrote:It's also useless to melee units.
Strong is useless to Dark Adepts.