Indicating when a unit is doing better/worse than usual dmg.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Naeddyr

Indicating when a unit is doing better/worse than usual dmg.

Post by Naeddyr »

Basically, it would be neat to see when a unit is hitting high or low due to time-of-day and defense-modifiers of the enemy. It would be doubly cool if you could also indicate different kinds of modifiers (but that'd be hard).

Possibly colour-coding the damage-floaters: blue for "worse than usual damage" and red for "better than usual", accompanied possibly by weak thuds and loud hits as SFX.

This was an old idea I posted in an old thread (about something else) that no one read or cared to reply to.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Sounds like a good idea for reference of newer players, though color coding might be unintuitive (I would have thought red for worse than usual damage). Bold/skinny numbers would be more intuitive, yet that would probably just look ugly.
deonjo

Post by deonjo »

maybe if for higher damage than usual you have the number in a red rectangular star shape, or (in some comics, the explosion shape)
Naeddyr

Post by Naeddyr »

I was thinking of that, though it would seem more "critical hitty" then. Possibly a slight golden aura around the numbers?
Viliam
Translator

Re: Indicating when a unit is doing better/worse than usual

Post by Viliam »

Naeddyr wrote:Basically, it would be neat to see when a unit is hitting high or low due to time-of-day and defense-modifiers of the enemy.
The time of day and the defense modifiers are known before the attack... so maybe this think could be indicated somehow before attack too. This gives either the attack cursor, or the attacking dialog... I would choose the dialog because it can be bigger.

I haven't play the game for a long time, but from what I remember, it seems to me that the attacking dialog should be re-designed. Now it is like "here is some basic info; and if you want more advanced info, click button here". My preferred form would be to display it all on the same screen... like the attack selection in the top part, and the damage calculation of the selected attack in the bottom part... here is a pic:
Attachments
Attack dialog
Attack dialog
attack.PNG (5.14 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Well another idea is to simplify the "what unit should I attack" allowing a preview of the attack before even clicking on the enemy unit.

Example, you hover the cursor over the enemy unit and it transforms into the sword attack icon (as it is now), you click on the enemy and it pops the combat window in which you can see your attack and enemy attack to your unit.

What it would be good, is that when you hover the cursor you also get a small text on the side of the sword cursor indicating your "attack"

Example

cursor --> [x] [5-4 sword]

As a note, this idea has the problem when an attacker has various attacks in which one it should display, but if there's already code to select the most favorable attack, it could be that one the displayed, and on attack pop up, let the player take the risks he wants.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Changeling

Post by Changeling »

Vendanna wrote:Example, you hover the cursor over the enemy unit and it transforms into the sword attack icon (as it is now), you click on the enemy and it pops the combat window in which you can see your attack and enemy attack to your unit.

What it would be good, is that when you hover the cursor you also get a small text on the side of the sword cursor indicating your "attack"

Example

Isn't this a little redundant, since it's already indicated in the sidebar?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Changeling wrote:
Vendanna wrote:Example, you hover the cursor over the enemy unit and it transforms into the sword attack icon (as it is now), you click on the enemy and it pops the combat window in which you can see your attack and enemy attack to your unit.

Example

Isn't this a little redundant, since it's already indicated in the sidebar?
Not really, since the sidebar doesn't tell you how much damage you'd inflict on any given enemy unit.
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

you could get all informations for all attacks in a pop up window...

this could actually be very useful, because sometimes its important how much damage you do exactly and sometmes it is difficult to calculate, if you are anywhere between two integers...

so you attackmove look at it and undo... this not only costs time, but its also not always possible, because you could cross the path of an invisible foe, and so you lost a unit, just to check how much dmg you would inflict...
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

UngeheuerLich wrote:so you attackmove look at it and undo... this not only costs time, but its also not always possible, because you could cross the path of an invisible foe, and so you lost a unit, just to check how much dmg you would inflict...
The ability to simulate combat between the selected unit and any other enemy unit (without moving to it) has been suggested before. It would be useful, and I don't think anyone disagreed with it, but nothing has happened with the idea since then...