Ghost Drain

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
ShadowCry

Ghost Drain

Post by ShadowCry »

I've already brought this up in the Strategies and Tips forum, but it fits here too.

I think there's a small problem in giving Drain to Ghosts. Drain itself isn't as much the problem as their inherent resistance to every weapon under the sun and their consistant defense. I don't think the Ghost needs to be tampered with, just remove Drain and leave it to Wraiths and Spectres. I do, however, like the Drain upgrade, where you heal half the damage you inflict. As I remember, in version 1.0 it was a set 3.

What do you fellows think?
What you perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.

How sad the shadows of hollow heroes.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

There's at least one special unit in every other faction with the ability to neutralize the ghost. At least, that's the principle. If you don't recruit those special units then you will have a hard time countering the ghost.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Null

Post by Null »

Sapient wrote:There's at least one special unit in every other faction with the ability to neutralize the ghost. At least, that's the principle. If you don't recruit those special units then you will have a hard time countering the ghost.
Which unit would this be in the Northerner Faction?
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

I guess archer.
If it's all a dream, now wake me up. If it's all real, just kill me.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Haibane hit the nail on the head: Orcish Archer is indeed the Northerner's counter.

Ghosts aren't that tough. If they didn't have Drain they'd be too easily slaughtered IMO.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

*pats Haibane*

It's always awesome in those weird times he posts.

Or maybe it's the smiley face... addictive...
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

I don't know what knalgans would have to counter ghosts.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

CIB wrote:I don't know what knalgans would have to counter ghosts.
Poachers and Thunderers.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Ulfserkers have a good shot at day, though if I am going to do that I would weaken the ghost first.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

Also gryphons can make good job (especially at day). But yes, imho knalgans are missing special unit to counter ghosts, more likely there are few usable units without great advantage.
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Poachers and thunderers? 18-1*50%*50% and 4-4*50%*50%? Isn't that an average of 5 damage for them? Imagine a lucky Ghost on a village vs Knalgans o.o
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

CIB wrote:Poachers and thunderers? 18-1*50%*50% and 4-4*50%*50%? Isn't that an average of 5 damage for them? Imagine a lucky Ghost on a village vs Knalgans o.o
Generally as good as every ranged unit counters (or at least ist good against) ghosts since it can't drain health back this way. Ask any expert player about that. But you are probably right that ghosts are nastiest against knalgans since they don't have fire to fight them. And you are also right that it is a good idea to let a ghost sit on a village since due to his high resistances he is relative to the damage he suffers healed more.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

The Knalgan counter unit for the ghost is the ulfserker. But, there are certain things you should do to increase his odds (soften the ghost with ranged units first or attack during the day...)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

Velensk wrote:Ulfserkers have a good shot at day, though if I am going to do that I would weaken the ghost first.
...What, down to 2 health? I've never seen an Ulfserker win against a Ghost. Ever.

Ghosts are definitely annoying for Knalgans, but Footpads tend to do the trick for me. Attack 'em with ranged and you tend to dodge their melee counterattacks often enough that Drain doesn't refill their health completely. Let a ghost get on a village, though, and Knalgans are pretty well screwed.
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

Ultimatum479 wrote: ...What, down to 2 health? I've never seen an Ulfserker win against a Ghost. Ever.
I did :roll:
But it's not so great weapon against ghosts, it's better to hit ghost with some (ranged) attack first, otherwise ghost has decent chance to win even at day (mb except mountains). And ulf has no chance at night usually. Well, in 1.2.x (stable).