Map

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Elvish Vanquisher

Map

Post by Elvish Vanquisher »

Would it be possible to make each hex on a wesnoth map a diiferent battle and you have to take all the hexs to win the battle.Also when you fight in each hex it becomes a scenio and each hex on the big map is the colour of the owner
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Possible, but painful and with big performance drop. And the single hex ownership on the "top" map would be probably useless as I can't imagine visiting each few hundred hexes with your units simply to gain control.

There might be some interesting possibilities with having a "world map" with potential smaller battles everywhere, but I don't think its worth the hassle.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Mist wrote:Possible, but painful and with big performance drop. And the single hex ownership on the "top" map would be probably useless as I can't imagine visiting each few hundred hexes with your units simply to gain control.

There might be some interesting possibilities with having a "world map" with potential smaller battles everywhere, but I don't think its worth the hassle.
Saving Elensefar.

Definitely worth the hassle.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Don't think so. WML is crude when it comes to storing data or generating it acording to an algorithm, and there would be awful lot of data storing (state of world map at the moment of mini battle commencement) and algorithmic army generation for each mini-battle (wich I don't think that can be reasonably bypased without disabling recruitment on world scale).

But hey, I may be wrong, I'm not a WML guru, those are just few impressions after reading the reference.
Imp

Post by Imp »

Do you mean something like Close Combat IV: Invasion Normandy, where the map (a large chunk of Europe) is split into "pieces" (smaller battle grounds), your army (made up of combat groups) is placed on some pieces and the enemy on others, and you can attack adjacent pieces (playing out the battle like a single Wesnoth scenario) to claim them and move combat groups there?

This is similar to the Command & Conquer system, where they show the next areas we're going to attack and try to win, right? Except with more control over where to attack?

If that's so, it sounds like an interesting idea. It would make for non-linear campaigns where the player can take many divergent paths to an objective, and it can be controlled by placing cave walls..
Elvish Vanquisher

exactly but i also like the isea of a world map has anyone ever played battle 4 middle earth 1 a map like that would be good
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Like Glowing Fish said:
Glowing Fish wrote:Saving Elensefar.
i.e. - it's already been done. (By me, incidentally.) The basic code has already been written - now you just need to adapt it to your specific purpose.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish Vanquisher

Would it possible to do the world map
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

No, the map editor has a hidden feature which makes it explode if you try to draw a world map with it. Don't try it.
Imp

Post by Imp »

zookeeper wrote:No, the map editor has a hidden feature which makes it explode if you try to draw a world map with it. Don't try it.
This reminds me. You owe me a new computer.
Elvish Vanquisher

could a new map editor be made that could do world map
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

It could be made, but someone would have to spend alot time on it x)
Elvish Vanquisher

But then the game would become very complez and would be a more buy in the shops game and i though that wesnoth was meant to be a free simple game so this idea is most likiely a bad one
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Huh?
Elvish Vanquisher

i meant is was probobly a bad idea