No autosaves option

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
borsook

No autosaves option

Post by borsook »

I know that wesnoth devs seem to react to words like 'optional' like your typical FPS shooter player to an alien, but still I'd like to propose making autosaves optional. I play wesnoth on 2 computers (for various RL reasons) one of them being pretty slow. While the game is playable on it, making an autosave lasts typically 3x the length of the turn itself. So being able to uncheck autosaves would be a life-saver, really.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Before someone shoots this down, let me just say that I agree wholeheartedly. IMHO the option should be a simple slider with which you'd specify how many autosaves max you want to have. Pick 4 and you always have autosaves of the last 4 turns.

IMHO this should also work so that autosaves would never get cleared automatically, but they'd just keep scrolling normally even if you switch campaigns, scenarios or whatever. Probably should ask whether you want to delete the now excessive autosaves if you decrease the value of the slider.
borsook

Post by borsook »

zookeeper wrote:Before someone shoots this down, let me just say that I agree wholeheartedly. IMHO the option should be a simple slider with which you'd specify how many autosaves max you want to have. Pick 4 and you always have autosaves of the last 4 turns.

IMHO this should also work so that autosaves would never get cleared automatically, but they'd just keep scrolling normally even if you switch campaigns, scenarios or whatever. Probably should ask whether you want to delete the now excessive autosaves if you decrease the value of the slider.
The idea of limiting the number of autosaves is worth noting, though not solving my specific problem, so please let's not forget about allowing to turn them off :wink:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

borsook wrote:The idea of limiting the number of autosaves is worth noting, though not solving my specific problem, so please let's not forget about allowing to turn them off :wink:
Obviously, the lowest setting would be "disabled".
Radament

Post by Radament »

I agree, autosaving does slow my computer down too.

And add to that that i frequently can't resist the urge to load when, for instance, a loyal unit dies. If I had to redo everything from scrap again, I'd simply go on having lost the unit.
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Am I getting this wrong or are you talking about the already existing "nosaves" command? o.o
borsook

Post by borsook »

CIB wrote:Am I getting this wrong or are you talking about the already existing "nosaves" command? o.o
Could you elaborate on this command? And if such functionality exist already in same way why not add it to options? Unless there is an assumption that every new player should read every little word of wesnoth documentation.

EDIT> Indeed the command pretty much does what I've been asking for, but it's not even listed on the wiki. Still I'd very much welcome it as an 'set & forget' option.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

borsook wrote:
CIB wrote:Am I getting this wrong or are you talking about the already existing "nosaves" command? o.o
Could you elaborate on this command? And if such functionality exist already in same way why not add it to options? Unless there is an assumption that every new player should read every little word of wesnoth documentation.
Almost all options are first tried out as a : command. The most useful ones eventually get promoted into the preferences window.
borsook

Post by borsook »

Darth Fool wrote:
borsook wrote: Could you elaborate on this command? And if such functionality exist already in same way why not add it to options? Unless there is an assumption that every new player should read every little word of wesnoth documentation.
Almost all options are first tried out as a : command. The most useful ones eventually get promoted into the preferences window.
Which is a very sensible aproach. It would be much better if there was a comprehensive list of commands on hand. :) Anyway, added this one to the wiki.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

If i remember correct the reason we didn't make this an option right away was that the string freeze was already active (to have translators be able to catch up and finish).

And then...

Well it was just forgotten and stayed as it was :P .

I agree that this is a useful option for the 1.3 branch.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Imp

Post by Imp »

I agree. The most common greet message these days is no longer, "gl+hf," it's "Remember :nosaves."
Luke the Flaming

still missing

Post by Luke the Flaming »

Yogi Bear wrote:Well it was just forgotten and stayed as it was :P .

I agree that this is a useful option for the 1.3 branch.
Sorry if I've missed anything... am I wrong or a simple "no autosaves" option (let aside the more evoluted "max # of autosaves" proposed by zookeeper) is still missing from the main menu (version 1.3.6.) ?
O, Wind, if Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

ESR is working on it, but he's on vacation atm.

https://mail.gna.org/public/wesnoth-dev ... 00001.html
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."