Include Unit tree page (script?) with Wesnoth

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Include Unit tree page (script?) with Wesnoth

Post by irrevenant »

I note that units.wesnoth.org is overloaded again.

Given that all the standard Unit information is on our hard drives, perhaps a link could be included with the Wesnoth install that displays the unit trees?

Perhaps even the same script used to generate units.wesnoth.org (possibly with a spiffier front end)?

That would be handy for those players who like to plan ahead (and are bugged by the gradual reveal) and it would reduce load on units.wesnoth.org...
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

units.wesnoth.org points to an external site so that might be overloaded but that's beyond your control.

There is the option to download a tarball here http://zapicm.googlepages.com/home on Windows Winrar can be used to unpack it and Linux and Mac should be able to handle tarball standard. That page also points to an alternative location hosted by my ISP including translations. And it contains the source code to generate the info yourself.

I've been thinking about including the script in the standard Wesnoth distribution, but I want to ask elricz's permission first.
elricz

Post by elricz »

I am using an account on freeshell.org, and it looks like it only has a daily quota of 50 Mb. I will check how to upgrade it, and keep you posted.
The whole site is static HTML and images, so it doesn't have any requirement above a browser to be able to look at it locally. Also, changing the appearance of the site is as easy as changing the css file, so you can have your local copy personalized at your liking.
Regarding the script, feel free to include it on the Wesnoth distribution, I have updated the latest version to the googlepage, with the images colorizer and the list of animations. It is only tested on Windows, and I am not sure if it is well documented, so if anyone wants to try it and encounter problems you can PM me.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Thanks for your permission, I'll look at it later and also test whether it works on linux.
elricz

Post by elricz »

Just an update on this, the daily quota has been upgraded to 200 MB, it shouldn't be any issues with connecting to the units site moving forward.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I've been thinking about this idea again, this time as a faction-designer.

Even though the initial website problem is fixed, it would be still useful to ship the script (and a shortcut icon or whatever to run it) with Wesnoth, because the script will (I assume) also build a tree for any custom factions that have been installed or are being worked on.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

irrevenant wrote:I've been thinking about this idea again, this time as a faction-designer.

Even though the initial website problem is fixed, it would be still useful to ship the script (and a shortcut icon or whatever to run it) with Wesnoth, because the script will (I assume) also build a tree for any custom factions that have been installed or are being worked on.
Not sure about the external factions, but the mainline ones... Seconded. Or I don't see any reason against this that isn't against the HTML manual that already ships with Wesnoth 1.3.8 and future releases.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

I found a great website that lists all of the current and old unit trees for wesnoth 1.2 and 1.3 and also has unit trees for 3 well-known user eras. here is the link: zapicm.freeshell.org
How to keep a dummy occupied:
Read below.

Read above.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

ubertuna-1 wrote:I found a great website that lists all of the current and old unit trees for wesnoth 1.2 and 1.3 and also has unit trees for 3 well-known user eras. here is the link: zapicm.freeshell.org
That's what http://units.wesnoth.org/ redirects to.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

irrevenant wrote:Even though the initial website problem is fixed, it would be still useful to ship the script (and a shortcut icon or whatever to run it) with Wesnoth, because the script will (I assume) also build a tree for any custom factions that have been installed or are being worked on.
The script it shipped with wesnoth in the data/tools/unit_tree directory.
Not sure whether it works for custom factions however, and also don't know whether it's packaged with the Windows installer.
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

Aethaeryn wrote:
ubertuna-1 wrote:I found a great website that lists all of the current and old unit trees for wesnoth 1.2 and 1.3 and also has unit trees for 3 well-known user eras. here is the link: zapicm.freeshell.org
That's what http://units.wesnoth.org/ redirects to.
Never noticed that. I found zapicm.freeshell.org on google. I feel like such a fool now :oops: .
Read below.

Read above.