turn bell to remain audible when other sound effects muted

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Jew unit

turn bell to remain audible when other sound effects muted

Post by Jew unit »

I listen to music while i play wesnoth and i play with all sounds off... cause i dont want to hear the fighting effects and evertying... but I'd still like to be able to hear the turn bell... is there some way I can still hear the turn bell w/o sound effects?

Sorry if my grammar is poor

Edited the subject line to be more meaningful --Irrevenant
Last edited by Jew unit on December 27th, 2006, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
2^x-1 mod x

governor

Post by governor »

So you want BfW to completely hijack the sound card, or torpedo audio playback apps, so that it interrupts your music so you can hear the turn bell?

Or do you want an audio option that toggles the turn bell only so that it is they only sound BfW will make?

Actually, the turn bell is not overwhelming enough anyway. It should sound more like a 747 500 feet above your head with about 40 seconds of deep bass accompanied by a mach 4 sonic boom. That way the whole house will shake and you know its your turn to play. :lol:

Its very easy to replace bell.wav in the sounds directory with another wav file.

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

This option will be in the first 1.3 release (no estimate as to when that will be, though, probably within some months). We'll even have a separate volume slider for the bell there.

Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

governor wrote:
Actually, the turn bell is not overwhelming enough anyway. It should sound more like a 747 500 feet above your head with about 40 seconds of deep bass accompanied by a mach 4 sonic boom. That way the whole house will shake and you know its your turn to play. :lol:
What we really need is a turn bell that forms a 9 foot tall, shimmering hologram in the middle of your room, and puts off the smell of a peppermint field after it rains, and then drops 5 tabs of acid in your coffee before giving you a gigantic electric shock.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.

mrchadt

Post by mrchadt »

When I play without the sound switched on I have the turn dialogue option checked.
no obligation

Gus

Post by Gus »

Just an idea which could very well be silly: what if you deleted (or moved) the sound files other than the turn bell? This way you could still have the sound on, but not the various osund effects. You could even somehow "select" which ones you want to leave in and which ones you don't.

I haven't tried this myself so i'm not sure it works, but i can't see any reason why it shouldn't. I don't think the game would crash because it doesn't find the sound files (but then again, i might be wrong completely, you'll have to try it by yourself ;) ).
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.

im the one you think of

Post by im the one you think of »

Glowing Fish wrote:
governor wrote:
What we really need is a turn bell that forms a 9 foot tall, shimmering hologram in the middle of your room, and puts off the smell of a peppermint field after it rains, and then drops 5 tabs of acid in your coffee before giving you a gigantic electric shock.
This just made my day (apart from the whole Christmas thing) it's not often that you hear a joke about drugs on these forums.

Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

That's because Maeglin is a conservative nanny who grew up in the Assemblies of God, whose summer camps until recently didn't allow co-ed swimtimes, and tends to frown on such things.

He let this one go. He's going to pretend that by the word acid here is meant the opposite of a base.

So, as zookeeper said, it will be done eventually. As mrchadt said, you can have the turn dialog set, giving you a visual cue, rather than an audio one.

Which, admittedly, doesn't help when you're in another window.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.