Distressed unit graphics.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Naeddyr

Distressed unit graphics.

Post by Naeddyr »

Would it be possible to have an option for units to have a simple "distressed" unit graphic to be used when a unit has low-HP, is on perilous terrain with low evade, is poisoned, slowed, and so forth? Humanoids could be showing slouching, or holding their weapons in a less a dynamic pose, leaning on spears and poles, etc.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I don't think this is a good idea in general - it can get confusing as to which unit is what type, and it serves very little purpose.

However, it is a VERY good idea to have this for the Cuttle Fish and other units with swarm. They SHOULD look different when damaged, since they have different stats damaged. And if it is coded for one, the possibility should be there for the other, even if it isn't used...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

AFAIK boucman added the code support to do this recently. The only problem I see is as soon as a unit's standing frame is changed all other frames also have to be modified. And I agree with Turin for the cuttle fish it would be very nice.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

turin wrote:I don't think this is a good idea in general - it can get confusing as to which unit is what type, and it serves very little purpose.

However, it is a VERY good idea to have this for the Cuttle Fish and other units with swarm. They SHOULD look different when damaged, since they have different stats damaged. And if it is coded for one, the possibility should be there for the other, even if it isn't used...
Agreed.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I believe we've had this discussion before with ahving units looks beaten and damaged when at low HP. For swarm it's a good idea, but requires too much artwork for every unit.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well it seems the engine now support it ... But it is not always a good idea, and it takes some time to draw the additional frames (and it's not really a priority).
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

yes, it can be done in 1.3
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Good idea for rare units with swarm, especially units composed of multiple sub-units (rats, etc.)

Horrible idea for normal units only because we can't possibly draw all the necessary graphics. If we had a 3d engine which could alter the poses of a unit's "skeleton (in modeling terms)", then it would be a great idea.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Not to criticize, but in my mind adding a single frame for each unit depicting critical HP (why would you need new frames for every animation? Every sprite-based game I can think of off-hand that used this only changed the standing/idle frame/animation) is a far better use of artistic resources than adding in things like directional attack/defense.
It both enhances gameplay (little things like this would ease the learning curve for newer players) and makes the overall presentation of the graphics look more streamlined.

Huge efforts to add in things like awkward-looking directional attacks and defenses are borderline bloat when compared to something as simple and intuitive as a visible critical health indicator.
(I am aware that not every artist in Wesnoth is gung-ho about the directional attack/defense project, but I've seen enough artists being overly enthusiastic about it to warrant a comment regarding it)

But then again talking about artistic resources is kinda silly in a community where if you want something done, you can just do it yourself. :P
Last edited by Gafgarion on November 29th, 2006, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
JW

Post by JW »

It might be cool, but I agree with turin and Jetryl right now. No need to give the artists (Jetryl being one of them, mind you) another huge load of work in addition to all the stuff they have to do right now.

It would be cool stuff for aspiring artists to work on though - which I encourage.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

As a simple fix, how about using the poisoning code to tinge badly-wounded units with red to represent their lost blood - or alternatively make them look pale to represent loss of blood. The latter would also work for bloodless units like skeletons etc.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Simons Mith wrote:As a simple fix, how about using the poisoning code to tinge badly-wounded units with red to represent their lost blood - or alternatively make them look pale to represent loss of blood. The latter would also work for bloodless units like skeletons etc.
EVER SO SLIGHTLY darkening and desaturating a very weakened unit might actually work well for a subtle visual cue. It's a real balancing act, though - not overdoing it.