Showing defense ratings on units.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Naeddyr

Post by Naeddyr »

Damage, or wound bars sound like an excellent idea. Would it start "loading" at the bottom, like a simple time-reversed HP bar? Does it start as zero, then a little green pip at the bottom, and then it becomes redder and bigger with more damage?

Though it makes me worry how to tell high-HP units from low-HP.

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Further minor refinement

Post by Eleazar »

Simons Mith wrote:If we are going to have disappearing damage bars, I would also suggest swapping over the positions of the XP and HP bars, and placing the orbs above the XP bar. Reason being, the XP bar, once it appears, is more 'persistent' than the damage bar. You can have a fully-healed unit with any number of XP, (so the XP bar would be visible, the damage bar not).....
That doesn't exactly work. The orb must stay over the right-most bar (assuming the current bars on the left situation), because of the space allowed by the hex. Putting the orb over the left-most bar either forces the bars to be unacceptably short, or unacceptably overlapping the unit, or unacceptably small.

I think the orb should stay over the more persistant, XP bar, but i won't go down fighting for that.
Naeddyr wrote:Damage, or wound bars sound like an excellent idea. Would it start "loading" at the bottom, like a simple time-reversed HP bar? Does it start as zero, then a little green pip at the bottom, and then it becomes redder and bigger with more damage?

Though it makes me worry how to tell high-HP units from low-HP.
I think the color should start from the top- to indicate this is a count-down unlike the HP bar. "Zero" is an invisible HP bar. The color would go from pure green, to pure yellow, to pure red. There would not be a reason for the current 2 colors of green. The percentage of damage can be roughly gagued by comparing the unfilled (preferably black) portion of the bar to the colored portion.

I think it's been agreed that the primary justification for putting info over a unit is to display variable information. Total HP doesn't vary, except for the resiliant, which is hardly significant enough to be obviously seen on the HP bar. And HP is already roughly indicated by the size of a unit. So i think it's worth the trade off (even for noobs) to unclutter the display at the expense of loosing the Full-health relative comparison of HP between unit types.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity

Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Eleazar wrote:
Flametrooper wrote:If we're still on repositioning the HP/XP/damage or whatever bars. they could go above the unit, near the top of the hex, where most units don't have anything. Obstructs units less, if that's you're worry.
I'm annoyed enough at hearing bad ideas from other thread being repeated, to do a demonstration of how bad this idea is.

1) the bars have a much shorter maximum length, because of the narrow space at the top of the hex.
2) Once the bars come on, they will always chop off the head of tall units.
3) In a crowded battle-field any bars on the very edge of the hex- will be nearly half-way between 2 units, making it much less obvious which bar belongs to which unit.
Okay, okay, it was just a random idea. Sorry.

If there's "damage" bars, I think the outline of the bar should stay, even when the unit is not damaged, and just be empty. Having no bar when the unit is undamaged is IMHO not that good, and thus we could keep the orb on it. Also, if it's empty it'll be transparent after all, except the 1px outline, so people could see the unit through it still.

Naeddyr

Post by Naeddyr »

Alternatively, you could show how long the damage bar is with some other device than an outline bar or dark rectangle - like a "stop" at the bottom, a plug that hovers somewhere below the blob and shows approximately how long the bar is.