Saving wasted movement points. Balance quick trait.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

Wasn't rebalancing the quick trait one of the reasons this discussion started ?

An alternative to the present quick trait could be as follows:

Units only get the +1 movement point if at least one movement point was left over from the last turn. There is no HP penalty.

The name for the skill might have to change, but I can't come up with something better atm. Any suggestions ?
Ratha

Post by Ratha »

I think the proposed idea has its merits, but could fairly easily cause a drastic gameplay shift and call the kiss flag into play.

As i understand it, by the original idea:

A unit with MP left over at the end of a turn can continue (be forced?) onto a terrain that requires more movement than he had left at the end of last turn. But this can only happen on the first move of his next turn.

This move will obviously eat up all the reserve points the unit had, and cost 1-2 more points to finish.

Example: A unit with 7mp starts on plains, moves to a hill, that costs 3 points, then can move to 4 more plains.

If he had the 'rest and recover' ability, *and* ended the last turn with 2 mp (unable to climb the mountain) he could then use those 2 reserve points plus one point to take the mountain and move 6 more squares across plains.

The time that this is useful is for making your way across very difficult terrain, caves or mountains, or large stretches of water for most units. Terrain that you can move at most one square, possibly two. This would allow you to move 2 or possibly 3 squares on those terrain.
Ratha

Post by Ratha »

The reason im for the idea: Its very annoying to get stuck 'in the mud' so to speak with slow units.

The reason im against: Its would be very easy to do some positioning and abuse this, and also fairly complex for users to be able to see/understand what an enemy unit was doing, or think he was safe and get attacked by a unit that was 2-3 hexes outside his 'normal' reach. Yes it would make up for lost movement not spent the turn before, but i think the negatives would outweigh the positives.

A possible way to counter/balance this: Dont give the unit extra movement points. Allow a unit that ended his turn before using up all his points to move into any hex (or only one on a pre-determined move path)at the start of next turn at a cost of one less movement point.

A mountain would take 2 instead of 3, hills 1 instead of 2, plains = 1, no bonus. This way a unit would only possibly gain a bonus when spending many turns in rough terrain, and could only gain a maximum advantage of 1 hex of movement.

You could even further refine it to say that it only works on terrain that would normally cost 3 or more movement points for you to enter, insuring its use only gives advantage to 'stuck' units. And like i say, only for the first movement (or possibly forced movement) on that unit's next turn.

IE: first mountain costs 2, second costs 3, third costs 3.

However adding this idea/feature would surely cause various balance issues with many maps, and possibly give more advantage to different races. In the end, i think that further tweaking of the terrain system would be better than time spent trying to hack on additional movement to our current units.

Possible traits/ability that give a unit +1 move (reduce cost by one) when moving into the *first* hex of certain terrain type or types per turn would be a lot easier to control and balance if its really necessary to add.