Guns OUT!!

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

quartex wrote:I think we all just need to calm down. This topic has been discussed many times before. We just have to remember that people are going to have different opinions, and guns in a fantasy setting can be a rather controversial issue. But I agree with dave, we can't please everyone, in the past we have often followed the general will of the community, though main developers like Dave do get vetoing power (since they are actually building the game).
yeah. there was a poll on this recently, no? and the results were basically this:

about 1/4 thought there should be as many guns as we want
about 1/2 said only dwarves should have guns
about 1/4 though there should be no guns at all

i think that shows that giving dwarves, but only dwarves, guns is the best way to please everyone.

so lets not discuss this any more. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote: yeah. there was a poll on this recently, no? and the results were basically this:

about 1/4 thought there should be as many guns as we want
about 1/2 said only dwarves should have guns
about 1/4 though there should be no guns at all
Yeah, I'm just happy that the results weren't 30% saying we should have as many guns as we want, 30% saying we should have guns only for dwarves, and 40% saying we should have no guns at all.

Then we'd probably have to explain to people, a number of times over, why the 'first past the post' voting system is useless [1].

David

[1] This is the voting system that many countries, including the United States, uses.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

MMP all the way!
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Dave wrote:Then we'd probably have to explain to people, a number of times over, why the 'first past the post' voting system is useless [1].
Heh. Condorcet rules.
MattiRoto

Post by MattiRoto »

Okay I missed the first poll but I think guns should be allowed for
Duelists.Simply because if every unit in the game has one of a very few types of weapons then it gets boring.

We could make the Duelists upgrade to Pirates,and come from across the ocean..having aquired guns abroad.

just me going off in lala land again :P
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If your argument for guns is that 'you want more variety in weapons', it is a flawed argument.

There are javelins, crossbows, slings, bow+arrows, throwing stars, etc. you can't really argue that we should include guns for more diversity in weapon choice.

IMHO, pirates, and duelists, really go against the 'feel' of wesnoth. they seem like they are from the 1600-1700, not the medievalish time period where wesnoth is set.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote: IMHO, pirates, and duelists, really go against the 'feel' of wesnoth. they seem like they are from the 1600-1700, not the medievalish time period where wesnoth is set.
I concur with this, although otoh I think that the 'fencer' unit does work fairly nicely in the game.

My preferred time setting for Wesnoth would be ~500AD [1] or earlier.

David

[1] Although I think we should concentrate more on creating a coherent fantasy world than worrying about precisely what era Wesnoth is set in.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Figa

For all of the talk about not having guns.....

Post by Figa »

Don't both the Duelist and Dragoon units both have "pistol" attacks. Is that not a gun? It seems this thread was talking just about the dwarves but I noticed that both of these units have guns (pistols) and there is no chance of calling them elemental pistols. Turin had mentioned earlier that Wesnoth doesn't have the minerals to make gunpowder, not sure where he came up with that, but how then do these units works. I was just curious that noone has mentioned that these units already have GUNS. It seems that by one saying that Wesnoth has no guns then one has not looked at all the units.

Figa

Each day begins in darkness; do not overvalue the light
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

You are quite correct, Figa, both the Duelist and Dragoon presently have pistols. However, after extensive discussion, it has been determined that only dwarves will have "guns" in Wesnoth. The Duelist and Dragoon are awaiting a redesign.
Figa

Post by Figa »

Thanks Sangel for the info update. What kind of redesign is planned or is that on the backburner for now?
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Renaming pistol "compact-crossbow" ofcourse!
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Or maybe just "pistol-bow". Shorter.

I'm guessing the redesign wouldn't involve more than just altering the pistol to look like a small crossbow. It is on the backburner right now, but when someone gets their hands on it, I'm guessing it won't be too hard. I might even do it myself when I have a free moment.