multipayer presence jingle

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Celestial

multipayer presence jingle

Post by Celestial »

Hi,

I have played and followed development of wesnoth since a few time now (0.6.x) and I enventually decided to register and post something :)
First of all, I'd like to thank David and all other contributors to the project for this great game. Big THX to all of you.

I experienced my first multiplayer games yesterday on devsrv.wesnoth.org. I had fun with big map 2 vs 2.
I used to come on the server to see if there were some people there, but usually there was nobody ... until yesterday, 5-6 people at the same time.

So here I come with a modest idea. I think many people are doing like me, that is : come on the server, look for players, then get out because there was nobody. It would be cool tho have an option in preference menu to let wesnoth run in the background in windowed mode with music turn off (and do something else) and when somebody come on the server a small music is played to warn of the presence, so we can switch back to wesnoth.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

that's a good, idea, I do like you ocasionally....

however, most wesnoth players arrange their games on #wesnoth on freenode... you might want to go there to find other players.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think this is a good idea. At least to have the sound when a player comes onto the server.
Boucman wrote: however, most wesnoth players arrange their games on #wesnoth on freenode... you might want to go there to find other players.
I don't think that this solution is going to scale as more and more players want to play multiplayer games.

Requiring that users use an entirely different protocol that many of them may not be familiar with or have used before does not make things as easy as possible for users.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I completely agree with you, Dave...

:D

I was just pointing out that if Celestial want to find other players, IRC is the best way to go right now...

I don't think it's a good thing, but I don't want to see celestial all alone on server.wesnoth.org :D