Mage trait: Astute

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
ILikeProgramming
Posts: 837
Joined: April 14th, 2005, 4:17 am

Post by ILikeProgramming » September 24th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Maeglin Dubh wrote:You forgot to factor in the 70% CTH. Whether or not that makes a difference, I'm not sure. I'm not feeling well enough to do math.
It shouldn't because the 70% is multiplies by both.

Lord_Aether
Posts: 127
Joined: November 11th, 2005, 9:06 am
Location: California

Post by Lord_Aether » September 24th, 2006, 9:41 pm

I thought we were talking MAX damage, in which every attack hits. In which CTH doesn't matter.
Mac OS X 10.5.7
Wesnoth 1.6.2

Assasin
Posts: 956
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 3:51 am
Location: Where ever my mind takes me
Contact:

Post by Assasin » September 25th, 2006, 2:30 am

I vote to make it similar to dextrous. It sounds a lot less complicated and serves the same purpose, especially if the mage already had the magical ability.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.

User avatar
Noyga
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1790
Joined: September 26th, 2005, 5:56 pm
Location: France

Post by Noyga » September 25th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Then it would be redundant with dextrous, and will overpower dextrous, astute mages like some elven sorceresses

User avatar
Jetrel
Art Director
Posts: 7242
Joined: February 23rd, 2004, 3:36 am
Location: Midwest US

Post by Jetrel » October 2nd, 2006, 7:49 pm

Noyga wrote:Then it would be redundant with dextrous, and will overpower dextrous, astute mages like some elven sorceresses
It would be intended to never appear on units that have dextrous - either elven sorceresses would not get it, or would get it and not dextrous.

Note that this applies to both suggested forms.

Darth Fool
Retired Developer
Posts: 2633
Joined: March 22nd, 2004, 11:22 pm
Location: An Earl's Roadstead

Post by Darth Fool » October 2nd, 2006, 8:10 pm

How about astute adding an extra +10% chance to hit on range attacks, cumulative with magic attacks. Thus, an astute mage would have an 80% chance to hit. An astute elvish shaman would still benefit. Actually they could benefit more if they are attacking someone on good defensive terrain, Unless you make it so that the 10% is not an addative but a multiplicative factor[, ie 70%->77%, 20%->22%. An astute orcish grunt (ok, this would only be possible if a scenario designer set it up this way) would have no benefit as he has no ranged attack.

The proposed modification of the # and power of attacks seems more like it should be named "rapid" or some such ("quick" already being taken) and would work equally well for melee. Imagine a rapid troll 7-2 -> 5-3 or a rapid thunderer 18-1 -> 9-2.

TheLost1
Posts: 154
Joined: April 9th, 2006, 1:12 am

Post by TheLost1 » October 3rd, 2006, 12:34 am

I like rapid, more than astute...


OOOOOHHH, OOOOOOOOHHH, LOOK, A BANDWAGON, WAIT FOR ME!!!!!
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."

User avatar
Jetrel
Art Director
Posts: 7242
Joined: February 23rd, 2004, 3:36 am
Location: Midwest US

Post by Jetrel » October 3rd, 2006, 3:18 am

Darth Fool wrote:How about astute adding an extra +10% chance to hit on range attacks, cumulative with magic attacks. Thus, an astute mage would have an 80% chance to hit. An astute elvish shaman would still benefit. Actually they could benefit more if they are attacking someone on good defensive terrain, Unless you make it so that the 10% is not an addative but a multiplicative factor[, ie 70%->77%, 20%->22%. An astute orcish grunt (ok, this would only be possible if a scenario designer set it up this way) would have no benefit as he has no ranged attack.
:) Yeah, that could work.
Darth Fool wrote:The proposed modification of the # and power of attacks seems more like it should be named "rapid" or some such ("quick" already being taken) and would work equally well for melee. Imagine a rapid troll 7-2 -> 5-3 or a rapid thunderer 18-1 -> 9-2.
Other words:

Lithe, Nimble, Deft, Spry

I'm game for "Deft", since it would work as well for physical and mental things.

TheLost1
Posts: 154
Joined: April 9th, 2006, 1:12 am

Post by TheLost1 » October 3rd, 2006, 3:19 am

nimble sounds better IMHO
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."

Flametrooper
Posts: 984
Joined: February 21st, 2006, 11:02 pm
Location: 0x466C616D65

Post by Flametrooper » October 3rd, 2006, 3:25 am

How about Agile?
hey.

TheLost1
Posts: 154
Joined: April 9th, 2006, 1:12 am

Post by TheLost1 » October 3rd, 2006, 4:41 am

In retrospect, deft is probably the best, because the others could be confsed with quick.
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."

Darth Fool
Retired Developer
Posts: 2633
Joined: March 22nd, 2004, 11:22 pm
Location: An Earl's Roadstead

Post by Darth Fool » October 3rd, 2006, 3:03 pm

I like spry. It gives the proper impression that the unit is attacking more vigourously, but to less effect.

YbeRn00b
Posts: 144
Joined: April 3rd, 2006, 8:56 pm

Post by YbeRn00b » October 3rd, 2006, 4:28 pm

I like "ranged -1 damage & +1 attacks". Seems powerful enough since they depend so much on their ranged attacks.

But I don't remove "strong" from mages. In my eyes all mages are very unique individuals and should have many traits to choose from to reflect this.

Darth Fool
Retired Developer
Posts: 2633
Joined: March 22nd, 2004, 11:22 pm
Location: An Earl's Roadstead

Post by Darth Fool » October 3rd, 2006, 6:56 pm

YbeRn00b wrote: But I don't remove "strong" from mages. In my eyes all mages are very unique individuals and should have many traits to choose from to reflect this.
Besides which, there is always louie from Rune Soldier: rune-soldierhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rune_Soldier

*hides in shame*

Post Reply