Mage trait: Astute

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:You forgot to factor in the 70% CTH. Whether or not that makes a difference, I'm not sure. I'm not feeling well enough to do math.
It shouldn't because the 70% is multiplies by both.
Lord_Aether

Post by Lord_Aether »

I thought we were talking MAX damage, in which every attack hits. In which CTH doesn't matter.
Mac OS X 10.5.7
Wesnoth 1.6.2
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

I vote to make it similar to dextrous. It sounds a lot less complicated and serves the same purpose, especially if the mage already had the magical ability.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Then it would be redundant with dextrous, and will overpower dextrous, astute mages like some elven sorceresses
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Noyga wrote:Then it would be redundant with dextrous, and will overpower dextrous, astute mages like some elven sorceresses
It would be intended to never appear on units that have dextrous - either elven sorceresses would not get it, or would get it and not dextrous.

Note that this applies to both suggested forms.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

How about astute adding an extra +10% chance to hit on range attacks, cumulative with magic attacks. Thus, an astute mage would have an 80% chance to hit. An astute elvish shaman would still benefit. Actually they could benefit more if they are attacking someone on good defensive terrain, Unless you make it so that the 10% is not an addative but a multiplicative factor[, ie 70%->77%, 20%->22%. An astute orcish grunt (ok, this would only be possible if a scenario designer set it up this way) would have no benefit as he has no ranged attack.

The proposed modification of the # and power of attacks seems more like it should be named "rapid" or some such ("quick" already being taken) and would work equally well for melee. Imagine a rapid troll 7-2 -> 5-3 or a rapid thunderer 18-1 -> 9-2.
TheLost1

Post by TheLost1 »

I like rapid, more than astute...

OOOOOHHH, OOOOOOOOHHH, LOOK, A BANDWAGON, WAIT FOR ME!!!!!
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Darth Fool wrote:How about astute adding an extra +10% chance to hit on range attacks, cumulative with magic attacks. Thus, an astute mage would have an 80% chance to hit. An astute elvish shaman would still benefit. Actually they could benefit more if they are attacking someone on good defensive terrain, Unless you make it so that the 10% is not an addative but a multiplicative factor[, ie 70%->77%, 20%->22%. An astute orcish grunt (ok, this would only be possible if a scenario designer set it up this way) would have no benefit as he has no ranged attack.
:) Yeah, that could work.
Darth Fool wrote:The proposed modification of the # and power of attacks seems more like it should be named "rapid" or some such ("quick" already being taken) and would work equally well for melee. Imagine a rapid troll 7-2 -> 5-3 or a rapid thunderer 18-1 -> 9-2.
Other words:

Lithe, Nimble, Deft, Spry

I'm game for "Deft", since it would work as well for physical and mental things.
TheLost1

Post by TheLost1 »

nimble sounds better IMHO
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

How about Agile?
hey.
TheLost1

Post by TheLost1 »

In retrospect, deft is probably the best, because the others could be confsed with quick.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I like spry. It gives the proper impression that the unit is attacking more vigourously, but to less effect.
YbeRn00b

Post by YbeRn00b »

I like "ranged -1 damage & +1 attacks". Seems powerful enough since they depend so much on their ranged attacks.

But I don't remove "strong" from mages. In my eyes all mages are very unique individuals and should have many traits to choose from to reflect this.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

YbeRn00b wrote: But I don't remove "strong" from mages. In my eyes all mages are very unique individuals and should have many traits to choose from to reflect this.
Besides which, there is always louie from Rune Soldier: rune-soldierhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rune_Soldier

*hides in shame*