[split] gender choice selection

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Para wrote:Oh though it would be nice to be able to choose your leader gender instead of always being male
I suggest selecting a random gender. Just like when you recruit a unit. It would be relatively easy to implement; no changes in user interface required.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

No.

Gender choice - acceptable, though I don't think it's a good idea. A random gender? No freakin way,
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

turin wrote:No.

Gender choice - acceptable, though I don't think it's a good idea. A random gender? No freakin way,
Any particular reason you're so vehement?
(I assume she's talking about units that already have female graphics.)
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Then how about a small button in UI? (Enabled only if there are 2 genders for given unit.)

(I suggest to split this topic.)
Attachments
Screenshot - select hero gender in game lobby
Screenshot - select hero gender in game lobby
gender.png (126.26 KiB) Viewed 5346 times
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

done
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I think that's a great idea, just as Viliam's "screen shot" shows it :D
But I don't know if it is worth the effort because most units are either only male or only female. Only very few units have got both genders (The only units I can think of right now are elvish archer and thief (or have all outlaws got both genders?)).
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Footpad, Mage, Dark Adept.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

For MP leaders, randomness seems just fine. I think Turin was complaining because he thought we were talking about campaigns... well, are we?!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
toms

Post by toms »

Elvish Pillager wrote:For MP leaders, randomness seems just fine. I think Turin was complaining because he thought we were talking about campaigns... well, are we?!
At campaigns, it's difficult to have a random gender leader. For an example, the HttT storyline would just crash with a female leader. lol heiress to the throne :P
IMO it should be left up to the campaign creator. With WML the leader can even be random or a chosen gender at campaigns.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

Good idea for MP leaders. I have proposed it once on gna. Btw, random genre by default is not a such a good thing - the Viliam's proposal of selecting the genre for the leaders who can have both genres is much better (if you like random, add a 3rd option - random - together with male and female :P). There are like 10 leaders which could use that feature in the default era; maybe more in other eras.

Edited : Elf captains dont have a female variation, right ?
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

I don't see any problem with adding this to MP.
Boucman wrote:done
Wait, done splitting the topic or adding the feature? (Just asking because you're the patch monkey.)
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

I agree with Mythological. Give chance to girls if they wish. There is hardly reason for gender discrimination :)

They haven't Myth, but it can be improved to show gender of leader even if there is no choice (there won't be options to pick), just for information. Anyway, this is example.
If it's all a dream, now wake me up. If it's all real, just kill me.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

No to random genders, anywhere, unless there is an option to disable it. Just like it would be a bad idea to always get a random faction (no option to choose your faction), it is a bad idea to always get a random gender.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

turin wrote:No to random genders, anywhere, unless there is an option to disable it.
You must then mean recruiting, too?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

zookeeper wrote:
turin wrote:No to random genders, anywhere, unless there is an option to disable it.
You must then mean recruiting, too?
Um, yes, I do. (If you haven't figured it out, I'd prefer to have no units that can be both male and female). But it is more important in the selection of the leader's gender, because the leader represents the player, and the player shouldn't be forced to be a different gender... for example, if I'm male, I might not want to appear as a female, even if I don't mind if some of my troops are female.
The World of Orbivm