Modified berserk

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Jgrr

Modified berserk

Post by Jgrr »

Another group of related Ability ideas, probably for UMC:

Harass - If the unit hits, it gets a free shot (and the same thing applies recursively). Alternatively: The unit can continue attacking after its normal number of attacks as long as the last attack was a hit. Variation: The unit can continue attacking until it has missed X times. The enemy retaliates normally, independent of the number of attacks (unless it dies, of course). The simplest variation of this is an unit that can continue attacking until it misses for the first time.

Weird berserk - (this was how I originally thought Berserk to work) - The unit attacks once, the enemy gets one retaliation, the units take turns in attacking (only one attack per time) until one of them is dead.

Both these attacks could be used to substitute Berserk on extremely angry, fierce, or vengeful units.
Lord_Aether

Re: Modified berserk

Post by Lord_Aether »

Jgrr wrote: Weird berserk - (this was how I originally thought Berserk to work) - The unit attacks once, the enemy gets one retaliation, the units take turns in attacking (only one attack per time) until one of them is dead.
Problem with this one: Units like the Orc Grunt would be much more powerful than, say, the Elf Fighter. Units are balanced in the number of attacks versus amount of damage per strike, so high damage low rep attacks would be more powerful when attacked with this ability.
Mac OS X 10.5.7
Wesnoth 1.6.2
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Modified berserk

Post by zookeeper »

Lord Aether wrote:Problem with this one: Units like the Orc Grunt would be much more powerful than, say, the Elf Fighter. Units are balanced in the number of attacks versus amount of damage per strike, so high damage low rep attacks would be more powerful when attacked with this ability.
Um...isn't that exactly the same argument as saying that berserk is problematic since it's much more powerful on a dwarvish fighter than on an ulfserker or footpad? Units are not balanced "in the number of attacks versus amount of damage per strike". They're balanced as a part of a faction, taking all their abilities and other specialties into consideration.

Besides, he did even say that these are probably for an UMC, so...wtf?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

zookeeper, he's talking about those units' power AGAINST a weird-berserker.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

For clarity.... It sounds like instead of going.....

X-Y-X-Y-XXX-Y-X-Y-XX-death, it would go X-Y-X-Y-X-Y-X-Y-X-death, where X is a four attack berserk unit, and Y is a two attack normal unit.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Made perfect sense to me. it's an interesting idea, and there's no balancing reason not to do it (obviously some units are more powerful against the berserkervarianter than others, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that). But I dont' really like the idea of splitting up damage and strikes numbers more than is already done.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:For clarity.... It sounds like instead of going.....

X-Y-X-Y-XXX-Y-X-Y-XX-death, it would go X-Y-X-Y-X-Y-X-Y-X-death, where X is a four attack berserk unit, and Y is a two attack normal unit.
If that's the case, then it is imho really unbalancing, so highly unlikely to happen in mainline. Just imagine ulf vs mage... But if someone wants to underpower ulf so badly in some UMC...
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

With 2 "weird" berserk, we have a problem !
Weird berserk - The unit attacks once, the enemy gets one retaliation, the units take turns in attacking (only one attack per time) until one of them is dead.
Very Weird berserk - The unit attacks twice, the enemy gets one retaliation, the units take turns in attacking (only one attack per time) until one of them is dead.

So now image we have a unit with Weird berserk that fight a unit with Very Weird berserk... What does happen ?
- The 'Weird berserk' unit should use as many strike as the other unit
- The 'Very Weird berserk' unit should use two time many stikes as the other unit
Well ... The only solution is they use 0 strikes :D :lol:
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Hm... lets say that blow activates the ability, then we have:

w - weird
v- very weird

w(vv(w(vv(w(vv(w(vv))))))), opened recursively, and each closed when one unit dies.

Of course im not serious now. 8)
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

You weirdos, you! :D

OK, yet another variation of berserk (let me call this the "charserk")

Charserk: The number of attacks (rather than damage) on both sides are doubled. If both units are still alive after all the attacks, the combat ends. This ability has effect on the attack only.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Defserk: serk for defending. Lol.
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Ooh! I have an idea!

I call it Weird Berserk.

Basically, whenever you attack with this weapon, you get all your swings first, then the opponent gets all his swings (even if he's dead.) If the first unit dies after killing the enemy, then the enemy not only fails to actually die, but also gets a full heal! If neither unit dies, they repeat, except with the opposite unit attacking first!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Ooh! I have an idea!

I call it Weird Berserk.

Whenever you attack, you get your first swing, then enemy his, like usual combat, except that combat continues even when enemy dies. The combat ends after attacker gets less than 0 hp. Then enemy unit gets full hp. If enemy unit doesnt have melee attack, attacker dies instantly.
Lord_Aether

Post by Lord_Aether »

I like it! :roll:
Mac OS X 10.5.7
Wesnoth 1.6.2
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

How about: Tiresome Berserk!
Both units attack with the same number of attack that they have!!! how's that sound? :P