Repositioning HP and XP bars

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Dave wrote:So is there anyone at all who, like me, thinks that before the recent change to hide the bars during combat, the bars looked fine, worked fine, were clear to the user, and of minimal annoyance?

David
*raises a hand*

Old way was better than disappearing bars, in my opinion. Although the disappearing bars are at least not quite as annoying now as when they were first put in.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dave wrote:So is there anyone at all who, like me, thinks that before the recent change to hide the bars during combat, the bars looked fine, worked fine, were clear to the user, and of minimal annoyance?

David
/me agrees
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I'm with Dave here. Although the idea of the units being drawn ontop of the bars instead of the other way around is intriguing ans I'd like to see it =)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

David
I felt they were fine before, and fine now. Then again, I'm not an art developer. 8)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I liked my bars. It gave me an immediate feeling of how were my forces doing, and produced changes in my mindset as the game went on.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
zol

Post by zol »

A basic idea, open to variation e.g. include team colour in case "your bar is always on the left" isn't clear etc.
Attachments
live-hp.png
live-hp.png (54.99 KiB) Viewed 3493 times
finite, infinite, definite
Lord_Aether

Post by Lord_Aether »

Not really liking it. Don't think the system really needs changing.
Mac OS X 10.5.7
Wesnoth 1.6.2
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Seems to be a few. Here's another:

*raises hand*
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

I had always wondered why they flashed in battle, it is really hard to tell who is winning. I prefer the old way

/raises hand
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

David
Count me in.
zol

Post by zol »

Lord Aether wrote:Not really liking it.
Meh. It was just a thought.
I figured that anyone who wants to watch the bars would get a bigger kick out of seeing both side by side.
finite, infinite, definite
JW

Post by JW »

Wow, so like, if everyone prefers the old way....how did the new way get implemented at all?
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

Not reading the logs, I always thought that the disappearing bars were a bug.
:)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

JW wrote:Wow, so like, if everyone prefers the old way....how did the new way get implemented at all?
Probably because I asked boucman to do it. :P However, that was when (around 1.1.4) the bar behaviour was such that they flickered on and off during a fight, and anything was better than that (naturally I still prefer the current way, however).
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

To stop the discussion in the wrong direction - putting the bars outside the hex isn't a viable option with the current engine. This would cause a huge performance penalty currently and we've got enough problems with that already.
Don't go on to talk about OpenGL is so much faster etc. now - this is well known. But we need someone with the right skills to actually code it. Knowing the possible solutions is the first step but that one is already done. Getting someone who's willing to do a huge rewrite of the engine which is a lot of work is what's required now.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!