Make healing being affected by time of day

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Make healing being affected by time of day

Post by Baufo »

It just crossed my mind during a MP game last night making the amount of healed HP affected by the time of day just as damage is.
A saurian augur would heal 5 at night and 3 at day while a white mage would heal 10 at day and 6 at night.

What do you think?
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Don't like it. It seems cool, but gameplay-wise it would be detrimental. Basically makes villages that much more important.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

KISS
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
NeoPhile

Post by NeoPhile »

Though it would be nice to implement a time of day filter in abilities WML. Then I could say "you can do it in WML, try it out", like I was originally going to.
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

You can.
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Dragon Master wrote:Don't like it. It seems cool, but gameplay-wise it would be detrimental. Basically makes villages that much more important.
The sum of the healed HP stays the same and you need healers rather when attacking because than you can't use villages for healing your first row and because you will attack in you factions favourite time of day it might even increase the power of healers.

Woodwizzle wrote:KISS
Why is healing being affected by ToD more complicated than damage being affected by ToD? But of course I must admit that this would complicate matters. :?
NeoPhile wrote:Though it would be nice to implement a time of day filter in abilities WML. Then I could say "you can do it in WML, try it out", like I was originally going to.
That would be cool :)

Edit:
Xan wrote:You can.
Hmm can I find the answer in the WML documentation? Or will you just tell me how?
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Baufo wrote:Why is healing being affected by ToD more complicated than damage being affected by ToD?
Damage is something that every unit has. Healing isn't. Healing is a special case, and if you complicate _healing_, that's complicating a special case - never a good idea.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Baufo wrote:Why is healing being affected by ToD more complicated than damage being affected by ToD?
Damage is something that every unit has. Healing isn't. Healing is a special case, and if you complicate _healing_, that's complicating a special case - never a good idea.
Hmm - convinced.

But I still want to try it out if it is possible to filter ToD with WML.
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

In any SUF:

Code: Select all

[filter_location]
time_of_day=chaotic
[/filter_location]
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Are you sure it's called [filter_location]? It does not show any effect if I put this in my abilities.cfg file.
And I can't find this tag in the WML documentation.
NeoPhile

Post by NeoPhile »

Baufo wrote:Are you sure it's called [filter_location]? It does not show any effect if I put this in my abilities.cfg file.
And I can't find this tag in the WML documentation.
Did you put [filter_location] inside [filter_self]? Check nightstalk in abilities.cfg for an example. I completely forgot about that abiltity, or else I would've posted about it earlier.

Hmmm, the wiki is not at all clear on the heirarchy of ability tags, and it's missing time_of_day and [filter_location]. I'd like to add it, but I don't think I know enough about it. For instance, can time_of_day take values like dawn and morning, in addition to chaotic, lawful and neutral? Are those even the right values? Chaotic is the only one I've seen in use.

Anyway, if you can't figure out the WML, I think I can. Just let me know if you need any help.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

:oops: Did not notice that there are allready ablilties affected by ToD.

Thank you.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I have tried it out and think it is quite interesting. (Had to use drakes since they have got the only level 1 healer.)

PS: neutral and lawful work fine as time_of_day of day values, haven't try other.
NeoPhile

Post by NeoPhile »

Baufo wrote:I have tried it out and think it is quite interesting. (Had to use drakes since they have got the only level 1 healer.)
Don't forget about the Elvish Shaman.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

NeoPhile wrote:Don't forget about the Elvish Shaman.
Wouldn't work, Shaman is neutral.