Snowy mountains

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
JW

Snowy mountains

Post by JW »

Hey, forgive me if this is a silly question, but shouldn't there be a snowy mountain terrain type? I think having this terrain would be good as it would slow Knalgan movement over their favorite terrain, but wouldn't really affect other races' MP. This would make it possible to add more mountains to a map and not have it immediately favor Knalgans.

Sorry, but I won't be able to draw such a terrain. :(

ps, I'm not sure this has been suggested before, but there's a snow forest, snow hill, snow and ice hexes, but no snow-mountain. It seems like the next logical step.
Jetrel

Re: Snowy mountains

Post by Jetrel »

JW wrote:Hey, forgive me if this is a silly question, but shouldn't there be a snowy mountain terrain type? I think having this terrain would be good as it would slow Knalgan movement over their favorite terrain, but wouldn't really affect other races' MP. This would make it possible to add more mountains to a map and not have it immediately favor Knalgans.

Sorry, but I won't be able to draw such a terrain. :(

ps, I'm not sure this has been suggested before, but there's a snow forest, snow hill, snow and ice hexes, but no snow-mountain. It seems like the next logical step.
YES. Freim knows this is an obviously desirable item. Freim also has a lot of stuff on his to-do list.

The only way to grease the wheels on this one is to draw it. Never hurts to try; I used to struggle with stick figures. :|

(And this isn't a canned response; I know you said you can't. I'm just saying that it's either that, or wait till he draws it, which is gonna be a long time.)
JW

Re: Snowy mountains

Post by JW »

Jetryl wrote:Never hurts to try; I used to struggle with stick figures. :|
XD me too. :wink:

Who knows. We'll see.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

I started on them some time ago, I'll see if I can get some time to work on them again soon.

There's also another hurdle, we have more or less ran out of available terrain letters and multiletter maps hasn't been implemented yet.
jg

Post by jg »

If we ever get multiletter maps, I think one should give the terrains sensible letters. Like:

icevillage=IV
snow forest=SF

jg
tsr

Post by tsr »

jg wrote:If we ever get multiletter maps, I think one should give the terrains sensible letters. Like:

icevillage=IV
snow forest=SF

jg
Further OT: wouldn't a quick-n-dirty solution to this be to use an alphabet that has more letters in it than the english one? (further investigation)

The only problem with that would be to get working locales for a bunch of different system and converting all the now available maps.

/tsr
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

We've had about 473 discussion on the format :). The problem isn't how it should be done, the problem is finding a dev with time and motivation to do it.
zol

Post by zol »

freim wrote:We've had about 473 discussion on the format :).
I hope at least one of them mentioned the distinction between semantic and visual 'types' :P
finite, infinite, definite
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Please stop posting about all your great ideas about how to solve this problem. Freim is on it, we don't need your "help"
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OTOH, if you have a patch to contribute, go ahead and post.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

pffft OBVIOUSLY. :P
tsr

Post by tsr »

Noy wrote:Please stop posting about all your great ideas about how to solve this problem. Freim is on it, we don't need your "help"
Ok will do. Next time I wouldn't mind a more friendly tone though

(I know that you get a bunch of 'great' ideas to dismiss every day, but you can't assume that everyone has been reading old chat-logs - if they even exist, done a thorough search on the forum (I got after doing 5 searches - I probably stink at searching but anyway - a 9 months old thread that didn't seem completed) or dived and rememberd all that's written in the dev-list - nothing from that readthru I made a month ago popped up into my mind when reading this. Faulty brain? Probably, but hey, I'm just human).

And please note that I didn't assume anything, I didn't request anything and I didn't demand anything. I just threw in an idea, I allready got it with one "no thanks, but no thanks reply", there isn't need for subsequent flames.

/tsr
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

tsr wrote:
Noy wrote:Please stop posting about all your great ideas about how to solve this problem. Freim is on it, we don't need your "help"
Ok will do. Next time I wouldn't mind a more friendly tone though

(I know that you get a bunch of 'great' ideas to dismiss every day, but you can't assume that everyone has been reading old chat-logs - if they even exist, done a thorough search on the forum (I got after doing 5 searches - I probably stink at searching but anyway - a 9 months old thread that didn't seem completed) or dived and rememberd all that's written in the dev-list - nothing from that readthru I made a month ago popped up into my mind when reading this. Faulty brain? Probably, but hey, I'm just human).

And please note that I didn't assume anything, I didn't request anything and I didn't demand anything. I just threw in an idea, I allready got it with one "no thanks, but no thanks reply", there isn't need for subsequent flames.

/tsr

TSR, I get your point, but I think you need to understand something. Unhelpful posts on Technical aspects of the game elicit real irritation from the technical devs, because well people just don't have a clue what they are talking about. These are people who have worked day in and out on aspects of code, and having your or anybody's else's "great ideas" on the subject when you haven't worked on this issue, isn't looked upon well. If you want to code it, or can make a REALLY meaningful contribution, then by all means do so, we welcome that. Notice how little this board is already used for technical discussions, thats because few devs actually want people's opinions on these problems.

You don't need to respond to this post, its for your own clarification on how other devs view these kind of responses. This isn't a flamewar, and I really don't want to discuss this further.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Hopefully this isn't considered a technical post, but:

It seems to me that snow isn't actually a terrain but rather a terrain modifier, and perhaps it should be represented that way? There's no reason you can't have snowy plains (currently called 'snow'), snowy mountains, snowy forests, snowy hills etc. etc. (Probably not snowy water though).
Last edited by irrevenant on August 14th, 2006, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I believe Noy is saying that this forum is for discussing ideas at the conceptual level rather than the implementation level and I agree (albeit for different reasons). You lose a lot of an idea's potential & flexibility when you dig into specifics too early. Once an idea reaches the specifics stage it can be transferred to another forum to address.