pay to play for Wesnoth

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Kiba wrote:Maybe the donations could be spent on supporting the core developers of wesnoth so they can work on the game at least 40 hours every week.
You didn't read anything of what any of the devs have said earlier now did you? :roll:
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Please lock thread, this is damned stupid.

Post by Kestenvarn »

Kiba wrote:Maybe the donations could be spent on supporting the core developers of wesnoth so they can work on the game at least 40 hours every week.
SILENCE!
Kiba

Post by Kiba »

freim wrote:
You didn't read anything of what any of the devs have said earlier now did you? :roll:

I read all the posts.
project founder of Libregamewiki

http://libregamewiki.org
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

Why don't you butt out and let them do what they want to with THEIR donations. Be glad its free and shut yer trap.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

"Idiots are everywhere." -JW
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

That only makes it that much of a better disguise, Zhukov.

God, i am really OT today.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Maybe the donations could be spent on being all sent to Elvish Pillager, because, y'know.

Um.

It's better than enslaving the core devs anyway. :twisted:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
FleshPeeler
Location: A mystery wrapped in an enigma smothered with a three cheese blend.

Post by FleshPeeler »

freim wrote:Thats it, nothing more to it. People work on Wesnoth in their spare time for fun, we don't want to be under any financial (or other) obligations like we are at work. This is a hobby, we want to be free to do what we want without being entangled.

For the original idea, I find it horrible. We don't want to be paid to make special content, this violates not only the reasons why the devs want to work on Wesnoth, but would also serve as a disfavor to the ideas behind Free Software and those who can benefit from it being free.
+

!=
Kiba wrote:I read all the posts.
Last edited by FleshPeeler on August 4th, 2006, 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
What if nobody ever asked "What if?"

FleshPeeler . . . Editting 5 times per every 1 post.
halleck

Post by halleck »

I would like to make a small comment on this issue. *Ahem...*

NO! Please no!!!!! :cry:
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Ah, this brings me back to the bad old days when a thread would just go on and on because it became some sort of cult icon on the forums and everybody just had to read it and add some coins to the pot and the last word would be had by Elvish Pillager because he just had to have the last word and we would all wonder what new trick he would come up with to get the last word in and it was fun and...

...wait a sec, this brings me back to the bad old days when a post would...
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

...increase your post count? :twisted:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Kiba

Post by Kiba »

FleshPeeler wrote:
freim wrote:Thats it, nothing more to it. People work on Wesnoth in their spare time for fun, we don't want to be under any financial (or other) obligations like we are at work. This is a hobby, we want to be free to do what we want without being entangled.

For the original idea, I find it horrible. We don't want to be paid to make special content, this violates not only the reasons why the devs want to work on Wesnoth, but would also serve as a disfavor to the ideas behind Free Software and those who can benefit from it being free.
+

!=
Kiba wrote:I read all the posts.
I thought people could like to work on their hobby. Is it dirty to be supported by your fans?

Just because they pay you doesn't mean the fans have any say in the matter. It doesn't mean that you have any obligations to do what they say or what they want.

Just the promise of more time to develop Wesnoth or devote more to the hobby is probably enough. Maybe that is the only obligation they will only keep which is the promise of working on Wesnoth more.

I now realize that the developers do not want any pressure or any obligations pressed on their shoulders.

But if I am in their position(Like working on one of the most popluar open source game), I could kill for such the ability to be able to work on my hobby as a job and not be dictated by the marketing department or some boss.

FleshPeeler
Location: A mystery wrapped in an enigma smothered with a three cheese blend.

Post by FleshPeeler »

So let me get this straight . . .

You want the Devs of Wesnoth to work 40 hours a week on their hobby alongside their PAYING jobs which might be another 40 hours a week. How do you spare time for, I don't know, GETTING A LIFE in an 80 hour work week???
Kiba wrote:Just because they pay you doesn't mean the fans have any say in the matter. It doesn't mean that you have any obligations to do what they say or what they want.
Now you want Wesnoth to become a corporate [explitive]. And then, you want Wesnoth to ignore everybody's opinions - including your own. By that reasoning, it sounds like you want everybody to ignore your opinions.
What if nobody ever asked "What if?"

FleshPeeler . . . Editting 5 times per every 1 post.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

FleshPeeler wrote:You want the Devs of Wesnoth to work 40 hours a week on their hobby alongside their PAYING jobs which might be another 40 hours a week.
I think the idea is that they would quit their old jobs, because they would be paid designing Wesnoth... of course, this only reinforces the idea that they would be bound to the donators, because if no one donates, they would have no job... so unless they want that, they really would have no choice.
:?
Kiba

Post by Kiba »

Umm the idea is for them to be able to quit their old job and be able to work on their hobby full time.