Abilities that POTENTIALLY have potential: (split from ATHP)

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
gordonc613

Post by gordonc613 »

zookeeper wrote:
Now these two I like. I'd like to see "necromancy" used for the necromancer in mainline - the plague staff is indeed pretty useless as such. I'm not sure if something like this has been discussed (and rejected) previously, but at least I don't remember that.
Indeed. The only time a necromancer sees use is in a map where one can not recruit units. When faced with the choice between the lich, which has drain and undead resistance, and the necromancer, which has normal resistances and plague staff, the lich wins out every time because the resistance to physical attacks is too good for a king type unit. As for the holy damage, if a white mage got close enough to a king unit, that means all his other units are probably dead already.
Cannibal sounds perfect for something like the ghoul line. I'm not sure about the balancing implications, but assuming that it could be balanced ok then it would be nice to see this in mainline.
Ghoul? I was thinking more like Goblins. I love goblins in general, but I don't think Wesnoth does goblins justice.
The survivor, regeneration, poison, recovery, second wind etc I don't see very interesting. Besides, abilities can already be customized, so basically you could already give units regeneration +4, for example, so it's not really a case of coming up with new abilities but more like finding existing units that could be granted the ability.
You can? I've been playing 1.02 for way too long.

Wish list add-on

Parry (1 level) - A unit hit by this attack loses 1 attack for the duration of the battle.
Usage: like slow but without the movement loss. Suggesting this since slow got changed to 50% damage in 1.17.
YbeRn00b

Post by YbeRn00b »

Meditate:
The unit does +25% damage first battle after resting.
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

Hmm, since this seems to have become an ideas thread, I'll post my own ones too:

Transport - in the beginning of turn, give all adjacent units water movement cost=1 for one turn only

Example - when this unit attacks / engages in combat, all adjacent friendly units (possibly of a certain type only) gain a number of exp dependent on the opposing unit's level.
JW

Post by JW »

Let's keep new ideas where they belong: in new threads.

Thanks.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

But, of course, these guys all think their own ideas all have potential. ;)

Maybe this thread would be better titled as "JW's list of abilities that have potential."
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

No, the idea is to create new thread fo new idea.
Then if the discussion show that the ability has potential, this thread will be updated.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

JW and Noyga are spot-on. A thread with 5 or 6 ideas, each meriting 5-6 responses all jumbled together is not pretty. If you think an idea is worth consideration, then it's worth it's own dedicated thread.

Note that JW's "Abilities that have potential" thread is intended to serve as a summary of ideas that have already been discussed and earned (at least rough) community approval. It isn't intended as a place to propose and discuss new ideas.