Enemy leader AI & other

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Thranduil

Enemy leader AI & other

Post by Thranduil »

Why does the enemy leader sleep all time?
I mean, after move 1 (when The Boss goes capturing the nearest village) the enemy leader sits and waits for our armies to storm the keep.
Is there a reason for keeping the (usually) strongest unit at bay?
My Konrad sometimes fights!

Uh, you already added the "damage calculator" button in the combat window. Why not add the HP of both contendants?
This would save a little time to lazy players as I am.

Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I suppose it's so he can recruit more units as the funds become available, which s/he does.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Polaris

Re: Enemy leader AI & other

Post by Polaris »

Thranduil wrote:Why does the enemy leader sleep all time?
I mean, after move 1 (when The Boss goes capturing the nearest village) the enemy leader sits and waits for our armies to storm the keep.
Is there a reason for keeping the (usually) strongest unit at bay?
My Konrad sometimes fights!

Uh, you already added the "damage calculator" button in the combat window. Why not add the HP of both contendants?
I don't know you, but I keep Konrad safe at home, so he can recruit and never get killed... And that's exactly what AI does!

It's logic.... ;)
Standing With So Cold A Heart... Watching The Death Of The Sun...

Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I early on kept Konrad in the keep to recruit, but for some levels (especially if I want to keep a large amount of gold for the next level) I will take Konrad out, using his leadership for boosting units that i am trying to level and intervene if some big guy isn't killed off and is threating my little guys. I am especially tempted into doing this if there are multiple enemies so that I recruit a bunch, go hunting one of the enemy leaders, use his keep to recruit/recall any new units I want...etc....

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

whats wrong with the enemy leader never moving out. If you haven't noticed, the reason you CAN move your Konrad out is you can get all the units you need on the second or third turn. The enemy doesn't have that luxury- he has to keep recruiting to keep up with your killing of his units. If he moved out, he would get wiped out all the easier (especially since it would be easier to get to him and to kill him, since he is not on his castle he is running towards you!)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Re: Enemy leader AI & other

Post by Guest »

Thranduil wrote:Uh, you already added the "damage calculator" button in the combat window. Why not add the HP of both contendants?
Also add symbols for poison and slows attacks.

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

what would be the point of adding the HP to the damage calculations screen? or did you mean add HP to the attack select page? yes, that might be useful, but IMO if we add too much to the page it will get clogged and ugly.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

It is very hard for the AI to intelligently calculate the risks vs rewards of moving its leader out of its keep. If the AI did sometimes move its leader out of its keep, players would probably very quickly develop strategies for luring it out of the keep, so they can kill it, and/or block its return to the keep so it can't recruit more troops.

The AI may one day use its leader more actively, but doing so will be difficult.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming

Thranduil

Post by Thranduil »

I think you are right (player's deviousness is incalcolable) about luring the leader into a trap, but sometimes it happens that simply moving one ex the Boss can kill my Delfador (or any other "special" leader) and thus win the scenario.

About combat window: I already admitted my laziness, now I must confess that I don't remember all attack values, so adding how many HP the units have left could help to a faster decision.
The same about slow and/or poison icons and whatever else I will find after passing Valley of Death ;-)

mbabuskov

Post by mbabuskov »

Thranduil wrote: About combat window: I already admitted my laziness, now I must confess that I don't remember all attack values, so adding how many HP the units have left could help to a faster decision.
Isn't it shown already in the left part of the screen?

Post by Guest »

yes, of MY unit: the target's HP are to be seen leaving attack selection window and clicking on the target unit.
That gets my mouse very tired ;-)

Speaking about mice: ever thought about giant rats, something like warhammer's skaven?
They could be cheap and weak, with the possibility to infect their prey with some kind of disease :twisted: (reducing attak damage value until healed, for example) but with a spectacular improvement for the few to gain high levels

mbabuskov

Post by mbabuskov »

Anonymous wrote:yes, of MY unit: the target's HP are to be seen leaving attack selection window and clicking on the target unit.
Beats me, but when I'm on "attack-selection window", at the same time, I have a window at the left side of screen, where all data about enemy unit is displayed (name, HP, XP, ...etc.)

Which version are you using?