Multiplayer Exp fix

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
LibrarianBrent

Multiplayer Exp fix

Post by LibrarianBrent »

I found three simple ways to fix the issue with multiplayer slow level-up.

I. Half required unit lvl. up cost on multiplayer.

II. Give the unit that inflicts more damage in a fight 2 exp instead of 1.

III. Allow 2/3 round battles with recall.
Wesnoth: It's poetry in motion...
miyo

Post by miyo »

Advancing your units is a bit harder in multiplayer but it is achievable... there has been some talk about allowing xp multiplier slider (e.g. from x0.5 to x2) when setting up multiplayer games.

- Miyo
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

III would be the best, creating a small, random campaign.

however, the drawback is obvious, the winner of the first scenario would have a huge advantage on the second, especially if he manages to kill most/all of his ennemy units before killing the leader.

there would be some ways to balance that but It has never really been discussed AFAICT...

I think it would be nice to be able to build multiplayer campaigns (i.e have a multiplayer scenario specify which scenario should follow with a way to guarentee side numbers are kept)

I don't know how it could work for random maps, but I'm sure scenario writers would find a way to balance that for human-made campaigns....
miyo

Post by miyo »

Co-operative multiplayer scenarios has also been discussed.

- Miyo
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i don't think a 2/3 round match would be good...but what about a tournament where the winners kept the units they won the previous round with? it would allow for easier leveling up, but wouldn't make it too unbalanced, since both sides have leveled up units.

thats assuming there is a problem with leveling up in multiplayer, of course. personally i don't think there is. i think the problem is people are used to easy leveling up in the campaign, so they want it like that in multiplayer. thats not how it works.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

well....

from my small multiplayer experience, multiplayer match are not much longer than single player scenario... and the number of fight is basically the same.

the current XP system is balanced for a single player campaign. i.e: you level your units through two or three scenarios.

that's good, I love the single player feeling of building the army and calling friends to help in case of problem, but in multiplayer, the leveling speed is too slow, and we barely see any lvl2 unit...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Boucman wrote:that's good, I love the single player feeling of building the army and calling friends to help in case of problem, but in multiplayer, the leveling speed is too slow, and we barely see any lvl2 unit...
yes, we barely see any lvl2 units, no, this is not really a problem. however, a sliding scale of XP gained would be useful, for those of you who like seeing a lot of lvl2 units.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
telly

Post by telly »

You could have an option in multiplayer allowing people to buy higher level units. The prices would have to be set pretty high though, like 50gold or so for a 2nd level unit and 100 for 3rd maybe.

I don't think decreasing the exp to next level in anyway would be a good idea at all. Cheap intelligent units like trolls would be levelling up after one fight, so it'd end up with the first skirmish deciding every multiplayer match.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

telly wrote: I don't think decreasing the exp to next level in anyway would be a good idea at all. Cheap intelligent units like trolls would be levelling up after one fight, so it'd end up with the first skirmish deciding every multiplayer match.
good point telly...
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

How about having units cost be proportional to the amount of experience needed to get them?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Someone has suggested before having a 'Age of Heroes' mode for multiplayer where you can recruit higher level units. Personally i wouldn't like it, but it would make sense. remember that all units already have costs, even second and third level units, because the AI needs to know how much to pay for them. And they are lower than you would think- the most advanced troll is less than 50gp.
The World of Orbivm
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

I think a good solution would be unit sets. Like we have the default set now, then there could be a set with higher level units.

In a nutshell, a pulldown menu that allows the game creator to choose from various sets of multiplayer sides.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Gafgarion wrote:I think a good solution would be unit sets. Like we have the default set now, then there could be a set with higher level units.

In a nutshell, a pulldown menu that allows the game creator to choose from various sets of multiplayer sides.
Yes this is precisely how my 'eras' idea works.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
LibrarianBrent

Post by LibrarianBrent »

Nahh... in my opinion the eras system is too out of character for the game as a whole... I want to have to actually level my units and guard them, not just ahve them appear in their powerful form, but I also want to be able to get more than 1 unit leveled per game...
Wesnoth: It's poetry in motion...
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry