Chat text visibility.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Woodwizzle

Chat text visibility.

Post by Woodwizzle »

I think the chat text should have the same alpha transparent background that tool tip text gets. The reason being it is very hard to read the white text sometimes against light backgrounds, especially in the day.
soroh

Re: Chat text visibility

Post by soroh »

I agree with this 100%.

Also, a message history would be nice as well.
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Chat text visibility.

Post by Dave »

Woodwizzle wrote:I think the chat text should have the same alpha transparent background that tool tip text gets.
This has been implemented.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
soroh

Post by soroh »

(not to sound rude) And what about a message history?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

soroh wrote:(not to sound rude) And what about a message history?
Sorry, didn't mean to miss answering you in my first post.

This might happen, but is kinda annoying to implement.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
soroh

Post by soroh »

Just to satisfy my own curiousity, what would be wrong with merely keeping a message log in ~/.wesnoth, just pipe all messages received into it.. and you can erase it on a new game. (er, ~/.wesnoth for me anyways :p)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

its ~/.wesnoth for most unix users, AfAIK. anyway, there is a wesnoth saves folder/directory for every system, i think, so it should work.

however, im not sure its a great idea, since it could take up too much space (though i doubt it, its just text). it could, of course, be kept in the autosave file itself.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

soroh wrote:Just to satisfy my own curiousity, what would be wrong with merely keeping a message log in ~/.wesnoth, just pipe all messages received into it.. and you can erase it on a new game. (er, ~/.wesnoth for me anyways :p)
There'd be nothing wrong with this, and can be done if I can't come up with a better solution...

David
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Dave wrote:
soroh wrote:Just to satisfy my own curiousity, what would be wrong with merely keeping a message log in ~/.wesnoth, just pipe all messages received into it.. and you can erase it on a new game. (er, ~/.wesnoth for me anyways :p)
There'd be nothing wrong with this, and can be done if I can't come up with a better solution...

David
speaking as one who hasn't yet played the multiplayer version, it might be amusing to save the chat messages as part of the save game so a replay would reveal in the game the chat messages....
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Darth Fool wrote: speaking as one who hasn't yet played the multiplayer version, it might be amusing to save the chat messages as part of the save game so a replay would reveal in the game the chat messages....
It already works like this.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Is there any way to change your name in multiplayer? Sure, "jamesbarton" is my system name, but it's not exactly an exciting net moniker. (I'm aware that you can change your leader's name in-game, but this isn't what I mean)
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Sangel wrote:Is there any way to change your name in multiplayer? Sure, "jamesbarton" is my system name, but it's not exactly an exciting net moniker.
When you log into a server it will ask you what name to use.

If you're doing a direct serverless connection, you won't get asked this, although if you've ever connected to a server, it will use the name you used then.

David
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Ah, excellent. Thanks.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry