After reading ALL USERS READ THIS

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
dirk

After reading ALL USERS READ THIS

Post by dirk »

After reading the thread telling all users to read this I am wondering what we can suggest to improve the game.
not to be translated as a sardonic post or insidious comment towards the administrators.

curiosity killed the cat.. satisfcation brought him back..

ty
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Explain? Yes, there are a lot of ideas that get proposed over and over (usually by newcomers). But, every once in a while there is a fresh and good idea. Thanks for wanting to contribute.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
scott

Post by scott »

If we knew, we wouldn't ask. It seems like there are a lot of ideas on the list, but this game has been around several years. Lots of people have suggested lots of things. It may take 100 bad (but new) ideas to find one gem, and that's what the ideas forum is for. But, re-discussing 100 old ideas doesn't help anyone.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
dirk

Post by dirk »

I am sure the developers and administrators know what they do/do not want to add to the game and I feel that this thread is just a way of making the gaming community members feel as if they have an input into this game.

The developers and administrator have a good understanding of what they want to view in this game.

I believe that maybe the developers and administrators should be discussing with us their future ambitions for The Battle Of Wesnoth.
Rather than just having us give random ideas and recieve no input of the ideas.

just my mind set. ~~

ty
JW

Post by JW »

Try reading this, and then use your best judgment. Many ideas have been implemented thanks to the creative minds of people just like you!
dirk

Post by dirk »

I still believe developers should discuss with us what they may be implementing into the game in the near future, suprises are scary.
aelius

Post by aelius »

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Wesnoth1.2Features
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Just remember that most developers were at one point only forum members. By contributing they eventually earned the priveleges and responsibilities of being a "developer". The best way to know what will be in future releases of Wesnoth is to work on it.

As for what to expect, it is safe to say that the core game play will not change. It is also safe to say that the game engine will be made more flexible, but not in all directions. In fact, with the changes seen since the beginning of this year, many things are possible in WML that were previously unheard of, so expect to have many more 'CABD' posts in the ideas forum for a while. Please also realise that while something CABD, it doesn't mean that it will be put into the main-line. If you think that it is such a good idea that it should be, the best way to do so is to create content such as an era or a campaign that highlights why it is a cool idea. Then, even if it doesn't get incorporated into the mainline, it will still be available for others to play with.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

dirk wrote:I still believe developers should discuss with us what they may be implementing into the game in the near future, suprises are scary.
This is an open source game, there are no surprises. It all depends on how much you care about the development. You can discuss with the developers all day long if you want. Don't expect them to come to your house and ask for your opinion though.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
dirk

Post by dirk »

Soliton wrote:
dirk wrote:I still believe developers should discuss with us what they may be implementing into the game in the near future, suprises are scary.
This is an open source game, there are no surprises. It all depends on how much you care about the development. You can discuss with the developers all day long if you want. Don't expect them to come to your house and ask for your opinion though.
Actually when I said "us" I suppose I was refering to only myself, I mean us is of course not an ambiguous word therefor why should it be taken as one, that was sardonic and insidious.

I am not expecting the developers to come to my house (936 Salem Blvd, Berwick, P.A. F.Y.I., Developers 8)). As an open source game I am aware that their are no suprises because everyone feels the need to imput as much incoherent, selfish, crude, and biased opinions on the forums.

My main point is there should be a LIST of tentative changes or improvements that the developers have choosen. This way many of the forum pubbies do not have to search through the vague ideas of other pubbies to try and comprehend the changes or "suprises" the developers may have in waiting for us.

_Whats behind the corner my friend, an ax murder thinking as one for society as he beholds your tentative life in the palm of his hands. Benounced to you, he who holds the ax is just a figment of your imagination, a mirror in which you see yourself. It is not suicide if you were confused. Suicide is an act, not a state. Say goodbye to the dreams of a Utopia_
scott

Post by scott »

http://changelog.wesnoth.org
http://irclog.wesnoth.org
https://mail.gna.org/public/wesnoth-dev ... reads.html

Maybe this is more what you had in mind. It's hard to get much closer than this to the development process. It's not exactly a list (well, the first one actually is), but it's the best there is.
Last edited by scott on May 30th, 2006, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

There is. The FPI list is things that have already been soundly rejected, and the BWH list is things that have been approved, or that people like, but we don't have the time/energy/resources to put into place at the moment.

Like they said, if there's anything you want to know, you can look. Nothing is secret. There are Changelogs, featurelists, compilations of useful traits, everything is here if you just look around and maybe ask a few (more pointed) questions. "Tell me everything you might put in the next version" is not a pointed question.

In finis, my friends,
On'tday Eedfay ethay Olltray.