Nasty idea: toxic terrain

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Chris NS

Nasty idea: toxic terrain

Post by Chris NS »

Here's an idea should anyone want to make a really nasty scenario. I'm proposing as simple an idea as possible, but I can't comment on how difficult it would be to implement in practice.

Designate certain hexes as "toxic". This would be on top of what the terrain already set as. I'm mainly thinking of "toxic" swamps that give off harmful gases, but it could in theory apply to any other kind of terrain. (Note: you would probably, however, have to either make all the tiles of that kind toxic, or pester someone doing hex tiles to come up with a toxic tile for that kind of terrain, or do it yourself.)

At the start of your turn, anyone who is on a toxic hex loses HP in the same way as they would if they were poisoned (i.e. normally lose 8 HP down to a minimum of 1 HP, healing, curing and regeneration can offset this, and undead are, of course, immune) - but unlike poisoning, it only lasts whilst you remain on that hex. (If you want a really really nasty terrain hex, you could have a "poisonous" hex which poisons anyone on that hex.) I can imagine that this could have a situation of, say, a few undead in a toxic swamp, that changes the fight from a pushover to a very tough one.

It's it's WML-programmable I might attempt it myself one day if someone gives me hints for how to go about it. (Give my time - I've only just started.) Don't ask me to change the source code though - I wouldn't know where to start.

And I'll limp around and wait for the pack of hungry wolves to arrive ...
jg

Post by jg »

I think it this is doable with WML. I don't remeber which scenario in UtBS this was implemented, but it was definately a underground one. There, whenever a unit stepped onto the lava (and stayed there that turn), it lost 8 HP - I think.

jg
toms

Post by toms »

This will probably not go in-game, as it is easy to do at yourself in a UMC.

Just store all locations with the toxic terrain type, iterate over the array, and check if there are units on it. If yes, the unit is harmed by the poison.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Alks

Post by Alks »

jg wrote:I think it this is doable with WML. I don't remeber which scenario in UtBS this was implemented, but it was definately a underground one. There, whenever a unit stepped onto the lava (and stayed there that turn), it lost 8 HP - I think.

jg
It was a desert, unit was losing HP during the day. And it was a really good scenario
scott

Post by scott »

jg wrote:I think it this is doable with WML. I don't remeber which scenario in UtBS this was implemented, but it was definately a underground one. There, whenever a unit stepped onto the lava (and stayed there that turn), it lost 8 HP - I think.

jg
WICOT. WML is capable of this.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
jg

Post by jg »

Alks wrote: It was a desert, unit was losing HP during the day. And it was a really good scenario
Oh yeah, that one too. But the scenario where you choose between trolls and dwarves, also had something similar with lava (if you chose Dwarves).

jg
Alks

Post by Alks »

jg wrote: Oh yeah, that one too. But the scenario where you choose between trolls and dwarves, also had something similar with lava (if you chose Dwarves).

jg
Always choosing trolls ;) didn't know that.
JW

Post by JW »

CABD. Can Already Be Done. :wink:

I kinda like this, especially since there is already an Oasis terrain that heals. I could see it being a swamp variant for sure.
sparr

Post by sparr »

If I was going to do this I would make a Toxic 'item' with a translucent graphic of a green gas rising, then place that item on all the relevant hexes and do all the other stuff in WML.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

This would be nice to expand upon like make briar patches that are terrain that slows you. You could even make teleporter terrain if you were really talented.
jg

Post by jg »

Dragon Master wrote:You could even make teleporter terrain if you were really talented.
There is even an example of this: in the Flight to Freedom, second scenario.

jg