AI, userinterface, and another idea

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Infinisearch

AI, userinterface, and another idea

Post by Infinisearch »

1. Allow map files to contain AI hints in them, for example marking a set of hexes as a choke point. The ability to do this for each movement type would really be nice and necessary as well. It would allow for better more programmable AI through WML. Other hints could be outlines of big tracts of contiguous or semi-contiguous terrain like a big mountain range or a lake, between this, choke points and the 'leafs' of pathfinding data the AI would have a greater ability to that advantage of the terrain.

2. Have traits or abilities that cancel out opponent's traits or abilities either all the time or dependent on terrain or someother factor. For example my master at arms while in the mountains undoes the marksman from the elvish sharpshooter's ranged attack because the difference in defence is greater/equal to the 30% threshold. Also status effects that could do the same, a poision more like a drug that can affect the concentration of a unit undoing things like marksman instead of taking away hp. The reason why it seems I'm picking on marksman is that while it can be claimed that magic can be of a 'homing in' type nature the same cannot be said of archery.

3. This is more of an observation, I noticed the AI doesn't really take advantage of leadership, it will attack a unit with a lower powered unit and then move/attack with a unit that has leadership quite consistently from what i remember. Can anyone confirm this or is it just coinsidence from my experiences?

4. Would it be possible to get a quit to windows option from in-game, as well as a way to get from the third multiplayer screen back to the second without having to go through the main menu again. (third - where you select money and teams, second - where you select what era and what map.)
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I will answer what I can.

1. This certainly sounds pretty neat. However I'm not so sure about how easy it would be to code. Ideas that take a lot of coding for little result generally don't get far. You could ask Darth Fool, I'm pretty sure he's the man when it comes to AI code.
Note that at the moment we can make the AI behave in a scenario-specific manner. For example, in the first level of HttT the AI (on hard difficulty) places special importance on killing Konrad and Delf and is programmed to ignore bad terrain so it won't think twice about sending forces into the forest against elves.

2. This is certainly not going to go anywhere. Wesnoth has this quasi-policy thing which says there are not to be any units, abilities, traits etc that specifically counter other units, abilities, traits etc. It's mentioned in the dreaded FPI, which is recommended reading.

3. You are right. The AI isn't so great at using "Aura" abilities like leadership, heal/cure or illuminate. I think this is being worked on, but I'm not sure.

4. This would be good. However it is more of a convenience then a necessity so it is unlikely to get much priority.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

1. The chat on multiplayer could be split into two when you start game. First for main chat and second for game chat.

2. All options of new game board could be on one screen, if we remove uneeded options, and make players/races/teams/colours table smaller.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Infinisearch

Post by Infinisearch »

Zhukov

1. It would just end up being a list of objects with associated object types and 'collision' volumes, that would be parsed at map load time. The hard part would come in regards to integrating this in to AI WML. From what i read in regards to ai in the wiki all the ai work is done in C++ and there is alot of global settings (for example it is a global setting as to whether to overwhelm or be opportunistic) which seem to me hold the ai back.

2. I look through the FPI thread, and didn't see anything about it, but anyhow since technically marksman is neither a trait or ability now that i think about it, i guess what i really meant to ask for is the ability to cancel out weapon specials.

3. Do you know if the AI is going to be implemented fully in WML the near future?

4. It is a convience but it seems to have stuck in my mind enough to actually remember it while writing this thread so I figured i would put it here.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

3. IIRC Current AI have some knowledge of healing/curing btw IMHO it doesn't handle it very well. It doesn't handle leadership & illuminate at all.