Visible damage

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Visible damage

Post by Sangel »

It's just a thought, but I was wondering if we could make the damage done after each successful block float above the target in small numbers, perhaps in the same colour as their health has been reduced to after the blow.

I know you can already tell by watching the health drop, but I think it would add a little more clarity to combat.
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Visible damage

Post by Dave »

Sangel wrote:It's just a thought, but I was wondering if we could make the damage done after each successful block float above the target in small numbers, perhaps in the same colour as their health has been reduced to after the blow.

I know you can already tell by watching the health drop, but I think it would add a little more clarity to combat.
This is a good idea, as an option.

We could also have text floating up to show status effects changing.

E.g. "Poisoned!" float above the unit when they are poisoned, or "Slowed!" when they are slowed.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
miyo

Post by miyo »

I would rather have status icons floating.

- Miyo
lynx

Post by lynx »

status icons? What about the numbers? :P

Seriously, I think text is better - you can't onMouseOver a floating icon. At least none would try to. What I want to say is that in the status bar, you can hover over the icons to see what they mean; in this case tooltips sound silly.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I don't really like the ideas of numbers popping up. Yeah, it can give you a warm fuzzy that your units are dealing X damage, but in my mind it takes one out of the game atmosphere. On the other hand, having icons displayed representing the status (ie poison slow) I think would be good. I think a changed status should always have a visible effect on the unit. Greening is good for poisen, but what about slow? You can't just keep adding colors....
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

Darth Fool wrote:I don't really like the ideas of numbers popping up. Yeah, it can give you a warm fuzzy that your units are dealing X damage, but in my mind it takes one out of the game atmosphere. On the other hand, having icons displayed representing the status (ie poison slow) I think would be good. I think a changed status should always have a visible effect on the unit. Greening is good for poisen, but what about slow? You can't just keep adding colors....
I like the idea. I think you shouldn't have to mouse over a unit after a battle to find out how much damage was done, or hit points are left. Yes, you could count the hits and do the math, but that's too much work and hard with the units that make no hit sound (like Delfador), and I want to be sure I've got it right.)
The Eponymous Archon
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I agree, having "Poisoned!", "Slowed!", "Drained!" etc floating up in addition to the damage would be very handy. Currently I haven't really noticed the effects of slowing (poisoning, on the other hand, I definitely have noticed).

I agree that it should be an option, though. That way if you find it distracting (as Darth feels) you can always turn it off.
turin-at-school

Post by turin-at-school »

i have played games with the damage shown as a number, and i found it do be detrimental. i KNOW in wesnoth how much damage will be done per hit, and i'm not going to do the math for multiple hits any less with the # as without. i would still mouse over to see how much health was left, especially if multiple units attacked.
worst of all, they look bad. :D
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

turin-at-school wrote:i have played games with the damage shown as a number, and i found it do be detrimental. i KNOW in wesnoth how much damage will be done per hit, and i'm not going to do the math for multiple hits any less with the # as without. i would still mouse over to see how much health was left, especially if multiple units attacked.
worst of all, they look bad. :D
Hence my idea (expressed in another thread) that at the end of a battle, remaining hitpoints show up over each unit and remain for a while (until the unit is clicked on or turn ends?).
The Eponymous Archon
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Just make it an option. Then those who feel it detracts can turn it off, and those who value the added info can turn it on.
Lithorien

Post by Lithorien »

Sangel wrote:Just make it an option. Then those who feel it detracts can turn it off, and those who value the added info can turn it on.
Know your Allies Well, Know your Enemies Better. -Sun Tzu, The Art of War.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

Floating numbers about hits? I tend to find those annoying so an option to remove them would be great.

Status change indications, e.g. poisoned, slowed, etc would be very useful. I see more sense in these, so please make sure there are separate options for turning these on / off :D
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I'm for symbols in place of text for Poisioned and Slowed etc. Healing ammounts should be visible in blue. and all text should have an outline (white or maybe gold) around it so it will always contrast with the background.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave,

what about adding that theming support for unit information (on map)... you define where the hitpoint bar is, are status icons/symbols shown, where they are located, experience gauge, etc.

Though it might be hard to implement?

Also changing theme in-game would ease creating themes and using them.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

miyo wrote: Also changing theme in-game would ease creating themes and using them.
If you're talking about changing which theme is in use, then sure, that'd be a good feature to have, and will likely be available sometime.

If you're talking about allowing modification of the theme during the game, then let me put it this way: to implement well, this would be approximately as hard as writing an in-game map and scenario editor. I think you can imagine which one would be more useful to the user.
miyo wrote: what about adding that theming support for unit information (on map)... you define where the hitpoint bar is, are status icons/symbols shown, where they are located, experience gauge, etc.
The main problem is that without support for changing aspects of the theme in-game (see above) how would you change it if you don't like it? The only option would be to choose a completely different theme.

That's why imo themes should stick to only holding information about the panels and where they're laid out on-screen.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming