I made an unofficial trailer

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

User avatar
gaojicainiao
Posts: 46
Joined: August 11th, 2018, 10:46 am
Location: 中华人民共和国(The People's Republic of China)
Contact:

I made an unofficial trailer

Post by gaojicainiao » May 27th, 2019, 3:13 pm

A maintainer of an unofficial Chinese wesnoth forum.
唯爱北民,却是菜鸟。( I love northerners only. However, I'm a noob...forever.)
请中国玩家访问我为你做的非官方帮助网页。( Chinese players, please visit the unofficial help page I made for you. )

User avatar
Pentarctagon
Forum Administrator
Posts: 4060
Joined: March 22nd, 2009, 10:50 pm
Location: Earth (occasionally)

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by Pentarctagon » May 27th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Neat, thanks :)
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code

User avatar
gaojicainiao
Posts: 46
Joined: August 11th, 2018, 10:46 am
Location: 中华人民共和国(The People's Republic of China)
Contact:

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by gaojicainiao » May 28th, 2019, 1:21 am

But here comes the question:
I made a video to advertise for the game,but how can I advertise this video?
So awkward...Sometimes I even don't know what I am doing...
A maintainer of an unofficial Chinese wesnoth forum.
唯爱北民,却是菜鸟。( I love northerners only. However, I'm a noob...forever.)
请中国玩家访问我为你做的非官方帮助网页。( Chinese players, please visit the unofficial help page I made for you. )

User avatar
doofus-01
Art Contributor
Posts: 3809
Joined: January 6th, 2008, 9:27 pm
Location: USA, the civilized part.

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by doofus-01 » May 28th, 2019, 1:28 am

Hah, that was great. As for how to advertise it, I'm not sure either. Anything we do here would be preaching to the choir.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects

User avatar
The_Gnat
Posts: 2074
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am
Contact:

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by The_Gnat » May 28th, 2019, 9:33 am


That looks great! :D Good work!

BTIsaac
Posts: 353
Joined: December 7th, 2017, 7:30 am

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by BTIsaac » May 29th, 2019, 9:16 am

gaojicainiao wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 1:21 am
I made a video to advertise for the game,but how can I advertise this video?
So awkward...Sometimes I even don't know what I am doing...
Hate to say this, but the most effective way to do that is to buy ad space from sites like youtube. Unfortunately, if you do that, it will be lost among the other ads unless you make it REALLY stand out, and people can't ignore it. Surely, you've heard of the infamous Mafia City ads. I don't even know if people play that game anymore, but the memes are alive and well.

User avatar
gaojicainiao
Posts: 46
Joined: August 11th, 2018, 10:46 am
Location: 中华人民共和国(The People's Republic of China)
Contact:

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by gaojicainiao » May 29th, 2019, 10:34 am

BTIsaac wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 9:16 am
gaojicainiao wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 1:21 am
I made a video to advertise for the game,but how can I advertise this video?
So awkward...Sometimes I even don't know what I am doing...
Hate to say this, but the most effective way to do that is to buy ad space from sites like youtube. Unfortunately, if you do that, it will be lost among the other ads unless you make it REALLY stand out, and people can't ignore it. Surely, you've heard of the infamous Mafia City ads. I don't even know if people play that game anymore, but the memes are alive and well.
Aha,I am a Chinese.My country limits internet strictly and forbids bad,unhealthy information as strictly as possible.We even can not visit youtube directly and easily.So I don't know the ads and the game you mentioned...
It's hard for me to do something on youtube,but I will try to let more Chinese people know The Battle for Wesnoth. The trailer(Chinese subtitles edition) was made for Chinese at first.
A maintainer of an unofficial Chinese wesnoth forum.
唯爱北民,却是菜鸟。( I love northerners only. However, I'm a noob...forever.)
请中国玩家访问我为你做的非官方帮助网页。( Chinese players, please visit the unofficial help page I made for you. )

User avatar
gaojicainiao
Posts: 46
Joined: August 11th, 2018, 10:46 am
Location: 中华人民共和国(The People's Republic of China)
Contact:

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by gaojicainiao » May 29th, 2019, 1:10 pm

The "Chinese soccer"is a joke.
The word "揪心"(Translated as "exciting") also means "nervous"
Not only Chinese,all people know that Chinese soccer is terrible...Haha......
A maintainer of an unofficial Chinese wesnoth forum.
唯爱北民,却是菜鸟。( I love northerners only. However, I'm a noob...forever.)
请中国玩家访问我为你做的非官方帮助网页。( Chinese players, please visit the unofficial help page I made for you. )

BTIsaac
Posts: 353
Joined: December 7th, 2017, 7:30 am

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by BTIsaac » May 29th, 2019, 8:29 pm

gaojicainiao wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:34 am
Aha,I am a Chinese.
Ouch. Say no more. I heard talks of the rest of the world becoming like that unless Silicon Valley goes bankrupt.

Anyway, Mafia City is one of these generic empire builder mobile games that are only really good for wasting time and money and convincing you that you actually did something, until the server eventually shuts down and you feel like an idiot.
The ads on the other hand involve a bunch of cheeply rendered animations of characters doing things like escaping from prison, robbing banks or trying to propose to their girlfriend and dancing to goofy music, while giving you contradicting information about what the gameplay is actually about. The most common formula involves a "lvl1 crook" getting a bunch of money in a very unrealistic way (ex. Shooting the entrance to a bank while money falls out) and becoming a "lvl 35 boss", and the tagline "that's how mafia works".
Nowadays people are combining it with the latest Jojo's Bizarre Adventure anime, which takes place in Italy and centers around a mafia-like organization.

Bottom line, it was an unremarkable game, but because of the clever ad campaign that's just a hair's breath away from qualifying as false advertising, a lot of people know about it and some of them even ended up downloading it just to see what it's really like.

User avatar
gaojicainiao
Posts: 46
Joined: August 11th, 2018, 10:46 am
Location: 中华人民共和国(The People's Republic of China)
Contact:

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by gaojicainiao » May 29th, 2019, 11:50 pm

BTIsaac wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 8:29 pm
Ouch. Say no more.

Bottom line, it was an unremarkable game, but because of the clever ad campaign that's just a hair's breath away from qualifying as false advertising, a lot of people know about it and some of them even ended up downloading it just to see what it's really like.
It looks like so dangerous.Sorry to hear that.Let's stop talking about it.I hope all the best.
Actually,I can do little about advertising.I have no more to say about the trailer now...
A maintainer of an unofficial Chinese wesnoth forum.
唯爱北民,却是菜鸟。( I love northerners only. However, I'm a noob...forever.)
请中国玩家访问我为你做的非官方帮助网页。( Chinese players, please visit the unofficial help page I made for you. )

User avatar
The_Gnat
Posts: 2074
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am
Contact:

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by The_Gnat » May 30th, 2019, 10:00 am

gaojicainiao wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 1:10 pm
The "Chinese soccer"is a joke.
The word "揪心"(Translated as "exciting") also means "nervous"
Not only Chinese,all people know that Chinese soccer is terrible...Haha......
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It probably is hard to promote this without paying. I guess though you could always put your video on facebook or other social platforms? It is fun to watch and some people might want to play :)

User avatar
gaojicainiao
Posts: 46
Joined: August 11th, 2018, 10:46 am
Location: 中华人民共和国(The People's Republic of China)
Contact:

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by gaojicainiao » November 15th, 2019, 12:24 am

Unfortunately, I gave up using YouTube. I deeply understand why my home country blocks YouTube. I don't like it and I hate it! :(

I have removed all videos on my YouTube account, so this topic doesn't make sense now. How can I delete my topics?
A maintainer of an unofficial Chinese wesnoth forum.
唯爱北民,却是菜鸟。( I love northerners only. However, I'm a noob...forever.)
请中国玩家访问我为你做的非官方帮助网页。( Chinese players, please visit the unofficial help page I made for you. )

User avatar
Pentarctagon
Forum Administrator
Posts: 4060
Joined: March 22nd, 2009, 10:50 pm
Location: Earth (occasionally)

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by Pentarctagon » November 15th, 2019, 3:46 am

Regular users aren't able to delete topics. I can lock the thread though, if you'd like.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code

User avatar
sergey
Posts: 439
Joined: January 9th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by sergey » November 15th, 2019, 9:16 am

gaojicainiao wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 12:24 am
Unfortunately, I gave up using YouTube. I deeply understand why my home country blocks YouTube. I don't like it and I hate it! :(
Why do you hate it? :?
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.

User avatar
gaojicainiao
Posts: 46
Joined: August 11th, 2018, 10:46 am
Location: 中华人民共和国(The People's Republic of China)
Contact:

Re: I made an unofficial trailer

Post by gaojicainiao » November 15th, 2019, 11:14 am

sergey wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 9:16 am
Why do you hate it? :?
As many people know, "freedom of speech" is a big joke on YouTube. I don't mind, because YouTube is not my main activity platform.

When you say "China's society is harmonious", "I support China" and so on, YouTube will not support you, most of these videos won't have a high number of views, even can not be found by searching (Same to some other countries). When you say “China is doomed to die”, “China's socialism is evil” and so on, that doesn't matter to YouTube.

I also don't care much about it ↑, because most of Chinese can not visit YouTube.

Riots have been going on in Hong Kong (an important city of China) for months, YouTube becomes a platform helping riots against to my home country. (People in Hong Kong can visit YouTube directly.) Fake news around everywhere and facts are hidden. I am angry.
A maintainer of an unofficial Chinese wesnoth forum.
唯爱北民,却是菜鸟。( I love northerners only. However, I'm a noob...forever.)
请中国玩家访问我为你做的非官方帮助网页。( Chinese players, please visit the unofficial help page I made for you. )

Locked