Remakes to stop!

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

holypaladin

Remakes to stop!

Post by holypaladin »

I see gam (everybody RPG)This is remake of BFW.
Let's see. Let's search that question Quickly. :?
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Caladbolg

Re: Remakes to stop!

Post by Caladbolg »

It was poorly worded, but he's saying he saw a game (called 'Everybody RPG') that is a 'remake of bfw'. I checked it out, the game uses some wesnoth unit sprites so maybe there's some legal issue with that. It'd be good if someone more knowledgeable checked if everything is ok with them using stuff from wesnoth.
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Is that game GPL?
I like beavers.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

shadowm wrote: June 8th, 2018, 9:27 pm
BTIsaac wrote: June 8th, 2018, 11:44 amThe page in the app store says "contains ads". Doesn't that mean you're making money off a game that uses assets from a free game?
Nothing wrong with that in the particular cases of the GNU GPL and CC BY-SA licenses as long as the assets in question are correctly attributed and licensed.
So no, the whole game doesn’t need to the GNU GPL, but the graphics they use from us (and any other graphics that constitute derivative work) from do need to be.

Also, Eagle, you can be less rude when telling someone you don’t understand what they are saying, you know.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Landiss

Post by Landiss »

shadowm wrote: June 10th, 2018, 6:02 pm So no, the whole game doesn’t need to the GNU GPL, but the graphics they use from us (and any other graphics that constitute derivative work) from do need to be.
Interesting. I always assumed that the whole product containing some GPL work is considered derivative and as such must be GPL as well. Specifically:
2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.
c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this License. (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on the Program is not required to print an announcement.)
Source: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

And this is pretty much why we want to only use CC BY-SA for new artwork moving forward. The GNU GPL was designed for code, so it is very code-oriented. By all means, there is no reason why Wesnoth’s artwork should be considered an intrinsic part of the game — and in practice, it isn’t, since it is often not licensed for use until the artist finishes it and it gets added to the game. Likewise, it really shouldn’t be considered a single monolithic unit licensed as a whole, especially now that some artwork can and will be licensed under CC BY-SA. So a more practical interpretation is to assume that the “program” is actually every individual image file, and their component parts/source code is the individual pixels (which is often literally the case, really).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Landiss

Post by Landiss »

Ok, I see what's your reasoning, even though I think it's a bit creative (using same logic you could take any GPL program, change it somehow, claim the changes are separate programs and thus do not have to be GPLed). But in general, yes, this should be easier with a licence that is better suited to the purpose.
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Ok. Other remake. On wattpad I see story named "Ranine-czyli jak bardzo zmienić bieg historii". See that. Remake , isn't it?
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Can-ned_Food

Re: Remakes to stop! — email sent

Post by Can-ned_Food »

shadowm wrote: June 10th, 2018, 6:02 pm Also, Eagle, you can be less rude when telling someone you don’t understand what they are saying, you know.
Yeah: a bit of research would show that English is that person's second language by rather a large amount.
As I remember reading someone else on the internet say: If I can't speak your first language better than you speak mine, then I have no right to complain.
The only problem is if they expect you to understand them clearly — i.e. unrealistic expectations.

Anyways …

The only violation of GPL with remakes — derivative works — is if the remake doesn't release the source code freely. CC is similar but much more versatile. Unless the CC license requires it be distributed at no charge — and there are variants which do include such a stipulation, — there is no prohibition whatsoever from selling GPL or CC works at a cost.
I quote:
You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.
Here's the info:
Everybody's RPG is an APK available via the Gruelgle Pay distribution service. It requires the Android OS. Its developer is Nomad Games, and their email is available on that aforementioned webpage.

I sent them an email requesting more information. Here's the text of that:
Hello Nomad Games devs,

Recently, some people on a forum which I frequent noticed[1] that your game shared some assets with a GNU General Public License (GPL) project known The Battle For Wesnoth[2]. Out of curiosity, and a desire to resolve the issue as soon as possible, I would like to request that you confirm for them that your game was released with a license that acknowledges the use of GPL components, and that its distribution of those components complies with the requirements of the GPL.

If you need it, more information about the GPL is available here:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Of course, if this information was in error and your game does not use any such assets, then I beg pardon for the bother this has given you. Please inform me and I will pass that along.

Thank you for reading, and here's to the future.

[1] viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48329
[2] https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Project
On 2018-08-02, I received this reply:
Dear sir.
Hello, I am a game developer.
I'm sorry my english skill is not good.
I will keep the GPL ASAP.
So next update I will display the reference of character images(Setting
menu -> Credit menu).
If I need to open the game source code, I will prepare it.
I wish if you have any question, please contact to me anytime.
Thank you.
Seems well enough to me. Maybe not fully compliant with GPL, but only things they used — seemingly — were the images. I sent them a second letter saying as much.

Unless anyone here speaks hangug-eo (Korean) better than I do, I'd consider this matter settled.