New name for the game engine

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Can-ned_Food

New name for the game engine

Post by Can-ned_Food »

This is superficial and is something I'll be doing myself.
Names like The Battle for Wesnoth or The Sweet Life of Bees (forthcoming!) shall be reserved for the backdrop and such.

Well enough that Dave or whoever didn't take the id Software approach and name their engine right out the gate — slapping on the content as marketting tool i.e. nothing more than a demo for it. However, I think the engine has received enough development and garnered enough utilization so as to deserve a name apart from its flagship theme — even if I'll be the only one to use such a distinction.

As of now, I've decided on CombatTiles: it is simple, smooth, and corny — like a big plate of grits.
I would be willing to entertain suggestions, though.
Last edited by Can-ned_Food on March 5th, 2018, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: New name for the game engine

Post by Iris »

The Wesnoth engine.

It’s so highly specialized and hardly usable outside of the game it was expressly written for (a large share of aspects of the gameplay and design were hardcoded until version 1.0 or even version 1.8) that I don’t feel a fancy name for marketing purposes is useful at all. Any places that need to make mention of a concrete name in the code refer to it as “wesnoth” anyway.

(Also, Dave first and foremost wanted to write a game with an AI engine fulfilling certain requirements. Almost everything else that’s happened thus far is just icing on the cake.)

Finally, even though you’re more than welcome to come up with your own pet name for the Wesnoth engine, it’s ultimately up to the devs to adopt an official name that everyone will be able to recognize. After almost 15 years of development you’ll be hard-pressed to get them to do that.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Firstly, you ignored the opener of the post. Second, you misunderstood the gist of the second paragraph, though I suppose that could be my mistake.

Yes, certain things e.g. the Warcraft III engine will always be labelled as such, even though it, being less modifiable and extensible than Wesnoth, has had maps and scenarios done on it with more variation and augmentation in almost as many years.
Well, that could be debated. Actually, considering the difference in comparative number of active modders for each, the erstwhile Wesnoth engine has seen quite a bit of creative expansion.

Most of my projects have little or nothing to do with Wesnoth as the country and kingdom proper, and so that's why I decided to use a different name. It is quite obvious to me because I know what I mean, and anyone who looks at my notes and see by context that I am describing something other than the place in a certain plethora of fictional lore, but I'm a categorizer and a namer.

So, anyway. I'll take from your post that your suggestion is Cake.
How did you know about my Food Fighters project?
Last edited by Can-ned_Food on March 14th, 2018, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Cake works.

As a programmer, I could come up with better names, but, while my wife hears them regularly, such names are not fit for polite conversation.

Hmm. Just tried it out.

"Look at this cake of cake function! It's such a caking piece of cake! I can't caking believe the caker who wrote this caking pile of cake had any caking clue how to caking cake! Cake!"

From the look on her face I guess she's thinking, "Tad's gone bye-bye."

(Man, do I hope I'm not the caker who committed caking cake in the first place.)

But, then, the strange look is so much better than her normal, "Well if it upsets you so, why don't you take out the trash, trim the lawn, and bring me the next load of laundry. Oh, and I need you to run to Walmart for (some long list of items which, after decades together you'd think she'd learn I'll only remember four and get two things she didn't ask for); and don't forget it's 2:15 and <the grandson> gets home from school at 3:25, so you'd best get moving."
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Can-ned_Food wrote: March 5th, 2018, 12:17 pmFirstly, you ignored the opener of the post.

[...]

So, anyway. I'll take from your post that your suggestion is Cake.
How did you know about my Food Fighters project?
Since it was in Ideas I thought it was supposed to be serious, but when you put things like that I guess we’d better give the thread a new home. :)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Whatever. Like I said, I've already decided on a name.

I take it you're trying to egg me on, but I can say quite unsyrupticiously that I am indeed developing — well, more planning at this point — a Food Fighters era. You want to see some of the sprites?

There. Easy as pie.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The description of the Ideas forum does quite directly say:
Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game.
Ideas for your own content don't really belong there.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Can-ned_Food

Re: purpose of Ideas forum

Post by Can-ned_Food »

I'm confused, though. Doesn't it allow for a [UMC] tag?

If, by “additions to the game” it means additions or changes to a certain fork of the project and not to anything else, then might I recommend you guys change that Read This post to make it more clear?

Well, of course: you mean that it isn't for private things or separate forks. Add–ons are, of course, used by the main fork.
Nevertheless, you might want to consider making that a bit clearer. Thanks.

P.S. Also, this is continuing to appear in the Ideas board for me. When I click the topic, the sorting above shows it in the Off-Topic. It does not appear in that listing for me. Is that expected behavior for a move, or is something broken?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

When moving topics we can leave behind “shadow topics” that redirect to the new forum, to avoid confusing people who might otherwise believe their topic was deleted rather than relocated.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: purpose of Ideas forum

Post by Pentarctagon »

Can-ned_Food wrote: March 6th, 2018, 1:56 am I'm confused, though. Doesn't it allow for a [UMC] tag?

If, by “additions to the game” it means additions or changes to a certain fork of the project and not to anything else, then might I recommend you guys change that Read This post to make it more clear?

Well, of course: you mean that it isn't for private things or separate forks. Add–ons are, of course, used by the main fork.
Nevertheless, you might want to consider making that a bit clearer. Thanks.

P.S. Also, this is continuing to appear in the Ideas board for me. When I click the topic, the sorting above shows it in the Off-Topic. It does not appear in that listing for me. Is that expected behavior for a move, or is something broken?
The [MUST-READ] thread says:
This category is for “User Made Content”. These topics would be used for suggesting things for add-on creators.
ie: suggestions for improving Wesnoth for UMC authors. Not to post ideas for your particular add-on.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code