I need advice on my computer's configuration

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Naron

I need advice on my computer's configuration

Post by Naron »

Recently I have build a newer computer from parts, thinking it will be an upgrade from my old Pentium D 805 system. But it doesn't seem to be so, in fact it seems to be a downgrade :augh:
It runs some programs noticeably slower than on my old system, for example Firefox is running like sh*t on this "upgrade". On some sites, especially on Youtube, the CPU load reaches 100% and seldom falls under 70% when playing HD videos. The components are: CPU AMD Sempron 2650 1.45 GHz, integrated Radeon R3 GPU, 4 GB DDR3, 500 GB HDD, motherboard Gigabyte GA-AM1M-S2P.
I know that this build is not exactly new, but it's *newer* than the old Pentium D 805 and I expected it to run better. This behavior is similar on both Windows 7 and Debian 9 x64. Am I doing something wrong or it is indeed a downgrade?
Poison

Re: I need advice on my computer's configuration

Post by Poison »

Sempron 2650 is slower than the old Pentium? You could also overclock this Pentium and hit really high speeds, it was a little gem actually. Yes it is a downgrade you've traded a 2.6 Ghz dual-core for a 1.45 one. My suggestion would be to get a lightweight distro with openbox probably.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Er, the Sempron 2600s were release in 2004, while the Pentium D 805 was released in 2005, so calling the Sempron "newer" is... odd.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Poison

Post by Poison »

Pentarctagon wrote:Er, the Sempron 2600s were release in 2004, while the Pentium D 805 was released in 2005, so calling the Sempron "newer" is... odd.
No this particular model model is from 2014 I think. At OP this cpu is good to make a little home server as it has really low TDP but is not fit for desktop usage really.
Naron

Post by Naron »

@Pentarctagon, it's not a Sempron 2600 series but an AMD APU marketed under the Sempron brand. It's much newer (launched in 2014), that is why I've thought that it will be faster and more efficient despite of its lower frequency. So what I could do now?
Poison

Post by Poison »

Well when there is low performance there's only one thing that really helps and that is to change hardware unfortunately. You could go back to your old Pentium if you have it and overclock it too. A ssd will help this cpu a lot but ofc you won't go for such an expensive solution. Only thing you could do is try a lighter environment as I mentioned above; see the first link below to install and tweak openbox, if you want a different distro from scratch try sparkylinux (Debian), get the minimal iso and choose either i3, enlightenment, openbox or LXDE as desktop or also try WattOS (Debian,Ubuntu) which has LXDE and i3 too (or get Debian LXDE).

https://wiki.debian.org/Openbox
https://sparkylinux.org/
http://planetwatt.com/new/
Last edited by Poison on November 6th, 2017, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Along similar lines to what Poison says, I had a good experience with LXLE (http://lxle.net/). About a year ago, I had to revive an old netbook (some atom processor, I don't remember the specs, but it was very cheap when I bought it about seven/eight years ago) and while the thing was almost useless with the Windows 7 it came with, it was perfectly fine with LXLE.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Naron

Post by Naron »

I have talked to the person who has sold me the CPU+motherboard combo and he said that if I return the Sempron and the motherboard and pay the price difference, I can get another combo: an Intel Celeron G1620 2.7 GHz+mobo Gigabyte GA-H61M-S1 and it would be compatible with the rest of the components.
What do you think, it's worth it? Would it be a real upgrade from my old Pentium D 805?
Poison

Post by Poison »

This combo is decent, I had made an almost identical build for a friend in an ancient case using an ASUS mobo with the same chipset (same thing really), I had actually kept a photo of it, here it is:

G1620+Asus H61M

Its usage was mainly HTPC and a little bit of Football Manager, a game which performs similar to BfW and I had no complaints; it was running fluently. Having said that, your old Pentium is similar to this processor and if OC it will still perform better! (Celeron is generally not a good line, although this particular model was decent). What I would advise you to do is to search for the (ridiculously cheap and only the best budget processor ever - I have it in one of my desktops) Pentium G3258 at your seller or online and pair it with a cheap Z87 mobo like Biostar Z87W (I have other suggestions too in mind but the availability and prices differ from country to country so not sure what else to suggest), if you OC it (with stock cooler!) and pair it with a good graphics card later it will even be able to do serious gaming, that would be a real upgrade. Also this way you get the LGA 1150 socket which is the latest so you have compatibility with future processor models (although that is not certain). Other candidates include G2030 (has on OC capable integrated gpu), Pentium G3260 (similar to 3258, a little worse gpu chip, cheaper too), i3 3220, all similarly priced or cheaper but perform better than Pentium D 805 and Celeron G1620 out of the box and can be OC if you wish.
Naron

Post by Naron »

I do not do heavy gaming, most games that I play are some older titles so if you say that the Celeron G1620 is decent, then it's good enough for me.
Thanks very much for help.
Poison

Post by Poison »

Fine but keep in mind that the combo I've suggested or some other mobo if you search might have the same price or actually be cheaper, you are getting much increased performance for the same or less amount of money, so I'd advise you to search that first. If you are adamant that you won't overclock you could choose a mobo with the H81 chipset and spend even less, this combo will definitely be cheaper than your choice.
Naron

Post by Naron »

Perhaps you're right, it seems I can get a Pentium G2030+mobo combo for only a little bit higher price difference. And yes, I don't do overclocking either because I think it's dangerous to the CPU's lifespan. So, yeah, the Pentium G2030 is the choice.
Thanks again for help.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Poison wrote:Also this way you get the LGA 1150 socket which is the latest so you have compatibility with future processor models (although that is not certain).
The last three Intel CPU generations (from oldest to newest, Skylake, Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake) use LGA 1151, with the latest generation using an incompatible pinout compared to the previous two.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Poison

Post by Poison »

shadowm wrote:
Poison wrote:Also this way you get the LGA 1150 socket which is the latest so you have compatibility with future processor models (although that is not certain).
The last three Intel CPU generations (from oldest to newest, Skylake, Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake) use LGA 1151, with the latest generation using an incompatible pinout compared to the previous two.
Sorry my bad, I thought Skylake used 1150, haven't used any of Skylake or Kaby Lake models.
Naron

Post by Naron »

An interesting fact, although I don't quite understand the reason: a friend of mine has lend me temporarily an old kit consisting of an Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, an Asrock mobo with Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics and 2 GB DDR2 of RAM memory. And guess what? Firefox ran quite well on it and I was able to play HD videos (720p) from Youtube without a hiccup! And I did not install a discrete graphics card, I was just using the GMA X3100 and as I said, it ran 720p videos on Youtube quite fluently, unlike the Sempron 2650 with its integrated graphics.
How come that, an old kit with fewer RAM memory and worse integrated graphics was performing better than the newer Sempron 2650 kit with 4 GB RAM and better integrated graphics? Unbelievably to me.
How would you explain this? I'm really curious.