Wesnoth - The Movie

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zap-Zarap

Wesnoth - The Movie

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Once, that "Wesnoth inc." and the other new business stuff have generated enough money, will there a Wesnoth movie be produced? Would it be animation or with real actors?
Of course "Heir To The Throne" would be the first movie, then maybe "The Rise Of Wesnoth" as a prequel... but then?
I like beavers.
UK1

Re: Wesnoth - The Movie

Post by UK1 »

Zap-Zarap wrote:Once, that "Wesnoth inc." and the other new business stuff have generated enough money, will there a Wesnoth movie be produced? Would it be animation or with real actors?
Of course "Heir To The Throne" would be the first movie, then maybe "The Rise Of Wesnoth" as a prequel... but then?
A boy can dream.

(Shirtless, obviously) Craig Horner as the Prince.
Lena Headey (obviously) as Asheviere
Donald Sutherland as Delfador
Jennifer Lawrence as the Princess.

Let's do this.
"Hey you, bats should be nerfed."
"Why?"
"Because I lost a game to bat swarm and I'm bitterUhm... clarity... and... consistency? Yeah yeah that sounds good. Clarity and consistency."
Do not. Nerf. The bat.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hmm...

Its hard to say which campaigns would make good movies. There are too many mainline campaigns and each are not quite related to each other. Personally i think that if a movie was to be made it would have to combine a few campaigns together. (For example: Under the Burning Black Eye, or The Hammer into Wesmere's Guard, or Two Brothers Decent into Rebirth or Heir to the Rise of a Throne :lol: )

But in seriousness probably multiple campaigns would be combined (and shortened) and for once (like everyone has always wished) Thursagen would meet the son of black eye (his name is Kapou'e) and Konrad would meet Tallin and they would get in a argument about who was better. (Tallin of course would win the argument having fought down a ancient lich, the most powerful of sorcerers with no master wizard to help him) Kalenz would then come over and try to be formal and polite but after being ignored for a few minutes would get impatient and end up in a sword duel versus both Tallin and Konrad. Lisar would then have to convince Konrad to use his better judgement and stop fighting but Tallin annoyed that he now had to face Kalenz alone would insult her and get himself stabbed through. This would then lead to a large scrimmage between Tallin's followers and Lisar's soldiers. And it would be a close battle upon which Kalenz would look and laugh. But in the midst of the fray the Son of Black eye (stilled named Kapou'e) would storm down upon the ranks in a attempt to take the glory for himself. Kalenz (hating orcs) would then be forced to join in (and since Tallin's followers are still intent on killing Lisar) A four way battle ensues.

The Movie can end with a dramatic four way sword duel after everyones soldiers have died and Lisar,Kalenze,Konrad, and Kapou'e are the only survivors in a massive valley of death.

:lol: Then again that wouldn't make a very popular movie so i suggest we stick with the traditional campaigns (they were better thought out then my compilation :mrgreen: )

Also, as everyone knows, the real money from the movie is made in merchandising. Clothing,Food,Games,Action figures, toothbrushers, sunglasses and everything else imaginable needs to be branded with Wesnoth and then we will be rich!!! :D
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Having been around here for 6 years, I do recall that there was a post (not this one) where some user mentioned that he would be making a movie, stating his budget and idea. I think it was in late 2011. In case if you're wondering, the movie was supposed to be the plot of Heir to the Throne as it is Wesnoth's Flagship campaign.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
UK1

Post by UK1 »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Having been around here for 6 years, I do recall that there was a post (not this one) where some user mentioned that he would be making a movie, stating his budget and idea. I think it was in late 2011. In case if you're wondering, the movie was supposed to be the plot of Heir to the Throne as it is Wesnoth's Flagship campaign.
I'll be very, very honest:

Even if someone made a C-level movie (I'm talking worse than the Dungeons and Dragons movie) for Wesnoth, I would absolutely positively watch it.
"Hey you, bats should be nerfed."
"Why?"
"Because I lost a game to bat swarm and I'm bitterUhm... clarity... and... consistency? Yeah yeah that sounds good. Clarity and consistency."
Do not. Nerf. The bat.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

mainline campaigns wouldn't make too good movies, i think there are two UMC series which could be nicely fit for movies:
1.IftU series
2.The Dragon Trilogy
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

(I'm talking worse than the Dungeons and Dragons movie)
I watched Dungeons and Dragons Three, and it was alright. The love scene between the dark sorceress and the crusader was unnecessary though.

I would watch the Wesnoth movie too, even if it was worst than Arthur and Merlin (the one with Stefan Butler as Merlin).
If you're in university and there is a drama club, you can take the idea to them. I would not count on them to make one though (my university drama club is too biased towards drama and romance :augh: ).
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Zap-Zarap wrote:Once, that "Wesnoth inc." and the other new business stuff have generated enough money, will there a Wesnoth movie be produced?
The money generated by "Wesnoth, Inc." business stuff might be enough to cover a low-end Android phone for the cameraman and some aluminum foil for a helmet for spear-carrier #3. They could go to some LARP gathering, and as long as somebody there has pointy ears, the footage could probably be used for something.

Making a movie would be a real challenge, but might not be the best use of volunteer resources. Let's see what happens in the next 10 years.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

somebody get Uwe Bhol drunk and tell him about the idea, you'll get a cheap generic movie with bad acting (despite some well known stars who refuse to be associated with it afterwards), lazily written plot and bad fx which has nothing to do with Wesnoth except for the name.

Likely cast:
Samuel L. Jackson as Konrad
Sylvester Stallone as Defaldor
etc...
:augh:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:somebody get Uwe Bhol drunk and tell him about the idea, you'll get a cheap generic movie with bad acting (despite some well known stars who refuse to be associated with it afterwards), lazily written plot and bad fx which has nothing to do with Wesnoth except for the name.

Likely cast:
Samuel L. Jackson as Konrad
Sylvester Stallone as Defaldor
etc...
:augh:
:lol: but stalone would make a terrible delfador ;)
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

I just had the same idea. Wesnoth: The Movie FTW :-D

... but yeah, most campaigns are not nearly fleshed out enough to make a good movie. With a large effects budget if could a hack-and-slash affair like the Warcraft movie perhaps. Or - it could go in an entirely different direction had there been some kind of novelization of anything.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

You mean like Stone Remembers?
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]