Religious beliefs and video games

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Religious beliefs and video games

Post by Pentarctagon »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Religion made its way into the Wesnoth forums? Time to find a new forum...
You probably should have left back when the Khalifate were introduced then :P
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Religious arguments were all the rage back in the day. Like, this is just a reasonable, personal question; no arguing really, no flames yet XD
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

They say you shouldn't discuss Religion, Politics and Sport, it always leads to a punch-up.

The reason is actually very simple these are groups our society creates to have an "us" and a "them".
I am not saying here that I don't believe in whatever manifestation of Divinity or that "society created God" (that is not what I believe at all) - only that religion is not about man's relationship to the Divine, but about man's relationship to other wo/man.
Region is about separating people, not bringing them together. Creating divides between "holy" and "unholy", between "believers" and "unbelievers", between "the righteous" and "sinners".

It serves an important function in our society: Humans are by nature not truly a social species such as bees or ants, we like to form small groups which go out and kill other small groups, that is human nature paraphrased.
Religion, sport and politics give us ways of satisfying our need for primitive barbarism without getting people killed every time. But they can also satisfy this need by just giving us an excuse to go out and kill people.

Question: why would an all-powerful God who created the entire universe and everything in it, a being who has everything happen exactly in accordance with his will, why would such a being need YOU to defend him against some troll on the internet saying he doesn't exist? Really?

So yes, mature discussions on religion are theoretically possible, even online, but don't you dare mention the English Premier League, that's just asking for trouble. :augh:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I have no intention of getting into a lengthy discussion here. I have final exams coming up! I just wanted to add a few observations of my own.
Midnight_Carnival wrote:The reason is actually very simple these are groups our society creates to have an "us" and a "them".
I am not saying here that I don't believe in whatever manifestation of Divinity or that "society created God" (that is not what I believe at all) - only that religion is not about man's relationship to the Divine, but about man's relationship to other wo/man.
Region is about separating people, not bringing them together. Creating divides between "holy" and "unholy", between "believers" and "unbelievers", between "the righteous" and "sinners".
Well, I can see how you would get that impression, because that's often how people live their religions. But I don't think that's the purpose of religion. Speaking from my experience as a Roman Catholic, there would be no more "us" versus "them" if everyone understood what it means to say that we're all sinners in need of redemption. That makes Christianity less about "us" versus "them" and more about "Hey, we're all in this together!"
Question: why would an all-powerful God who created the entire universe and everything in it, a being who has everything happen exactly in accordance with his will, why would such a being need YOU to defend him against some troll on the internet saying he doesn't exist? Really?
Quite simply, he doesn't. But when you love someone, you want to stand up for that person. Same when you love God. It's really that simple.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Temuchin, well said, and nice to keep seeing old faces as I come back!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Thrawn wrote:Temuchin, well said, and nice to keep seeing old faces as I come back!
Thank you! And yes, I'm still around. These days, though, I mostly make maps based on a fantasy world I created years ago with my two brothers and one of my sisters. See the link in my signature and check out my Agaia series.

EDIT: Here are some interesting findings. Kind of supports my point, I think!

http://www.livescience.com/57021-religi ... ation.html