going east?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GunChleoc
Translator

Re: going east?

Post by GunChleoc »

Is there a possibility to find appropriate Cyrillic symbols?

I just had a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Arabic

Were any of these followed while creating the Khalifate faction?

You might also find this useful: http://www.omniglot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=484
taptap

Post by taptap »

You can't follow any of these transliteration schemes, if you only have English language letters available, it is more of an informal transcription. So even if it started out as a transliteration and not someone scribbling the names on paper, people cut corners (e.g. all diacritical signs) afterwards. The best may be a transcribing from Arabic in your language or you will end up translating the meaning instead.

Take Arif (عريف): it would be strictly speaking ʻarīf (in most of the listed transliterations). But you can't really have that outside Arabic lessons, so cut all the non-letter stuff and get Arif.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Makes sense. The ʻarīf might still come in useful though to create renditions in other scripts - the problem is that the Russian or Chinese translator will probably not be able to read Arabic, and they will probably have some sounds distinctions available that had to be dropped for the Romanization. An IPA representation or the detailed Romanization could help with that.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

GunChleoc wrote:Is there a possibility to find appropriate Cyrillic symbols?
I just had a look at this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Arabic
Were any of these followed while creating the Khalifate faction?
You might also find this useful: http://www.omniglot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=484
taptap wrote:You can't follow any of these transliteration schemes, if you only have English language letters available, it is more of an informal transcription. So even if it started out as a transliteration and not someone scribbling the names on paper, people cut corners (e.g. all diacritical signs) afterwards. The best may be a transcribing from Arabic in your language or you will end up translating the meaning instead.

Take Arif (عريف): it would be strictly speaking ʻarīf (in most of the listed transliterations). But you can't really have that outside Arabic lessons, so cut all the non-letter stuff and get Arif.
Sorry, but did I make myself clear?
I do not care about a quality of a transliteration, would it be strictly transliteration from arabian, or second wave transliteration from English.
In both cases it would be, oh, it is already senseless (or even funny) set of a sounds in Russian, as a transliteration of word Sylph.
It was a decision of developers to use 'Khalid' and not a 'Great Hero' in English. I do not like this decision. For me is totally ridiculous in a fantasy game for a reasons discussed many times, so no more about it. It is as ridiculous as including Irwim fraction to mainline with names of units on hebrew or some non-existent Russian or Japan fraction with corresponding names of units taken stright from original languages.

But we translated word 'Sylph', invented our own name for it in russian, and as I know, no one insists on that it should be transliterated and not translated. As we can translate Archer on Russian with using Russian word.
But in case of Khalifate, developers for some reason created a whole fraction of transliterated names from Arabian to English. Decision, as I said, I do not like, but it is your language, after all.
My question is: is this obligatory to have a whole fraction of transliterated names in Russian? Have we right to have not 'Rami' but 'Horse Archer' instead, not 'Hadaf' but 'Dead eye' and so on.
Last edited by Aldarisvet on May 1st, 2015, 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Aldarisvet wrote:is this obligatory to have a whole fraction of transliterated names in Russian? Have we right to have not 'Rami' but 'Horse Archer' instead, not 'Hadaf' but 'Dead eye' and so on.
My 2 cents: You should just treat Khals the same as you treated Sylph and Wose.

What do translations of Lord of the Rings do with names like "Uruk-Hai" ?
Surely this is handled just as a transliteration and not an attempt to translate to Russian something that Tolkien originally did not put in English, because he wanted the immersive fantasy effect of having transliterated words from foreign languages?
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

iceiceice wrote:
Aldarisvet wrote:is this obligatory to have a whole fraction of transliterated names in Russian? Have we right to have not 'Rami' but 'Horse Archer' instead, not 'Hadaf' but 'Dead eye' and so on.
My 2 cents: You should just treat Khals the same as you treated Sylph and Wose.

What do translations of Lord of the Rings do with names like "Uruk-Hai" ?
Surely this is handled just as a transliteration and not an attempt to translate to Russian something that Tolkien originally did not put in English, because he wanted the immersive fantasy effect of having transliterated words from foreign languages?
For now we have Wose translated as Leshii, and Sylph is still transliterated, but people agreed on my suggestions which is not implemented yet.
Well, my suggestion for Sylph is something like witch or 'Charm caster' if it is traslated back to English.

About 'Uruk-Hai', they really not translated but transliterated in Russian. Same about 'Haradrim'. But I want to say, these words have marked negative tone in Tolkien world, because all these orcs or southern people were in the side of evil. So this words have deliberately alienation affect. I myself, conversely, want Khalifate to be less alienated. My Khalifate hero wants to be normal, less alienated, less negative coloured, lol, why, positive coloured of course (while still with eastern/arabian charm), or I do not like such hero in my campaign. And incomprehensive names of units do not help at all.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Aldarisvet wrote:I myself, conversely, want Khalifate to be less alienated. My Khalifate hero wants to be normal, less alienated, less negative coloured (while still with eastern/arabian charm), or I do not like such hero in my campaign.
You know, I think you've changed my mind about this, not that my opinion counts for anything on this.

It doesn't really make sense that units from different cultures like Dwarves and Orcs get English names, but the Khals get transliterated names as though they are incomprehensible. It's a subtle way of "othering" them, I guess. :hmm:

It would probably make more sense if the Khals mostly had English names (in the "untranslated" game text I mean), at least it's more consistent with the other factions.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

iceiceice wrote:
Aldarisvet wrote:I myself, conversely, want Khalifate to be less alienated. My Khalifate hero wants to be normal, less alienated, less negative coloured (while still with eastern/arabian charm), or I do not like such hero in my campaign.
You know, I think you've changed my mind about this, not that my opinion counts for anything on this.

It doesn't really make sense that units from different cultures like Dwarves and Orcs get English names, but the Khals get transliterated names as though they are incomprehensible. It's a subtle way of "othering" them, I guess. :hmm:

It would probably make more sense if the Khals mostly had English names (in the "untranslated" game text I mean), at least it's more consistent with the other factions.
Oh, I am happy that my distress about all this theme got some effect finally at least on someone. Also I do not want to suffer alone and to be misunderstood :)
This self-analyzing about questions about differences in cultures and tolerance is really draining.
Tolerance can not be created by forceful and stright way, I really got feeling that the game discriminated me somehow as Russian when it creates 'special' attitude to arabians/islam. Well, I know, western feel - this whole is our catholic-origin game, why not let get some space to muslim in it? But for me it is an international game, not catholic.
When I played 'Under Burning Suns' I for sure felt HUGE bible/islam motives in the context, but this did not make my angry, conversely, I sympathize to desert elves. This campaign promotes desert and exile romantic much better then if Desert Elves would be changed to Khalifate.
______

And about 'othering' - you cannot imagine how funny/stupid some Khalifate unit names looks in Russian. Well, Arif or Faris looks ok, even nobly, but not some others. I think that in purpurse of 'rapprochement of cultures' there must be 5-10% of other-language names, no more, no less.

And knowing russian habit to shorten everything in speaking, oh, i just wonder what MP players made/could made with "Qatif-al-nar". For sure it gonna became something like 'Katya' which is the short form for female name Catherine :augh: . But probably for now most MP players plays English version.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

There’s a forum section for this kind of question and it’s not this one.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.