Windows hates me

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bobit

Windows hates me

Post by Bobit »

Windows keeps deleting Wesnoth and basically every other game I download from sourceforge. It also deleted my entire downloads folder and more. Can anyone recommend what I should do?

P.S. never buying a windows again. The antiviruses are worse than most viruses, updates default to being forced, and if you don't update then everything starts breaking because everything is designed for the latest update, when all updates do is make it WORSE if any thing at all! (If they're secretly fixing glitches, then it's even worse because this product is glitchy af) :evil:
gnombat

Re: Windows hates me

Post by gnombat »

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but are you using Google Chrome to download?

Chrome has been known to flag (and delete) downloads as malicious for no apparent reason.

(I recommend downloading using Firefox instead.)
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

If you hate Windows so much, you should calm down and download Mint, Ubuntu, openSUSE or something. You don't even have to delete Windows. Pretty much all the Linux installers support dual booting.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Bobit

Post by Bobit »

beetlenaut wrote:If you hate Windows so much, you should calm down and download Mint, Ubuntu, openSUSE or something. You don't even have to delete Windows. Pretty much all the Linux installers support dual booting.
Thanks for responding ;) won't it lag a lot more though?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

No. I'm not talking about running one operating system inside another. By "dual booting" I mean you get to choose which one to boot into. Most Linux installers set that up by default if Windows is there. I did that for about six months until I realized I wasn't using Windows at all any more.

It's something to try before you go get a Mac. If you like it, it'll save you a couple thousand dollars.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Bobit

Post by Bobit »

beetlenaut wrote:No. I'm not talking about running one operating system inside another. By "dual booting" I mean you get to choose which one to boot into. Most Linux installers set that up by default if Windows is there. I did that for about six months until I realized I wasn't using Windows at all any more.

It's something to try before you go get a Mac. If you like it, it'll save you a couple thousand dollars.
Just FYI, my family has 3 macs lol. I'm typing this on a mac right now. I'm just asking for future reference. Thanks. :D
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Bobit wrote:Windows keeps deleting Wesnoth and basically every other game I download from sourceforge. It also deleted my entire downloads folder and more. Can anyone recommend what I should do?
First of all, you should check the advanced settings of Chrome (it may be needed to disable the anti-malware protection, but I cannot recommend it) and check the Windows Attachment Manager settings, as these can stop downloads as well. Also, check your antivirus' settings.
Bobit wrote:P.S. never buying a windows again. The antiviruses are worse than most viruses, updates default to being forced, and if you don't update then everything starts breaking because everything is designed for the latest update, when all updates do is make it WORSE if any thing at all! (If they're secretly fixing glitches, then it's even worse because this product is glitchy af) :evil:
But above all, you should - as beetlenaut said - calm down and avoid bashing operating system in this way, because it may start a flame, and flames are against point 1b of our Posting Guidelines.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that you were attempting to start a flame - I'm just explaining what it may happen ;) .
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Bobit

Post by Bobit »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:...check the Windows Attachment Manager settings...
Sorry to drag you back to this, but windows deleted wesnoth again. I'm not sure if you understand correctly right now. Windows (or whatever security program my computer has) doesn't have a problem with me downloading or running wesnoth. However, every once in a while the computer will crash, and once it does it will delete everything that I had downloaded (including notepad++), and also change the language of chrome to chinese (I live in asia). It's very strange, and I really can't see why it happens.. :hmm:

EDIT: I also needed to update steam, which I think I needed to do some time ago, so that might mean that windows is reverting everything back to what it was a few weeks ago. I told windows to never update itself without my permission, and that setting is still there though.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Bobit wrote:Windows (or whatever security program my computer has) ... steam...
Hm.

1. I had problems with a fresh windows in the first day; I suspect some update has helped getting another user account working.

2. Please find out what security programs you have running and what their settings are. I deleted the preinstalled McAffee and things improved on my system.

3. Try another browser. (I never used chrome and probably never will.)

4. I had a very unpleasant experience with steam and will never have it on any system again. There is also a known bug where steam may erase all user data, even on external hdd; it happened on linux, I believe on windows too, but it ought to be fixed in current versions.

hth
I have a cunning plan.
Bobit

Post by Bobit »

nuorc wrote:
Bobit wrote:Windows (or whatever security program my computer has) ... steam...
Hm.

1. I had problems with a fresh windows in the first day; I suspect some update has helped getting another user account working.

2. Please find out what security programs you have running and what their settings are. I deleted the preinstalled McAffee and things improved on my system.

3. Try another browser. (I never used chrome and probably never will.)

4. I had a very unpleasant experience with steam and will never have it on any system again. There is also a known bug where steam may erase all user data, even on external hdd; it happened on linux, I believe on windows too, but it ought to be fixed in current versions.

hth
2. I'm apparently running Avira, used to be running Mcafee before the computer was totally wiped. Does anyone have a better alternative?

4. Well, I'll keep that in mind, but Dota remained downloaded on steam, so I'm pretty convinced that everything since a certain time was deleted, while everything before that time remained.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Bobit wrote:Windows (or whatever security program my computer has) doesn't have a problem with me downloading or running wesnoth. However, every once in a while the computer will crash, and once it does it will delete everything that I had downloaded (including notepad++), and also change the language of chrome to chinese (I live in asia).
That's very strange indeed. When you're talking about crash, do you mean that you're getting a Blue Screen Of Death, right? In that case, you can try writing the error messages and searching for them with Google (there's somewhere an option to disable the automatic reboot after a BSOD).
nuorc wrote:Try another browser. (I never used chrome and probably never will.)
@Bobit: since you're on Windows, you already have Internet Explorer, plus you already installed Chrome; the only browser missing to the collection is Firefox ;) After you installed Firefox (that never deleted me a single thing), if you're still getting the problem, then it doesn't depend on your browsers.
nuorc wrote:There is also a known bug where steam may erase all user data, even on external hdd
I didn't know that, because I don't have Steam installed. :hmm:
Bobit wrote:I'm apparently running Avira, used to be running Mcafee before the computer was totally wiped. Does anyone have a better alternative?
I'm running Avira from 2003, and I never had any issue (except for an update that made my system unstable in 2009 or so, but it was fixed). If you want, you can try AVG, for example (there are a few free antiviruses around).
But... what's your firewall (I always used ZoneAlarm free)? Some firewalls integrate an antivirus: having two antiviruses running at the same time can cause any kind of weird issues, so you'll have to disable the real time scan from one of them, or uninstall one of them, if that's the case.
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Firefox works fine for me, too. I had Avira for years, I'm using Avast now. Also had ZoneAlarm, currently going with Windows' own firewall. And like Elvish_Hunter said you shouldn't have two programs running doing the same...

@Bobit: Do you get a BSoD or does your pc just reboot? You can try to locate the windows events logs and see if there are messages about fatal soft- or hardware problems.
I have a cunning plan.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Avast seems like virus itself. At least it crashed most chrome tabs and was quite difficult to delete, and one file of that I still havent managed to get rid of, ashShA64.dll.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Since it's clear now that the problem isn't with Wesnoth itself, but with something else (we're still trying to find out the cause), I moved the topic to the appropriate forum (Off-topic).