Extracting Wesnoth Sounds

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JakeCWolf

Extracting Wesnoth Sounds

Post by JakeCWolf »

Was curious how one could go about extracting Wesnoth's sound effects for use outside of Wesnoth. Before anyone asks the things I want to use them for are for non-profit, I want use some of the Ogre's sounds to replace the sounds of the Ogres in the Mo' Creatures Mode for Minecraft, the sounds for the Ogres are rather scary, a bit too much so as while tough and hard hitting they are a bit overkill for a such a mob, so I thought back to the sounds of Ogres from Wesnoth and I think they might fit well.

I know I need to extract the .Ogg file with the sounds for Wesnoth in it, but I'm not sure where it's located, I read an old post on the forums saying it was in wesnoth/data/core/ but I don't see a core folder in the Data folder.

Can anyone help me out? Be much appreciated, and if for some reason I'm not allowed to use the sounds, please let me know, not trying to step on anyone's toes or break international law, just want to use an awesome resource for something outside of it's original purpose. :D
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Extracting Wesnoth Sounds

Post by Pentarctagon »

I don't know about the legality, but as far as finding them goes, they are in [wesnoth install directory]/data/core/sounds/[sound name].ogg

So for example, for me it would be E:/Battle_for_Wesnoth_1.11/data/core/sounds/ogre-die1.ogg
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
JakeCWolf

Post by JakeCWolf »

All I have in my Data folder is Add-ons, also it's only called Wesnoth_1.10, not Battle_For_Wesnoth_1.10, I've downloaded and installed only the game, not the Source Code, is that what I need?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

JakeCWolf wrote:All I have in my Data folder is Add-ons, also it's only called Wesnoth_1.10, not Battle_For_Wesnoth_1.10, I've downloaded and installed only the game, not the Source Code, is that what I need?
That's the wrong data folder. You're looking in your userdata folder (has add-ons, saves, etc), you need to look in the folder where the actual game was installed.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I know the guy who made the sounds (Woodwizzle) was of the opinion that his sounds can freely be used (same with mine) even though I can't find any of the posts/PMs where he said it, so there's not really a problem with using them.