Strategy game maps you love and those you hate.

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Midnight_Carnival

Strategy game maps you love and those you hate.

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

In strategy games in general (if you must you can break them down into genres) there are maps I find I love and those I really don't apreciate.

Ones which I don't like so much are:
-ones where the intention seems to be to create a symetrical MP map in which niether palyer has an advantage to the extent that the map resembles no known terain and is almost abstract.
-maps in games with a variety of different unit/structure types which are designed specifically to be limiting such as ones where only certain unit types can cross the majority of the map and if you don't have/build them you're screwed.
-maps where it has been intentionally designed so it is almost impossible for one of the players to win (unless this is the human player against insurmountible odds vs computer players!)

Ones I do like are:
-long epic "corridor" maps where you have to spend hours fighting over just a small increase in territory, where the terrain is rough and difficult to cross and you have to fight like hell to get anywhere (sadly this doesn't often work well in MP games)
-maps where there is an odd asymetrical balance, so that regardless of factions or starting positions, all players have the same chance, only the map looks "realistic"
-maps closely based an actual area which people can visit and imagine tanks/trolls rolling over the hills!

Which do you like? How do you think this general preference effects your Wesnoth skillzzzz?
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
sadlyknight

Re: Strategy game maps you love and those you hate.

Post by sadlyknight »

I like cave maps. But I don't like long or wide maps hat are too long.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

That's not much of a question without context for the game in question...
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I haven't played many strategy games besides Wesnoth, and never played any for a longer time (except wesnoth, that one has a lot of stories, and these stories aren't just the pathetic attack here, attack here and attack here like most of them). The first strategy game (not counting RPGs, that seem to me as subspecies of strategy games) I played was Dune 2000, I learned a lot there. Then I played some unimportant strategy games for mobile (because those were usually the elite between games for mobile, and there was a lot of time for them at school), some other Dune, but didn't really get fond of any of them. Recently, I discovered Brütal Legend, one of the few higher-class games running natively on Linux, it wasn't a perfect example of a strategy game, because it was quite well combined with the hack and slash genre, but I really liked it and it had an awesome story. So my reply will be oriented to this one and Wesnoth.

Like Mindight Carneval, I don't much enjoy maps that are terribly symmetrical and look like perfectly balanced, maybe it is the best comparison of powers with the opponent, but it is also pretty boring (and totally unrealistic). I don't play to be the best.
I also like long corridor maps, because you don't have to fight on three fronts, concentrate on all of them because the enemy can surprise you anywhere, and being ready all the time to concentrate the units to the place where they are currently needed is annoying. Speaking rather of RTS games here, you don't need to hurry in wesnoth.

I can't tell about its effect on my wesnoth skills, because wesnoth is the only turn-based strategy game I have played for a significant amount of time.
Midnight_Carnival

Blarumyrran wrote:That's not much of a question without context for the game in question...
;) good point, well made. You can look at various genre strategy games.

Ok, the rpg/strategy issue seems at first simple but ends up as complicated as the fantasy/sci fi issue in literature. Where would games like Overloard fit into the picture? Also, you can play certain first person shooters extremely strategically (old favorite Battlefield 1942 springs to mind) - then we get :augh: <spitting> "economic strategy games"

I think I should repharase the question slightly: something to the effect of which strategy games (in some undefined way "similar/comparable to Wesnoth" maps do you like and which do you hate and what do you have to say about skills you learnt outside Wesnoth being applicable to Wesnoth and vice versa.

Dugi: we often find ourselves on different sides of issues it seems, and I'm delighted to find some common ground. I've had unstable internet for a while, but circumstances compel me to fix this, hence I'd be equally delighted to engage you in a friendly game of Wesnoth as soon as this is possible! Random coridor shaped map I think would be appropriate.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:I'd be equally delighted to engage you in a friendly game of Wesnoth as soon as this is possible!
Not a problem, but it'll have to be in February, because I have exams and I don't have much time, sometimes I make some breaks from studying, but that would require a many-hours-long break.
Midnight_Carnival

:twisted: :lol: Bwahahahaha! Fool! you do not realise that even as we speak my undead hordes are marching on your position! :mrgreen:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

They are marching into their (final) grave. :evil: