Questions about D&D.

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Naron

Re: Questions about D&D.

Post by Naron »

Dugi, I do not want to create anything in the toolset, just to observe what is behind the scene, because I'm curious by nature :). The programming is beyond of my abilities. The module that I "inspect" is called Darkness over Daggerford. Have you played it?
I chose it because it has an installer that handles everything. I still do not know how to manually install a module in NWN. Maybe because I was accustomed to the add-ons system of Wesnoth.
Regarding the creature, the fact that it was created on the Prime is mentioned in the dialog editor, not in its description, my bad. Specifically, the creature said something like "I was made here".
But then it can not be an outsider, right? This is why I asked here. Perhaps that was a mistake, as you said.
I really hope you do not mind my excessive curiosity.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I haven't played that, but I've seen its name mentioned somewhere.
Manually installing an add-on to NWN isn't so easy, because you have to put its files into their respective folder in the data files (but it's rather like merging its folders with the existing ones, skipping those that already are there).

Regarding your creature: Outsiders can be born in Prime, given that their parents are outsiders (I think that it may still be an outsider if only one of their parents was an outsider). So she's probably just an acclimated direct descendant of outsider parents (or he? I'm just guessing).
Naron

Post by Naron »

OK Dugi, thanks for info. If I will play an evil character in this module, I guess that this creature will smite me :)
Naron

Post by Naron »

Now I have finished the official campaign. It was not easy to fight with Morag, but I managed to beat her and I learned a lot.
I decided to play Darkness over Daggerford with a female paladin as a character, I think it will be fun.
Another question about D&D: I did understand that Hit Die (HD) is equal to the number of levels in a class. I understood correctly? Because, for example, the Mind Shard of Pandorym has 50 HD. That means it's a level 50 psion? :shock:
If so, then its CR is underrated, it should be (much) higher?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

D&D Glossary wrote:In the singular form, a die rolled to generate hit points. In the plural form, a measure of relative power that is synonymous with character level for the sake of spells, magic items, and magical effects that affect a certain number of Hit Dice (HD) of creatures.
So, you're basically right, it is identical to character level. But that's how it is calculated for characters. Monsters don't advance, don't need to mow thousands of orcs, bandits and skeletons to get to level 20. Monsters' HD, feats, defence and other properties don't depend on their class levels or attributes, they're predefined. So that Mind Shard of Pandorym's character level is okay, much of its power doesn't come from its character level, but from its other supernatural abilities (that come with its unique race).

By the way, when I was playing NWN 3 years ago, my character wasn't able slay Morag, I had to continue with the Hordes of the Underdark datadisk (really good campaign, I could not beat the final boss, though), return at level over 30 and slay her (but she was still quite tough).
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Also CR isn't a reflection of the level of the monster as much as what kind of character is an appropriate encounter for (I believe that it is stating that it would be appropriate for a team of 4 level 25 characters).

I would note that this is campaign and setting relevant too. In one of my campaigns, even if you did get a team of level 25 characters this thing would be quite far out of their weight class as most of my settings are relatively low magic and although the characters would be devastatingly powerful relative to the setting they wouldn't really have a way to hurt this thing or the crystal it comes from.

Another thing to note: is that to some extent character growth in D&D are more exponential than linear (especially for spell casters), a level 20 warrior is usually much more powerful than two level 10 warriors (though it's most evident with the lowest level things, 1 level 20 mage is several orders of magnitude more threatening than 40 basic orcs). If suitable gear is available and you're letting your players use splat books and stuff, it seems reasonable to me that a team of level 25 characters who know what they're up against could come up with some way to deal with this creature (though that may not be direct combat).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

You created an add-on for NWN :shock: ? Which one? Where may I get it?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

My D&D campaigns for for pen and paper style play not the computerized versions.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Nevermind, I just hoped that it'll drag me back to one of evergreen games... I have to play the computerised versions, I don't have enough time nor cash nor geeks around me to play pen and paper.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I find paper to be pretty easy on the cash end of things (really all you need are the rules and even then you can do without) but I won't deny the need for time and a good group.
Naron

Post by Naron »

Dugi, you needed a level 30 character to kill Morag? It means that my level 14 paladin was very lucky.
Anyway now I play DoD and I can say that is going well. If I manage to finish it, then I learned NWN pretty well.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Naron wrote:Dugi, you needed a level 30 character to kill Morag? It means that my level 14 paladin was very lucky.
Not necessarily, my character sucked because it was my first character and I was trying to focus on combinations of things that could not work together with haphazard planning (dualwielder fighter/mage obviously wasn't quite viable, but I later managed to make a working build from it).
Naron wrote:Anyway now I play DoD and I can say that is going well. If I manage to finish it, then I learned NWN pretty well.
However, as you will probably discover, D&D was expanded over time, many new classes things and especially prestige classes were added, there are some new feats, some other feats were removed and such. I'd say that there are more possibilities now, making it more interesting, but paladin still seems to me as the best class for singleplayer campaigns.
Naron

Post by Naron »

Ah, I think this is a misunderstanding. DoD is short for Darkness over Daggerford, the module which I spoke. Not for D&D.
I understand that D&D evolves, it is obvious that, since there are several editions (3.0e, 3.5e, 4e, and so on).
About my paladin, the secret is simple: I read what skills and feats are important for this class. That includes your recommendations, so I learned a lot of things. But there is still much to learn, especially because D&D is a moving target, as you said.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Ah, I think this is a misunderstanding. DoD is short for Darkness over Daggerford, the module which I spoke. Not for D&D.
Yes, I wasn't quite sure what did you mean with DoD and thought it was a typo.
About my paladin, the secret is simple: I read what skills and feats are important for this class.
That's what I didn't do back then. I had little idea what was I doing. The only person I could ask was a newbie too, and played with a sorcerer and not a melee character (so he didn't know much). And I wasn't good at looking it up on the internet neither. And followed the rule of cool too much. If you get used to the builds, you'll see the beauty in it (but it might be valid only for me) and make pretty strange things (my last build in NWN2 on level 30 had 60 AC and access to level 9 clerical and level 9 wizardrous spells).
Naron

Post by Naron »

I finished playing Darkness over Daggerford. I can say that is an excellent add-on. It has many quests, some are funny (hint: MRCD :D) and one was dramatic, almost made ​​me cry. :(
And the graphics are better than what I saw in the official campaign.
I think I had to play this add-on from the beginning instead of the official campaign. It's simply immersive.