Bye bye Windows

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Evropi

Re: Bye bye Windows

Post by Evropi »

Anonymissimus wrote:-The complete ubuntu family is generally much more unstable than Debian.
And Debian is mostly made up of ancient, outdated software. The worst thing about them is that Debian's update model doesn't work for every package's release model. The KDE 4.x series for instance has seen a marked reduction in bugs every release. Yet Debian still shipped KDE 4.6 last time I checked, which is far, far more unstable than the current edition (4.11 I believe).

In an open source game project I'm involved in we don't support Debian at all as the dependencies in the stable repository tend to be hopelessly out of date.
Anonymissimus wrote:-Hardware components tend to not work correctly or not at all with much higher probability than with Debian.
Not my experience. As Debian ships with a much older kernel, I actually have to manually download and load the wireless driver, which requires a reboot. Not to mention going to another computer to download it.
Anonymissimus wrote:-Debian is, in its heart and soul, an open source source project, while the ubuntu family is mainly driven by a company.
Open-source software doesn't have to be developed by non-profits. Statements like these are the reasons Linux will never succeed on the desktop.
I am the maintainer of Temples of the nagas, the greatest 4-player co-op survival scenario in the universe!
tagnostic

Post by tagnostic »

used Ubuntu for years, loved it until they got rid of gnome
turned my frankendell into an ipad
switched to Mint
loving it
not that i don't get bored and play
OS Roulette
dual/triple booting
with different flavors
but the daily driver is mint 13 mate
Cats, Beer & Broadband
Who needs a Life
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Sapient: congrats on leaving the Evil Empire. Like zookeeper, even if I am using Winslows 7 (in conjuction with an Ubuntu VM for Wesnoth), the world seems to become a bit better every time someone ditches Windows.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on December 21st, 2017, 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Okay, guys, enough of the Windows hate now. You make it look as if it was created by the devil or something. It is a valid, good operating system which many people like to use. If you don't like it, great; but please don't flame it. That's not the tone I know from these forums.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on December 21st, 2017, 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Crendgrim wrote:Okay, guys, enough of the Windows hate now. You make it look as if it was created by the devil or something. It is a valid, good operating system which many people like to use. If you don't like it, great; but please don't flame it. That's not the tone I know from these forums.
I point you toward Poe's Law. I don't think Blarumyrran is serious...
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

sur.nhm wrote:
Crendgrim wrote:Okay, guys, enough of the Windows hate now. You make it look as if it was created by the devil or something. It is a valid, good operating system which many people like to use. If you don't like it, great; but please don't flame it. That's not the tone I know from these forums.
I point you toward Poe's Law. I don't think Blarumyrran is serious...
Salvador Dalí wrote: It is not necessary for the public to know whether I am joking or whether I am serious, just as it is not necessary for me to know it myself.