Thinking up names

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dunno

Thinking up names

Post by Dunno »

No, seriously, am I the only one who struggles to think up original names? I've really tried for a long time, but recently I just gave up and I copy names from /core/macros/names.cfg. I also tried typing random letters and then adding vowels, but that always left me unsatisfied. Anyone else has some ideas they'd like to share?
I made this graph for this topic, and apparently it made it to the frontpage...
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Thinking up names

Post by Sapient »

There are some fantasy name generators online. What I would do is, take a whole afternoon and just keep cycling through the name generators. Whenever I found one that sounded cool, I would write it down and modify it a little, then add it to a text file that I save for such purposes. Also whenever I am studying a foreign language, like Greek or Hebrew which I sometimes use during my bible research, I will write down any cool-sounding words along with their definitions. So next time I am writing a story and need a good fantasy name, I just open the text file and take one off the list.

One time I was playing a very directionless Dungeons and Dragons campaign, and the GM was horrible at coming up with names on the spot. So whenever he needed a new name and he was taking too long, I would just roll a D20 and take some syllables out of the number and turn it into a person or location's name. We actually came up with some very memorable results that way, and it added some humor to the campaign. :lol2:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

When I was to make up first names, I called the main three characters after four names I thought to sound cool from four (unrelated) stories (with no relation between each other), a bit changing the spelling. Then I named one Argan (without knowing about Shadowmaster's work) and questions came, Is it the same Argan as in IftU?, I had to ask Shadowmaster what does he suggest (after having played IftU). Then I made up a few names, either from some words that described them (elvish sorceress and later super necromancer Lethalia) or just by hitting the keyboard and then editing it to be pronounceable. Later, I started giving most less important characters funny names, usually with relations to some existing things, mostly in other languages (I named a necromancer Mal, and because it means Evil or Bad in french, I named another necromancer in that scenario Mauvais, that is a synonym; or I named an evil general Zelyezin, that would be Железин in Russian, a reference to Stalin, as стал/stal means steel and железо/zelyezo means iron). By the end, I gave it up totally, using the game's random name generator (generate_name=yes) to generate names even for important characters (using simply ids to refer to them, like scenario4_ally), but it also came to naming demons, first I used a half of demons mentioned in christian stuff and then I made a list of names for a random name generator also for demons.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

I usually use the wesnoth generator until I find something that sounds good.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I got a few name generators bookmarked (some also do place names, ship names, etc):

http://rinkworks.com/namegen/
http://www.squid.org/rpg-random-generator
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-name.php
http://www.mythosa.net/rpggen/

I usually just browse lots of names until I find some which are good and either use them as such or modify them slightly.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I agree that I have a problem with making up names, most characters in my UMC have either randomly generated or overly descriptive name. I usually rely on the Wesnoth's random name generator, at least sometimes I've playtested a new scenario with generate_name=yes in description of some enemies, then I noted the randomly generated name in the .cfg files. For other names in my UMC (spoiler for those who didn't play it):
Spoiler:
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Every time I start a project.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Your saving grace is you can always change your characters’ names, just like you can change their stats. So if you aren’t fully satisfied, or if you are still trying it out, you don’t have to commit to it forever.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

A dirty little secret: http://www.amethyst-night.com/names/index.html

Scottish/Irish names are a good place to start, where else can you find real names like Dubhghlas, Raghnall and Scrymgeour? :geek:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

One trick that I employ is taking an existing word/name and spelling it backwards. Naturally most of the time that result will require some tweaking to get it to a readable (or even pronounceable) form, but it can often give you an excellent starting point. I also try to look at words from other countries and cultures, since that can help you diversify your name choices.

Another consideration is the kind of culture/development the character you're naming is from. For instance, the elves might have much lighter, more vowel-oriented names, while the dwarves might have heavier, and more consonant-oriented names, etc. You can see the same thing in real-world languages, i.e. French and German. In fact, you could even try and find a real-world culture/language that is similar to the culture you want to create, and base the names/language on that. This 'separation of cultures based on language/spelling/sound' can distinguish the two races/cultures and adds a subtle element of reality that IMO really helps sell your setting to the reader.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I usually try to identify a few defining characteristics for the place/character I am trying to name, then pick a name with a related meaning, either from real names, words in other languages, mythology, etc.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

I'm simply unable to come up with normal names most of the time. I tend to either go hunting in a foreign language's dictionary, or use a random name generator. That said, every time I encounter a name which is a cool-sounding Hebrew word, I tend to have uncontrollable giggle fits, because people tend to choose... unfortunate words. Like that company called Tsumi (which is slang for attention in Hebrew and 'sin' in Japanese).
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.