Your ageless favorite lv1 units and reassons.

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IPS

Your ageless favorite lv1 units and reassons.

Post by IPS »

I have created this topic in order to we talk about these units that we find fun to play with and the reassons why we do think these units are the most funny. This topic is NOT about what unit is the best or not or why that stuff. Your explanation may be shorter or a way too long.

Appart of this, we can talk shortly about of our favoirte units in default era and why they are so fun to own in your army.

I will start talking about my favorite units at default and then with the ageless ones.

- Loyalist Bowman: they are an humble ranged atacker unit. Nothing special for most people and a way too underrated at it role because of not being special offensively. I enjoy playing with this unit a way too much because they are a cheap ranged atacker with high durability at regular to bad terrains. They aren't heavy artillery like the dark adepts, but I enjoy playing more with bowmen than with Dark Adepts even if that I recognize that Dark adepts are potentially a better unit than bowmen.
- Loyalist Calvaryman: Injustly underrated before it's nerf, then nerfed a way too harsh, lowering it as a stat that is lowly inferior than a standard scout. Calvaryman is no longer special for most people, but I love playing with these units because they are one of the fewer untis that can move much and can be offensively escential for a faction like the loyalist faction because of being the principal blade based atacker in this faction. The reasson why I love these units a way too much is because the range of harass of these units is high, appart of being very durable even with the nerf of -4 max health.
- Gobling spearman: the only unit that I really like of the northerner faction. They are funny for me because they hit too hard for their price but they too fast aswell... I find that extreme disbalance of health and offensive a way fun, appart of being a really cheap unit.
- Dwarvish Thunderer: another ranged atacker that is on my list of funny units to play with. Potentially the main reasson that I love that ranged atacker is mostly for it's all or nothing at ranged atack and their high durability at hills/montains and kinda good mele counter atack, making them a very unit anoying unit to fight againist if used rightly. Sadly this unit is played a way too bad for many players and then underrated because of being played a way too bad.

Notice that my really favorites lv1 units because of their stats are the dwarvish fighters, Dark adepts, Drake burners, Loyalist spearmen, but they aren't that fun to play as these I described before.

Not from default favorite units

- Invader [Extended Era]: I find a way fun playing with this unit because they are a way too badass with that 8-3 blade atack for only 15 coins. Their name is rightly set to these units because of being a really harsh to fight againist unit at night time with 10-3 or 11-3 mele strikes. Appart that I enjoy a way too much their animation when they do hit anything.
- Devling Nailers [Era of Myths]: Mixes the funny stuff the goblings at being very fragible but really dangerous and the one from the thunderers of all or nothing in their damage. Obviusly, this mix of these 2 elements make of this unit a way TOO atractive for me, making it probably my favorite unit in the whole ageless era.
- Feyborn [Yaokai]: Unique range atacker unit. Magical ranged atack unit that deals 6-3 blade magical damage, 60% defense at forest and no mele counter atacks, things that defines it as a unique unit at it's role. I like them a way too much because of being a really exotic unit in the whole ageless era and because I like it's mixes of stats aswell.
- Floating Swords [Mercenaries]: these scouting unit are extremelly durable if used to fight againist a faction like Knalgan Dwarves that doesn't have just physical based damage (blade, pierce and impact). For the ones that doesn't know this unit, it's a 23 hp unit with 70% ressistance to blade, pierce and impact, 50% to cold but 0% to fire and -20% to arcane, being countered for non cold magical atack units, appart of having 7 (if I'm right) movement. This is another contrast of stats that makes me to love this unit aswell, offensivelly matches well with other scouting units (4-4 from a floating sword vs 6-3 from loyalist calvary, it's a fair comparation).

Well... it's now your turn to talk about these units that you find a way too fun to recruit and play with, I find interesting to talk about this ^^
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
TheScribe

Re: Your ageless favorite lv1 units and reassons.

Post by TheScribe »

Well, for 'fun' units I like the thunderer, mainly because it's so satisfying to watch the animation when they hit. :twisted:
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

The "funny"est unit would have to be the Ulfserker, when it is attacking Dark Adepts. :lol2:

I think one of my favorite units is the Orcish Archer, they're cool, strong, and are multi-purpose.

I also love Drake Enforcers/Thrashers because of their awesome ram horns, and of course everyone knows I love the Saurians :P
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Zombies. I mean, the moment when you zombify a key enemy unit is just priceless :twisted:
Other than that, dark adepts. I can't help yelling out "ZAP ZAP, @$&@#!!!" when I take down a drake with one double-hit. Needless to say, undead are the most fun for me :D
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

My favorite unit is the Thief because Backstab is the best ability! I wish all attacks on all units had backstab.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I should probably mention that I don't play multiplayer and I haven't played many UMCs (I mostly just replay the mainline campaigns and my UMc), but the OP mentioned that this is more about fun than skill, so I'll share my thoughts anyway.
As far as my tastes go, I prefer easy to hit, but durable units (e.g. Heavy Infantryman) to those hard to hit, but fragile (e.g. Fencer). Using the latter seems more dependant on the RNG, because they have big chance to avoid being hit, but if they get hit, they go down fast. Meanwhile with the durable units the best case scenario is the same (not being hit), just less probable and the worst case scenario is just few scratches compared to what would the same attack do to an evasive unit. As someone who likes his units not being dead 100% chance that my unit will survive (with variable amount of health) seems better than 60% to survive unscathed and 40% chance of dying.
Now for some individual units:
  • Mage - another reason for durability being better than evasion as magic attack ignore the latter. Magi are important in campaigns because 1) they are often only way for a loaylist army to get healers (unless you can also recruit Elvish Shamans etc. like in HttT) and unlike most other healers White Magi can deal decent damage 2) almost every campaign has undead enemies at some point and magi are excellent at killing them.
  • Cavalryman - as explained above I like durable units and it extends to scouts too. These guys might be worse at scouting than scouts of other factions (as they get slowed on almost anything that isn't pavement) and are vulnerable to pointy sticks, but they are also resistant to multiple damage types and capable of dealing more damage than most other scouts. I like the versatility of a unit that can both scout and fight decently.
  • Ghost - here I might be influenced by recently replaying DiD, where it's advisable to level up them as soon as you can, so you can assasinate enemy leaders with your Shadows. That said it's another example of a versatile scout as it can heal itself by attacking (and even has a weak ranged attack). I recruited many of them and tried to have balanced amout of both upgrades (Shadows for assasinations, Wraiths for versatility). Just keep it away from fire and arcane attacks (and that's true for other undead units as well).
My favorite unit is the Thief because Backstab is the best ability! I wish all attacks on all units had backstab.

But if all units had backstab, then the thief would be really bad unit as backstabing is all s/he does! :D
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Telchin wrote:But if all units had backstab, then the thief would be really bad unit as backstabing is all s/he does! :D
little do you realize that if all units had backstab then they would all have a bit of Thief inside them! The Thief would be spread all over them, like a virus!
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

The best thing to do in my opinion would be to give +50% damage on backstab to most units and +150% to the thief line, but, again, that's just IMO.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I think Shadow is the best Backstab unit! It can also turn invisible.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

I forgot about the Shadow, but yeah, it's awesome.