Wesnoth Deadliest Warrior

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gooby

Wesnoth Deadliest Warrior

Post by gooby »

I'm surprised no one has had this idea before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadliest_Warrior
Deadliest Warrior was a television program in which information on historical or modern warriors and their weapons are used to determine which of them is the "deadliest" based upon tests performed during each episode. The show was characterized by its use of data compiled in creating a dramatization of the warriors' battle to the death.
The show's appeal was pitting strange, frequently anachronistic combinations of warriors against each other. E.g. Waffen-SS vs. Vietcong, Knight vs. Pirate, Aztec vs. Zande...

The thing I didn't like about that show was that none of the details about the computer model were known and the model obviously couldn't be empirically tested.

However, in Wesnoth Deadliest Warrior the computer model IS the reality and no blood is shed, so this problem disappears completely.

We could really go crazy with this idea. One on one or small teams vs. each other, varied terrain for the battleground, etc. "Fugitive vs. Troll Warrior: who is deadliest?" ...

Does anyone else like this idea?
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Wesnoth Deadliest Warrior

Post by doofus-01 »

I think there would need to be more settings for this to work. Right now, we can't have anything approaching Viet Cong vs. Aztec, just "Tolkien Fantasy" vs "Tolkien Fantasy w/ Sand" or "Tolkien Fantasy" vs "Half-assed-Confusing-Setting-WIP". I'd love to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's where things stand.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
gooby

Post by gooby »

doofus-01 wrote:I think there would need to be more settings for this to work. Right now, we can't have anything approaching Viet Cong vs. Aztec, just "Tolkien Fantasy" vs "Tolkien Fantasy w/ Sand" or "Tolkien Fantasy" vs "Half-assed-Confusing-Setting-WIP". I'd love to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's where things stand.
We have other units, like the Lavinians (obviously Roman).
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I believe there was an era where each player got only one unit type, but it's probably not maintained anymore. Also, Wesnoth faction balance is faction against faction in the same Era, not a unit against unit, so some match-ups would be foregone conclusions (most notably DA vs. Ulf), despite the loser unit being great in other match-ups. Another problem (that was already touched upon by doofus-01) is that the the default era is pretty standard Tolkienesque fantasy and units from different eras might be unfinished or unbalanced (even if they are balanced against units from their Era, they might be unbalanced compared to units from different eras).
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that most of the UMC factions could take anything that the mainline Tolkienesque factions could throw at them. Most of them are pretty powerful compared to balanced mainline.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.