So... about SOPA...

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

So... about SOPA...

Post by Gambit »

Shall I go around locking all the threads today for wesnoth.org's blackout? :lol2:
No, but seriously. I've been asked to spread this around. http://www.screwattack.com/StandTogether

The Electronic Software Association is perceived as representing the gaming industry. And despite most of their members publicly denouncing SOPA, the ESA are still lobbying in favor of it. In response, we all need to not give a :evil: :twisted: :wink: :twisted: about this year's E3. I suspect many of you already qualify. Don't google search it. Don't watch it. Don't talk about it (oops). Don't watch youtube videos about it. And ask all the "gamers" you know to do the same.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: So... about SOPA...

Post by Pentarctagon »

99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I still have trouble taking SOPA and PIPA seriously because the latter is a pretty vulgar word in Polish :lol2:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

In Spanish:
  • Sopa: Soup.
  • Pipa: Pipe (for smoking).
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Whenever I see SOPA and PIPA I can't help thinking of sopapilla (which is interesting, since I've never actually eaten one :P ), and the Chinese instrument called the 'pipa'. Vuagely similar to a lute, IIRC.

I for one don't give a :evil: :twisted: :wink: :twisted: about E3 this year.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

oh dude, this wont lasts long! lt is just a short period of protest. wiki is not going to fight against a law that is unseemingly to change so dauntlessly. l think few weeks later everything will work as usual.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

AxalaraFlame wrote:oh dude, this wont lasts long! lt is just a short period of protest. wiki is not going to fight against a law that is unseemingly to change so dauntlessly. l think few weeks later everything will work as usual.
Wikipedia is 'blacking out' in the US for today only. But wikipedia is fighting and will continue to fight SOPA/PIPA (not necessarily by continuing the blackout), since it infringes on just about everything Wikipedia stands for... free and unbiased (to the extent that such a thing is possible) knowledge. And with other heavyweights like Google, Twitter and Facebook (to name a few) batting against the bills and spreading the word of what these billls would do to the internet and freedom of speech if passed, I'm hoping that the bills will be defeated in the end.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

I didn't know about SOPA and PIPA until I saw Wikipedia's “We'll be shutting down in X hours over this” banner. So I clicked “Learn More” and learned more. So Wikipedia's blackout worked in that it raised my awareness. But it didn't work in that it a) made me annoyed at Wikipedia and b) didn't make me annoyed at SOPA and PIPA. I tend to pay heed to an opinion proportional to the quantity of dissenting opinions. I have seen many opinions opining that SOPA and PIPA will fatally damage the free and open Internet et cetera, and not a single dissenting opinion. Thus I can't help but feel that I'm not getting the whole story; that I'm only being given half the pieces to the puzzle; that I'm being force-fed one side's propaganda; even that that side is hypocritically censoring the other sides' propaganda. I think I still don't know about SOPA and PIPA.

Also, what are the [acronym=What other kinds do we have?]Electronic[/acronym] Software Association and E3? I'd look them up on Wikipedia, but....
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Courtesy of Wikipedia, reflexes, and keys CTRL, C and V:
There is no dissenting opinions because NOONE thinks it is good idea. Noone. It's not good mean of fighting piracy, it's censorship. It's either one big mistake or one big smokescreen trying to divert peoples attention from something other.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

8680 wrote:I didn't know about SOPA and PIPA until I saw Wikipedia's “We'll be shutting down in X hours over this” banner. So I clicked “Learn More” and learned more. So Wikipedia's blackout worked in that it raised my awareness. But it didn't work in that it a) made me annoyed at Wikipedia and b) didn't make me annoyed at SOPA and PIPA. I tend to pay heed to an opinion proportional to the quantity of dissenting opinions. I have seen many opinions opining that SOPA and PIPA will fatally damage the free and open Internet et cetera, and not a single dissenting opinion. Thus I can't help but feel that I'm not getting the whole story; that I'm only being given half the pieces to the puzzle; that I'm being force-fed one side's propaganda; even that that side is hypocritically censoring the other sides' propaganda. I think I still don't know about SOPA and PIPA.
However, Wikipedia does supply you with the information to make your own informed, independent decision by just reading the bills themselves without any interference from outside sources:
On [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Learn_more]Wikipedia's Learn More About SOPA/PIPA Page[/url] someone wrote:What are SOPA and PIPA?
SOPA and PIPA represent two bills in the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate respectively. SOPA is short for the "Stop Online Piracy Act," and PIPA is an acronym for the "Protect IP Act." ("IP" stands for "intellectual property.") In short, these bills are efforts to stop copyright infringement committed by foreign web sites, but, in our opinion, they do so in a way that actually infringes free expression while harming the Internet. Detailed information about these bills can be found in the url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act]Stop Online Piracy Act[/url] and PROTECT IP Act articles on Wikipedia, which are available during the blackout. GovTrack lets you follow both bills through the legislative process: SOPA on this page, and PIPA on this one. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to advocating for the public interest in the digital realm, has summarized why these bills are simply unacceptable in a world that values an open, secure, and free Internet.
In other words, if you want to read just the bills for yourself, without any outside bias, comments, etc., you can read and track SOPA here: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-3261 and PIPA here: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s112-968

Just scroll down to the "Bill Overview" section and click "Full Text" to read the full bill in its entirety.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

To hell with wiki, almost every open source project would have to shut down. Imagine that one troll making a Lord of the Rings era could provoke a disciplinary action against Wesnoth administrators. Maybe even using the name Lord of the Rings without tradmarks and all that stuff will cause disciplinary actions :shock:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Dunno wrote:To hell with wiki, almost every open source project would have to shut down. Imagine that one troll making a Lord of the Rings era could provoke a disciplinary action against Wesnoth administrators. Maybe even using the name Lord of the Rings without tradmarks and all that stuff will cause disciplinary actions :shock:
I assure you, I for one won’t go down without putting up a hell of a fight!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

shadowmaster wrote:I assure you, I for one won’t go down without putting up a hell of a fight!
Spoiler:
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Love it, artisticdude. Love. It.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

8)