What Operating System do You Use?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alexanderthegre

Re: What Operating System do You Use?

Post by alexanderthegre »

perseo wrote:Ubuntu with gnome interface. I don't like unity so I still use lucid lynx.
¡Salud!
whoa. old. I use ubuntu 11.10. IIRC, there's some fancy way to turn of Unity, haven't tested it myself, as I never used Gnome (11.04 was the earliest version I used) and have no desire to change desktop interfaces, but, supposedly you can change it if you want to.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Slight update on my part. I purchased a copy of Parallels 7 a while back, and over the past six months I've been trying out a lot of various Linux distros as virtual machines running on top of OS X as the host OS. (And then of course there's the obligatory copy of MS Windows, which I use mainly for development work and running a few non-resource-intensive games.) I've never really gotten into Linux before this, and I'm finding that I actually like it a lot more than I thought I would. Especially since Linux and OS X share the same UNIX roots, which means I don't have to relearn all the terminal commands. That's a huge plus from my vantage point. I still haven't decided which linux distro(s) I like best, so I'm pretty much trying them all.

Oh yes, and GNOME 3 sucks. As does Unity.
Spoiler:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I use Ubuntu 11.10. And I don't think that Unity sucks. It is hard to get used to it, but once you get into it, it is much better. You just hit Super, write two-three letters and you have activated what you wanted. Although that side panel annoys sometimes, I got so used to it that I have set it to look so on Windows as well.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Dual Booting Windows 7 and Linux (Fedora).

When it comes to programming, I stick with windows because I don't know linux well enough to program. Sure, I can program in C++ and whatnot but I just prefer windows when I program. (IDK why. I just do.) As for compiling... I am the opposite... I cannot stand compiling things in windows... It's a pain... Let me explain...

Tried to compile Stepmania from source on windows. Took me about a month just to figure it out... (Seriously, I hate compiling stuff in windows.)
Tried in linux (Fedora) and it only took me like... 10-20 minutes? It was too easy... LOL...

edit: Yes, I have compiled wesnoth from source once before too. ;)

I am just an average user of computers most of the time. (Except when I program.) So, windows suits my needs well. Sure, it does bug me at times because how annoying it is. Although, I just get over it and move on. When I use linux, I just mess around mostly and try to learn stuff. (but i rarely use it as much anymore... I should get on it real quick and learn more stuff.) Anyway, I'll end my post here. :P

edit: gets on linux/fedora.

~ SpoOkyMagician
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

dugi wrote: I use Ubuntu 11.10. And I don't think that Unity sucks. It is hard to get used to it, but once you get into it, it is much better. You just hit Super, write two-three letters and you have activated what you wanted. Although that side panel annoys sometimes, I got so used to it that I have set it to look so on Windows as well.
Hm, well I guess it's a matter of taste, but IMO the drop-down menus in Gnome classic were superior as far as usability, especially in my case since I don't always remember the name of the application I'm searching for. The launcher is some nice eyecandy, but after using it for a while I've begun to feel that its purported usefulness is overrated. Give me my tertiary desktop panel crammed with launchers in Gnome classic any day. :P

Regarding Gnome 3, I've read that is "still under heavy development" and that it "hasn't matured into a full product yet" and so on, so I'm not writing Gnome 3 off yet. I just don't think it's as competent as its predecessor yet.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

artisticdude wrote:I've never really gotten into Linux before this, and I'm finding that I actually like it a lot more than I thought I would. Especially since Linux and OS X share the same UNIX roots, which means I don't have to relearn all the terminal commands. That's a huge plus from my vantage point. I still haven't decided which linux distro(s) I like best, so I'm pretty much trying them all.

Oh yes, and GNOME 3 sucks. As does Unity.
YES! I love it when people say they are liking linux. Love it. I just started using Debian Squeeze on one of my machines, I love it. It's got a usable interface (Gnome Classic) and APT, and all the configuration tools I used to use...

I'm also getting interested (kind of) in OS X. I've gotten into design lately, and it's supposed to be good for that.
Timshel
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

uncleshelby wrote:I'm also getting interested (kind of) in OS X. I've gotten into design lately, and it's supposed to be good for that.
Windows has been actually getting better in that department, but I think OS X still leads there. I just find it much easier, as an artist, to operate with OS X rather than Windows. Quicklook, Preview, and Expose (which is called "Mission Control" or something similar as of OS X 10.7+, IIRC) are especially handy features that I really miss when I log into Windows. I also get fewer freezes and better versioning support with OS X, in my experience.
perseo

Post by perseo »

Well, after installing precise pangolin I would say that I used to use ubuntu, now I'll have to look for other version of linux coz I'm very disappointed with the direction of the latest improvements in ubuntu, I think they haven't understood yet that the future of OS is to take more advantage of the hardware instead of consuming lot of energy and using the 35% of your computer in order to make some awful graphics.
See ya!
Wow! Now I'm more relaxed after criticising ubuntu developers.
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

The standard ubuntu isn't the only version out there, I installed xubuntu and am loving it, it's nice and light with a lot of customization, while at the same time having access to the ubuntu repos. It seems to use about as much RAM as gnome2- 800MB now with FF, evolution, and pidgin open on a 64bit system. I feel as though the cpu load is less too.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

Crow_T wrote:The standard ubuntu isn't the only version out there, I installed xubuntu and am loving it, it's nice and light with a lot of customization, while at the same time having access to the ubuntu repos. It seems to use about as much RAM as gnome2- 800MB now with FF, evolution, and pidgin open on a 64bit system. I feel as though the cpu load is less too.
I'm using Xubuntu as well! 12.04 LTS 64-bit. I do have a good machine, so I don't really need a lightweight desktop environment like XFCE, but I used to have a really horrible one, so it was the best choice. Now I just keep it around because I like XFCE. I've tried GNOME2 (which I think is cool, but it's no longer being developed), GNOME3, KDE, and MATE.

The repos are also very easy to work with.