Post your favorite boardgame!

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Araja

Re: Post your favorite boardgame!

Post by Araja »

Neither of those, I don't think it has a unique name. After some time on Google Images...
This one. (Also the longest URL I've ever seen) I used to spent all day making up scenarios for this, a practice which has stopped since the advent of Wesnoth.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Woh, that's old.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
vodot

Post by vodot »

Anybody else like Dixit?

Some other favorites I didn't see here:
Descent: Journeys in the Dark?
Agricola?
Powergrid?
Pandemic?
MtG?
Werewolf/Mafia? ok... not a 'board game'

And finally, dare I say: Axis and Allies?

EDIT: Oh, and: Shameless Plug!
Last edited by vodot on November 1st, 2011, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enchilado

Post by enchilado »

I play a fair amount of an IRC version of Werewolf, and it's surprisingly possible to read people even though it's just text. I'd still like to try it IRL, though; I imagine it would be quite different.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Powergrid's pretty cool.

Should be playing the new one (first spark?) tomorrow, if all goes well, a friend is hoping to bring it back from Essen.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Heroscape is really fun. The setup and cleanup times are insane though which stops me from playing often.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Gambit wrote:Heroscape is really fun. The setup and cleanup times are insane though which stops me from playing often.
I love(d?) Heroscape. I think it's been discontinued by Hasbro now though. :( And yeah, setup and cleanup times can get really long. And then there was that lousy old 20-sided die that kept getting lost. I seriously love 20-sided dice. ^_^
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
powershot

Post by powershot »

Catan. Really awesome.Wesnoth
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
vodot

Post by vodot »

enchilado wrote:I play a fair amount of an IRC version of Werewolf, and it's surprisingly possible to read people even though it's just text. I'd still like to try it IRL, though; I imagine it would be quite different.
Ah, simultaneously my most and least favorite party game. I have a love/hate relationship with narrating Werewolf/Mafia; I love making people laugh/think (this game is perfect for me!), but I also love balance and critical thinking (this game is terrible for me!)... watching people make horrible, critical, repeated mistakes is almost unbearable.

Still, fun times. IRL allows for much more complex strategy and player misdirection.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

vodot wrote:watching people make horrible, critical, repeated mistakes is almost unbearable.
Ugh. The worst part of that game. The stupidity of the majority drags you down so many times! In order to keep alive you not only have to be smart enough to figure out who the killers are, but enough of a leader/persuader to get other people to follow you.
vodot

Post by vodot »

Insinuator wrote:Ugh. The worst part of that game. The stupidity of the majority drags you down so many times! In order to keep alive you not only have to be smart enough to figure out who the killers are, but enough of a leader/persuader to get other people to follow you.
Anybody else ever been sitting through corporate "leadership" training and thought to yourself: "Playing Mafia would be infinitely more instructive than this"?

Great example of how to exercise practical leadership (and good followership, for that matter), without getting yourself 'thrown under the bus'.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I prefer boardgames that are keeping it simple. I remember someone took a picture of me during one of those fantasy conventions when I was playing checkers with my friend. It was funny because we didn't have the checkers, so we've drawn a board on the ground with a stone and used leaves and sticks as pawns. We did that because we couldn't find a game you could just sit down and play, without spending 2 hours for getting to know the rules.

Anyway, my favorite boardgame is Doom the Boardgame. It is simple and, most importantly, fully customizable. You can make your own maps and modify the gameplay (you can play deathmatch, campaign, survival, team deathmatch, deathmatch with monsters, RPG and even a TBS). Creating a scenario is fun itself, as every wesnothian knows :wink:

P.S: you can also play king of the hill, capture the flag... literally everything
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I like Checkers or Draughts, (whichever term is correct).
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Gragorak

Post by Gragorak »

I think Talisman and Descent are the best boardgames ever.
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

I played snakes and ladders today, was pretty fantastic, full of complex strategy and decision making, just suiting for me.
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.