Obi Wan Kenobi is Dead

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Obi Wan Kenobi is Dead

Post by Gambit »

Obi Wan Kenobi is dead and the Empire does not have his body. Lord Vader gave a speech about it some days ago. Apparently Kenobi was killed near Aldaraan after a firefight with Imperial soldiers. Here's a link to the story:

Galactic Empire Times

Now, what I want to know is why they won't release photos of the body, and why they dumped him out an airlock? It seems kind of suspicious.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Obi Wan Kenobi is Dead

Post by Sapient »

I thought the comments were funnier than the actual article.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

This is not something one should joke about :|
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

On the contrary. I think light heartedness would be the best way to defy the rebel scum. To show them that their ridiculous hypocritical ways will not work in the long run. They masquerade as members of the Jedi religion, but at the same time violate everything that true Jedi and followers of the Force would stand for. In fact, these lowlifes actually managed to make the galaxy fear regular, peace-loving Jedi.

I have no problems laughing in their faces. Given the chance, they'd have a blaster or thermal detonator in mine.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Dunno wrote:This is not something one should joke about :|
To be honest I felt a little offended at first to have my nation and president compared to the evil empire, Darth Vader, etc. But it is useful as an exercise in critical thinking. Would you blindly support the actions of your own nation, no matter how corrupt or evil its leaders had become? Of course, after thinking about it rationally, you realize how absurd some of the comparisons are. But the superficial similarity is humorous.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Gambit wrote:On the contrary. I think light heartedness would be the best way to defy the rebel scum. To show them that their ridiculous hypocritical ways will not work in the long run. They masquerade as members of the Jedi religion, but at the same time violate everything that true Jedi and followers of the Force would stand for. In fact, these lowlifes actually managed to make the galaxy fear regular, peace-loving Jedi.

I have no problems laughing in their faces. Given the chance, they'd have a blaster or thermal detonator in mine.
Eh heh. Heh.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Araja

Post by Araja »

I think that clever parody is the best form of criticism. It can make a serious point whilst also being lighthearted, and be thought-provoking even though reading it makes you smile. Infact, being humorous makes it much more palatable. I've been paying little to no attention to the manhunt and its recent end (or news in general), but I still found this a clever and funny article. Chances of me reading a "serious" document on this? Slim to none.

It's either a serious subject, simple comedy or whichever mixture of the two seems right. Entirely open to audience interpretation, and has value either way. In a some regards, it makes the point better than any serious document could, due entirely to how easy it is for everyone to understand, and it being clever and funny enough that you show it friends and family. I'm sure I'm not the only one planning on doing just that.

:)
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I becomed tired of find "osama..." thread in new post, I had none interest so never lloked it. But I had a very fun moment reading this thread title: thanks :)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Araja wrote:...what he said...
+1
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7Ha3VDbzE&NR=

This is related, as it is a Star Wars "version" of 9/11. I normally think collegehumor is pretty stupid but this one was actually a pretty clever satire...
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Crushmaster wrote: Eh heh. Heh.
Well hey. It's just like how we don't blame the entire Sith for what happened to the younglings in the Jedi temple, or in Olympic Park, or the anti-Jedi crusades from the Old Republic Era. Dirt bags like Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan don't actually follow Jedi-ism. It's just a tool to them.

I really liked that video for its reference to http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... hipAcademy
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Because I'm curious, and because I don't seem to know how to sift through what I find with Google, does anyone know who is behind the Galactic Empire Times? I see New York Times has a script running there, are they behind it?
If yes...:
If no...:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

doofus-01 wrote:Because I'm curious, and because I don't seem to know how to sift through what I find with Google, does anyone know who is behind the Galactic Empire Times? I see New York Times has a script running there, are they behind it?
This Robert, a feelance artist, is claiming credit and the domain is registered to him, so unless he was commissioned to do it, he's the one responsible.
http://robertscottart.com/