The History of Wesnoth Forums

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

atomicbomb

The History of Wesnoth Forums

Post by atomicbomb »

Hello

Since first time I joined, I felt some difference in this forum. Compared to another forums, Wesnoth forums is really a fun and interesting place, place where people develop a great game and have fun together.

I just got an interesting idea to make an UMC based on this Forum's history. But, before I start to write the story I want to know some history of this forum since it's created (List of events, Key People, etc). Can you help me, guys?

Thanks
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
Reepurr

Re: The History of Wesnoth Forums

Post by Reepurr »

Here's an important slice of 2006 history: danny_california. Continuous battles with Maeglin Dubh, continuous prattiness, continuous getting-on-people's-nerves. Oh yes, and don't call him by his forum name. It is imperative you call him Tristan, otherwise he'll ignore you. :roll:
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

Reepurr wrote:Here's an important slice of 2006 history: danny_california. Continuous battles with Maeglin Dubh, continuous prattiness, continuous getting-on-people's-nerves. Oh yes, and don't call him by his forum name. It is imperative you call him Tristan, otherwise he'll ignore you. :roll:
That's cool... But I heard that there's a forum crash or something like global event that ever happened in forum. I planned to make a forum world, the land of Irdyan Gods. So I need some big event.

And I need list of key people(former forum lead admin, funny/crazy mods, or interestng people)
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Some other notable events/themes in forum history that are possibly funny or interesting enough for inclusion in a campaign, in no particular order:

* Creation of clans such as the No Fog Club and the N3T Clan
* Neoriceisgood dresses the new Troll sprite in a tutu
* Higher Game notes that Northerners lack "BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA"
* BIG_LIZARD_PWNZ challenges various persons to duels
* Cuyo Quiz develops the talent of getting any thread locked with a single post
* A holy war occurs over renaming "holy"
* The reign of the Forum Emperor and the Forum Sith
* JW loses his peanut butter

(and yes I spent way too much time on here :p)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Ah.... so many memories... *sobbs*

* A forum sith ruling with an iron fist, then disappearing and being missed.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

Thanks sapient!
Forum sith and emperor? Who are they? Are they Two guys with T initial?

@dixie,Thanks, thats really funny, but I need something more global for storyline

and I need some crazy and funny forum member with great and unique characteristics for antagonist team
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Actually, I the funniest Higher Gamer moment was him admitting in a guide he wrote that people were critqueing that he only won 30% (or was it 40) of his games against the AI and claiming that he thought that was pretty good considering how good Wesnoths AI was. This was several years ago when the AI was even more suidical that it is now.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

atomicbomb wrote:Thanks sapient!
Forum sith and emperor? Who are they? Are they Two guys with T initial?
The forum moderators used to be called Forum Sith.
These would include irrevenant, Maeglin Dubh, and Thrawn.
Then came Turuk the "Forum Emperor."
atomicbomb wrote:I need some crazy and funny forum member with great and unique characteristics for antagonist team
Well you could say that the Sith are out to lock all the threads in the forum to prevent players from learning about the dark secrets of the RNG. Alternatively, you could have the banned people like danny_california (or others with locked/crazy threads) be the antagonists and paint the mods as more benevolent. But... I think it will be funnier if the crazies are the heroes.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

atomicbomb wrote: and I need some crazy and funny forum member with great and unique characteristics for antagonist team
Pick shadowmaster or I will lock this thread.

In all seriousness (okay half seriousness) suggestions: please do make the developers the bad guys as so many hilarious people have been want to believe. The moderators are merely their flying monkies who spread terror over the different forums which could be represented as towns. Each with their own problems and story.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Gambit wrote:
atomicbomb wrote: and I need some crazy and funny forum member with great and unique characteristics for antagonist team
Pick shadowmaster or I will lock this thread.

In all seriousness (okay half seriousness) suggestions: please do make the developers the bad guys as so many hilarious people have been want to believe. The moderators are merely their flying monkies who spread terror over the different forums which could be represented as towns. Each with their own problems and story.
Ha, I guess that would make Dave the final boss then.
Spoiler:
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

@gambit: I'd planned to add him to crazy list ... With you. He even somehow manages to appear in my dream. Be careful, he posseses forum omnipotent techniques.

Aha, dave should be included as badguy

And who's the cruelest sith/dev?
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

The Wesnoth Forum Faction might have useful for units for you.
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

Okay, now I have my character list. My campaign's story will be based on Great Forum Crash event. Trolls, spammers, and hackers are the antagonists.

I need some information about the crash, i have done some research but i still can't get important informations. When was it happen exactly? How long? Who's the forum saver? Who's the badguy?

help me, guys!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Reepurr wrote:Here's an important slice of 2006 history: danny_california. Continuous battles with Maeglin Dubh, continuous prattiness, continuous getting-on-people's-nerves. Oh yes, and don't call him by his forum name. It is imperative you call him Tristan, otherwise he'll ignore you. :roll:
He got better. Although we didn’t find out until many years later.

Regarding the Great Crash of 2008, it was caused by a major hard disk failure at our then new host, which corrupted our files and databases beyond recovery. After a month or so we switched to a new host and started from a backup created circa May 2008.

It’s not possible to say there were “villains” or “heroes” involved in that event IMO. I’d say that the recovery was a community effort involving everyone starting from the many known and unknown UMC authors reuploading their content to the add-ons server, to the users, artists, musicians and other contributors reposting their work in the forums.
Sapient wrote:The forum moderators used to be called Forum Sith. [...] Then came Turuk the "Forum Emperor."
That was my plan all along. :twisted:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.