The History of Wesnoth Forums

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

boru

Re: The History of Wesnoth Forums

Post by boru »

Note the date on that, Crend.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

My post was meant to be ironic. :wink:
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Mountain_King wrote:
Hulavuta wrote: Also I think it was because they wanted to give undead that type of attack too, which of course, wouldn't make sense for obvious reasons.
I remember seeing one of the developers (I think it was either Noy or TSI) say that this was the crux of it. The undead, as they were, had only cold for their magical attacks. With "holy" being renamed "arcane" it could be used for both white mages and ancient liches. The undead faction could have a bit more vareity, etc., etc.
Strange, there USED to be a link in my above post...

EDIT: Here's the old thread on it. Right here
EDIT Again: and this is the very post where the name was first proposed.
(It's also used for the elves, to represent "faerie" magic.)

Yeah, holy->arcane was made not because we had anything against holy, but because we both mandate a very limited set of damage types, and because we wanted something much more general than holy.

We had a lot of call for attacks that were "pure magic energy" in nature, with absolutely no "elemental" affiliation. We could have done a whole panoply of elements or spiritual-affiliations of magic, such as "holy", "shadow", "fey/ethereal/astral", "nature/plant/wood", "water", "chi" etc, but we decided that with our unit tree and gameplay such as it is, they weren't different enough to merit having this whole spread, so we generalized "holy" into being "arcane".
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I remember the dark times.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.